65 DRRI clean tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hermit crab, Aug 8, 2019.

1. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Thanks man. I can see why. I do love it. Tele neck pickup, reverb and vibrato is like heaven !

It has way more vibe than any of my other amps and is warmer. Sounded amazing through my vintage 2 x 12 with aluminium dust cap speakers.

Guess im just not a one amp type of guy he he

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

If DRRI is crapping out and low vol should probably
    figure that out before major upgrades.
    I am not fond of the C12K but that is prob not it.

3. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I, personally, do not notice much difference in the tone of my 65 DRRI and my 1972 Master Volume Twin. I actually notice a bit more compression coming from my twin than my deluxe. I have JJ 6V6s in my power section and have the stock Jensen CK12 in it after trying other speakers. the DRRI is pretty clean in my experience, and I hit mine pretty hard on the front end. G&L MFD pickups in my Asat, and my other fenders, as well, which are a hotter pickup. I play it live on 4-5 on the vibrato channel, and it's on it's clean limit, in my experience. Still need pedals to make it overdrive at that volume. Get plenty of sustain at lower volumes, though. If you are wondering about compression, I would look at the Jensen speaker. Don't mean to sidetrack, but short story: I play fiddle through my DRRI, and I need a clean tone for it with no clipping at all. I run the fiddle through the normal channel, and if I get above 4 - 4 1/2, maybe at 5, I start to get the clipping and compression that this amp does. Anyway: I wonder if putting a more efficient speaker like an Eminence Swamp Thang, or an Eminence Lil' Texas like the pair in my 72 Twin, might help you to at least get more output vs. amp volume on the dial, and thereby: get less compression on the power tubes. The Swamp Thang is a VERY clean speaker, but a bit bright for my taste. Might not work, since the deluxe is a brighter toned amp. The Lil' Texas does have some natural compression, but in a way that warms up the character of the amp and evens out the tone, in my opinion. Really compliments the fender tone, and they cut when you need them to. I like them in my twin, and am going to take one and put it in my deluxe to try it.
    Hope this helps, and good luck. The DRRI is a great little amp.

4. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Thanks for this. I love DRRI, just very different clean sound from my other amps. Yes ive heard some old twins sound pretty different from the cleans they are known for but still magical !

The thing ive noticed when comparing speaker sensitivities is that it is mostly an eq balancing act. most high sensitivity rating eminence speakers tend to take from the low end, fill in the 400 hz dip and especially ramp up the highs compared to jensons, giving a very different and bass light response. probably good for cutting through live as long as you dont need more low end balance.

Interested to hear how you get on with the lil texas in the DR.

Bowpickins likes this.
  5. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Of course! :)

I put a Lil' Texas in my Deluxe Reverb this past weekend. Immediately noticed a bump up in volume, slightly smoothed out the highs, brought in some good mids, and tightened up the low end (I think I ran the bass control on the vibrato channel on 6 - 6.5), with no problem. Really made the amp sound big!!! Still a bit harsh with pedals on the vibrato channel, though. Unfortunately, I didn't try the normal side with pedals, but my fiddle sounded nice and clear with it. :)
    The smaller neo magnet lightened up the amp a little bit, too. The Lil' Texas neo speakers weigh about 4lbs. I think, but they pack a punch! I like the fullness they give my twin. :D
    Took it out and put it back in the twin, though, as I was replacing the cable rig for the speakers.
    Hope this helps!

6. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Sounds cool thanks. I saw your other thread about using DRRI live ....

Regarding pedals on vibrato channel. It only adds higher frequencies unlike bright switches on bigger Bf amps which also effect lower down. You can match normal channel with a boss ge7 eq pedal or behringer copy by reducing 6.4k shelf. This helps drive pedal harshness. If you need a bit more headroom maybe try the bass eq pedal instead to reduce highs and totally shelf 50 hz ( turn up 120 if need to rebalance ). Those deep lows arent needed for guitar or fiddle, take amp power ( regardless of speakers response ) and are usually high pass filtered at the board when mic'ed anyway.
    Of course there is a limit using 22 watts. A 40 watt amp will need valves changing less often ;)
    An AB Y pedal can make the amp channel switching so you can have drive channel on normal and fx on vibrato. If you want to mix channels you would need a radial ABY pedal with phase switch as the channels are out of phase, but these can be used to switch between two amps as they have transformer isolation against dangerous current if amps on different ( faulty) wall sockets. Wall Surge protectors also good :eek:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Bowpickins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.