1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

66 Custom Getting Fixed

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Crashbelt, May 16, 2018.

1. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

Decided to get my well-played but mainly original 66 (in my avatar) sorted out by the brilliant JKG Guitars in East London.

Spent an unexpected couple of hours with Joe yesterday evening. Joe got straight in and rewound the previously re/overwound neck p'up with period correct wire, dipped in shellac and set the number of turns so the output matched the original bridge p'up.

He changed all the wiring with period- correct cloth wire and replaced the replacement switch with an original 66. Joe tightened up a lot of loose stuff too.

That leaves a refret, new nut, new jack cup to get it in great real 'roadworn' shape for gigging.

Here's a pic of it on Joe's bench with guard off. The job should be on the JKG f/b page when it's done.

20180516_093155.jpg

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Cool them custom teles post some pics when it is complete

3. stretford

stretford TDPRI Member

That looks very much like what you want to see under the pickguard. Is that a pencil date in the neck pickup route?

ianstrike likes this.
  4. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Period correct? I've always understood that to mean actual real stuff from the actual period. If that's the case then your guy really rocks. If it's new stuff that's made the correct way then it's not period correct. That's my understanding anyway. Looks like a lovely guitar though

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Love the wear.

That thick poly won't have that look no matter how hard it's played. It'll always look like candy.

6. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

My understanding is that period correct is referred as accurate repro stuff, or historically correct if you prefer.
    Actual real stuff from the actual period is referred as… something like actual real – or original - stuff from the actual period.

7. Adam Wolfaardt

8. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  9. Adam Wolfaardt

No reading about bikes needed. Just their definition.

10. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

That's how I understand 'period correct' too. Joe has a great stash of old parts and knows exactly which properly match the right year. So the switch and tip and the jack cup are original correct parts for a 66.

It's been worked hard over the years so the refret and new nut were necessary for playability.

It was a pity to find the neck pup had previously been poorly rewound (undisclosed by the original seller and I didn't spot it) but it was fun to see Joe scatter rewind it with the correct wire and dip it in shellac. Sounds so much better now.

I'm away now but will post some more pics next week.

LPTyler and Adam Wolfaardt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.