65 Princeton 1X12 tweed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dayman, Oct 25, 2019.

1. dayman

dayman TDPRI Member

i believe this amp is a Sweetwater exclusive, here’s the link:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp-lacquered-tweed

This is a 65 Princeton in tweed with a 12 inch Cannabis Rex speaker in it. I currently have a twin reverb but it just feels excessive and i’m Tired of carrying it around. So, i’ve Been wanting either a deluxe or a Princeton for awhile. What i need is an amp that stays clean and gets kind of loud. I most likely will not be playing any large gigs with it. Maybe medium gigs. Mostly jamming with a band at a friends house. We do tend to get loud sometimes. I’ve gone up to 3.5 - 4 on the twin before to give you an idea.

My question is, do you think this amp has that type of clean headroom? Also, is this 12 inch Cana i Rex any good. Or should i go for the deluxe? Not sure why but I’m just drawn to the Princeton’s. I think because of how portable they are. Thanks for the input!

tery likes this.
  2. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

What style of music do you play?

The Cannabis Rex is the clean, loud, jazz speaker... thick, loud, and clean. I use it for those qualities is several of my amps.

The Princeton Reverb is a favorite; although not one of mine. The C-Rex will make a PR65 louder, bassy-er, and add bit of headroom.

My personal opinion is that the PR65 may not be loud enough. If you want an amp that stays clean and gets kind of loud, the PR isn't it.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

4. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I personally love a my 65 PRRI.

IMHO the PRRI is not a clean amp when it's breathing, breaks up easily at 6 and only get more crunchy and loose as you turn it up.

The C.Rex may give you a boost in perceived volume being more efficient than the stock 10".

Electric Warrior likes this.
  5. gregjhonda

gregjhonda Tele-Meister

I own the Sweetwater Tweed Princeton. The 12" speaker is a great bonus. The amp looks awesome in person and is a great version of the Princeton. It will not however replace your Twin Reverb volume wise. You should consider looking at the new Fender Twin Reverb Tonemaster. With its switchable power levels it can cover most of the Twin, DR, PR sounds.

6. dayman

dayman TDPRI Member

I play indie rock and classic rock type music. I do a lot of clean sound with a chorus pedal. I’m not looking for massively loud so obviously I don’t need it as loud as the twin. Just wondering if this thing can keep up. Keeping in mind that i play my twin in the 3 range on the dial, will the princeton stay clean at this volume, and what level is that on the Princeton dial? Thanks!

7. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Same here. Waiting for them to hit the used market.

Telecastoff1 and Dismalhead like this.
  8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, it's like they overpriced them by a hundred bucks or so. Since they're just slightly cheaper than the tube reissues, I'm guessing a lot of people won't be willing to shell out that kind of cash for a digital amp when they could just spend another hundred or so and get the real deal.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Telecastoff1 likes this.
  9. Tonyapple

Tonyapple TDPRI Member

I just tested a 65 Princeton Reverb and a 68 Princeton Reverb to figure out which one was my flavor. No doubt the 65 provided super clean headroom to about 6 on the volume. After that it does break up just a bit. I think that volume should suffice for you jamming with friends and smaller venues. Anything louder without breakup and you may just need a bigger amp. I also have HRD II and it stays clean at really loud levels.

10. dayman

dayman TDPRI Member

Also, fyi i play a strat. Not sure if that would create any issues for the 12 inch cannabis Rex? I spoke to a Sweetwater guy who was concerned that it may sound too shrill.

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Fender has several SE Princetons with 12" speakers. MF and GC have a burgundy one with a 12" Jensen, American Musical has (had) one with a 12" Celestion and Sweetwater has the one mentioned.

I have the burgundy one with Jensen. It definitely has more headroom than my prior Princeton RI with the 10" speaker. its' been a good pedal platform.

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

I do a solo act, playing a number of outdoor/patio venues. In that setting, the PRRI lacked sufficient clean headroom before breakup, and I chased that elusive goal with an upgraded OT, and internal mods that allowed for a bit more power, as well as a speaker upgrade to a 12 inch. The result was a great sounding amp that just broke up too early. I went to a '71 Deluxe Reverb, which generally fit the bill, but took it a couple of steps further by outfitting the DR with a 2x10 baffle, installing 2 JBL D110Fs, putting in a solid state rectifier and 6L6 power tubes. The result is basically a mini twin: about 30 watts, cleans out the wazoo, and tone to die for. Dirt is provided via pedal (Boss Blues Driver). This has become my main go to amp, with both a 1968 Twin and a SCDX in the mix as well. _526.JPG

nojazzhere, Dismalhead and D'tar like this.
  13. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Sounds Very much like my fav of all time the Vibrolux Reverb!!!! Wonderfull!

14. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Just to reiterate,

PRRI's will break up at gig volume.

Playing the second input, setting the bass low,more efficient speaker,choice circuit mods can all eek out a little more headroom out if It, but IME a princeton tends to dirty up.

I love it.

Princeton reverbs are very touch sensitive and dynamic when you have them running on 6/7, but they are also pretty crunchy/splatty if you bang on power chords.

fatcat likes this.
  15. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

If you want a decent amount of clean headroom I would recommend a Deluxe over a Princeton. Sure Princeton can do cleans but there won't be a ton of headroom/volume available before you hit breakup.

EsquireBoy and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I've got a bit of a different recommendation. I love princetons, but it sounds like you're looking for a tad bit more cleans than it'll likely deliver, even with the bigger speaker. You could certainly go with a deluxe, but what I'd seek out instead is a Music Man 65 112. It's a vintage amp built by Leo that can be had for about 600-700 (the cost of a deluxe reissue of you're lucky) and you'll get cleans that rival a blackface fender.

17. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

yup, just a little less power and a bit smaller cabinet, weighs in at about 50 lb with the jbls, but still quite manageable. Thanks!

18. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I have the amp you're looking at and it has very nice cleans, but not at the magnitude of a twin with 2 12s at 3.5. Spend another $100 and get the DRRI. I have that amp also and it's REALLY nice. The Deluxe is essentially a two-handed carry (unless you're young, big, and strong) while the Princeton is a piece of cake if you're going to lug it around a lot. There have been previous threads comparing the two amps and many musicians claim happy success at gigging with the Princeton. I think it mostly depends on how loud the other band members are and especially how hard the drummer hits. An Eminence ceramic speaker adds a serious punch through to either amp.

Binx likes this.
  19. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I have one. Love it.

You get more volume from the higher efficiency of the speaker in the tweed PRRI than from the extra wattage in a normal deluxe.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  20. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I put a CRex in my PRRI because ppl said it was great and cause Fender did a couple of FSRs with it.

I didn't like it at all! Suits ppl that want to de-Fender a Fender. No chime/sparkle, warm n mid focused.

IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.