'65 Princeton RI External Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

This is a great clarification! I was not aware of this difference in tube amps, only the danger of lower impedance for solid state amps (I've seen a few get fried over the years). I'm well inclined to take your word for it; there must be a reason for having two jacks. Thank you!

Wally likes this.
  2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

And as far as I know they use exactly the same parts. ( 'cept the speaky)

3. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I think I've read that they use the same pcb and circuit with a few component changes?

I think it would be most accurate to say the 68 is assembled in Mexico and the 65 is assembled in Usa, idk where the parts are actually manufactured.

4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Same prepopulated PCB's, same cabs, same tubes, same mounting of tubes, different speakers ( probably better) and some very few tweaks that make it sing more. Literally a couple of resistors difference.

Here are the two chassis
    [​IMG]
    exactly the same.

https://guitarampblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/fender-65-princeton-reverb-schematic-vs-68/

For me it's perfect, because I had a 1968 Twin Reverb, that I had modified in the 1970's to do all the same stuff. I detect NO lack of quality or build compared to the 65.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Very cool gut shots!

Are fender PCBs manufactured using a robotic soldering set up? (like the wave soldering etc. I've seen in pedal manufacurers videos?)

I never meant to infer the 65 was better quality than the 68 by mentioning one was USA and one was MIM. I only intended it as a clarification to a previous post.

jimash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.