1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

65w rated speakers-65w head??

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dijos, Sep 9, 2010.

1. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

just making sure that a 65w speaker is supposed to be used with a 65w amp? I know it sounds stupid, but I have to ask.

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

It's not a stupid question, but it depends on what you're doing with it also. In the old days, they put 10W speakers in 10W amps. Distortion was also to be avoided. These days, if you play with distortion, the speaker wattage should be twice your amp wattage (some say more). The issue with distortion is that square waves (clipping) is pretty tough on speakers. Jam like that for a few songs and put your hand on the magnet - it's hot. An over-rated speaker will buy you some margin to make them last longer.

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Yeah, the idea is that a speaker rated at, say, 65 watts should be able to safely handle that much output power without blowing. I tend to try to err on the side of caution, for example my 20-wattish Traynor YGM-3 Guitar Mate amp has an 80-watt Celestion G12h-80 in it. Sounds great, is very unlikely to blow on me!

The number that you'll want to match is speaker impedance. If your amp is designed for an 8 ohm load, put an 8 ohm speaker in it!

Tim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.