65 PRRI opinions/alternatives needed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whoa Tele, Sep 23, 2014.

1. kupasa

kupasa Tele-Meister

I fully agree on this.

2. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I still have the Vox and it's my primary amplifier. Reason, I wanted the Vox sound. The PRRI was one of a string of amplifiers and was replaced with a Mesa Express 5:50 because I thought I needed a bigger amp.

For my Fender sound I have a vintage Bandmaster but I rarely use it, all I play is the Vox. If I didn't have the Bandmaster and wanted a Fender amp, I would buy the PRRI again.

3. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the replies. I've owned a couple of AC 15s (one with the Greenback and one with a Red Fang) and could never really bond with them. They worked well for rhythm playing but I could never seem to get a good lead sound from them. (probably skill related on my part) The Morpheus is another good option and I think it would be within my budget but I really do prefer to have reverb and tremelo on board. I also need to ask Much (or a Morpheus owner) about the available clean headroom. I'm grateful for all of the help.

4. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

I couldn't depart with my PRRI which I have owned for about 5 years. No rattle, no flubbiness in the bass. Just pure tone at any volume. I tried the Eminence Legend speaker & IMO it sucked the high end out of the amp so the stock speaker is back in. The stock speaker is voiced perfectly for that amp. Funny story, my drummer who is of the heavy metal variety listened to the amp and cranked the volume to 8, bass on 4, treble on 8 with a LP and was amazed at the R&R tone. From a Marshall lover, it was a huge compliment.

5. macdog

macdog Tele-Holic

THIS. The stock PRRI is a fine amp. Use the EQ and be aware of where you are playing and amp placement. Perhaps there should be an Amps 101 thread that covers the basics of what to think about when you plug a guitar into an amp. The PRRI sounds awesome cranked outdoors, f'rinstance!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.