65 DRRI clean tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hermit crab, Aug 8, 2019.

1. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Hi all,

So ive had this stock barely used DR with the twins C12K and GT labelled Jj 6V6-S for a while and love it but was very disappointed at first. I read that the jjs have a 6L6 like quality and thought with the bigger speaker it would have a solid clean tone but ive just had to accept this thing is all about a saturated, compressed and slightly distorted clean vibe even on quietest settings with a tele in input 2 !

Compared to my 2 x 6l6 .50 caliber plus boogie it is a much more distorted/compressed clean tone. Its even more saturated than my ac15 tbr ( when using a ge7 to cut its mids for a fender tone ) and that is cathode biased isnt it ? and even uses the same rectifier valve, so i know its not just the rectifier which wont be sagging much on 2 anyway.

Am pretty certain there is nothing wrong with it. It sounds like what ive heard on line. It sounds awesome, but its not what i would call particularly clean or dynamic. When i ramp up the bass i get long and thick sustain so its got to be the power valves nature right ? The tubeampstore review did mention these valves have a lot of compression even compared to other 6v6.

Anyone have similar experience or thoughts ?

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

DRRI with twins??

LuthRavin and 8barlouie like this.
  3. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

You must have a Twin Reverb! I have a 65 DRRI and love it. Mine originally came with GT 6V6(which weren't bad) and changed them out for JJ's. I used the GT's in another amp. I also swapped out the original Jensen speaker for a Weber 12F150(50 watt). It gives me just enough head room. Fender tube heaver!

4. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Sorry mean't same speaker as twin reverb reissue.

LuthRavin likes this.
  5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like something is wrong with the amp. I have played quite a few Deluxe Reverbs and I would not expect a healthy one to sound like that. At all.

schmee, LuthRavin, Jonzilla and 2 others like this.
  6. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

I have a strong preference for clean blackface Fender amps. I've owned a real 65 Deluxe Reverb for about 50 years, it's never been an amp I turn to for cleans outside of the bedroom. A Super Reverb on 2 1/2 or a twin Reverb sure but DeLuxes break up early. For years I've run a beefed-up power supply, NOS Phillips 5881's and a Jesen P12N just to have enough headroom to play with a drummer and have some dynamics.

black_doug likes this.
  7. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Thanks. That came out a bit wrong. It is still clean as in no obvious distortion even with bass on full and hitting strings hard. I mean the basic level of compression is much more than i am used to. Ive heard unhealthy amps that i suspect need filter caps replacing ( ? ) and the bass properly distorts over 3. This doesnt do that. The sound is strong and clean but has way more hair on it than i expected for a clean amp.

8. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

I actually wanted a twin but thought it might be too loud and too sterile or sharp on its quietest setting for my tinkering. Im now realising the deluxe is its naughty little brother and that i just cant tell from listening on line to amps.

9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I can get how the DR can be more compressed than a bigger 6L6 amp, even with the volume at 2.
    But « saturated » is not how I would describe a DR at 2, even with humbuckers. At this setting the amp should still be clean IME.

8barlouie likes this.
  10. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Im confusing things. By saturation i mean compression caused by increasing harmonic content and not outright distortion.

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Ha ok! But still, even though not as punchy as a higher headroom amp, the DR clean tone should not sound congested at all a that volume.
    But tone is so much subjective!

12. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

It is that.
    I think what im saying is that those 6v6-s valves dont make it sound much at all like a 6L6 amp to me but i realise theres more to it than power valves.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  13. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

DRRI mods I've done that really helped -

1) Clipped the C-10 capacitor, the bright clip mod. Smoother highs.

2) Replaced the 6V6 tubes with Winged =C= 6L6 tubes. Much nicer clean headroom. Rebias after of course.

3) Replaced the rectifier tube with a Weber Copper solid state rectifier. Again, more clean headroom. Rebias after of course.

4) Replaced stock speaker with Weber 12F150 speaker, lightly doped, 50 watts. Much better speaker than stock, perfect for this amp. Other favorites are Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas Heat.

5) Added a Weber Beam Blocker - disperses the telecaster bite around the room, saves my ears from a direct blast.

6) Routed the reverb signal thru Channel 1 - Love the 3 knob reverb tones!

Have fun...

14. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Wow thats a lot of mods ! I bet it sounds great.
    Did you notice much change going from 6v6 to 6l6 alone or did you do the ss rectifier at same time ?

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

There's something amiss with it. Have you had it biased? It should be a clean machine especially with the C12K. You should be able to play a club in a 5 piece band on 3 or 4 on the dial and be clean.
    Also, in a DR, compared with say an EL84 amp like Classic 30, Blues Jr etc, I hear no compression. Zero, no squish or soft attack at all. It's just not an amp that does compression.
    I usually play at V=3, T=5.5, B = 4 Even with an always on, low gain OD it's a clean machine. Gain set near zero.

BTW, some Fender amps almost go off with Volume at 2. Mine do. Ans even slightly above 2 the tone isn't right. Are you sure it isn't choked nearly off where you have it set? Set it at 3 and compare.

It's possible that you are used to 50 watts of 6L6 with your Mesa and you dont like 6V6's which are smooth sounding though.

Bowpickins likes this.
  16. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mine never acted like that one...stock speaker was a perfect match AFTER it was broken in(patients is required)..re biased warmer after adding mid 50's Raytheon 6v6's as it's fairly cold biased from the factory..NOS preamp tubes and I was extremely pleased with the results..mine hits it's sweet spot around 4-5 on the vol knob..Great reissue..yours sadly is in need of a checkup.."even on the quietest settings with a tele in input 2" yeah somethings not right..IMHO

17. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Going to 6L6 tubes is IMO the single best mod you can make to a DRRI.

Have fun...

hermit crab likes this.
  18. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

It is still fairly clean on 5 with bridge humbuckers !. Plenty of clean headroom. I think ive worded O P wrong. i believe it is fully healthy. When i say saturated and distorted on 2 i mean that it is a thicker clean with more hair on it than my other amps. It is however still clean.

19. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Thanks for help. mine comes on at 1.5 and comes to life at 2. 3 sounds the same but a touch livelier. it sounds great.

my boogie is my main squeeze so i think you are right. 6L6 is my favourite but this deluxe is also amazing. i just dont think the 6v6-s valves sound at all like 6l6. Smoother due to compression to me. Cheers

20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I changed my DR to 6L6's for a while. Proper OT and SS rectifier etc. I hated it! After 6V6's it just sounded sterile to me. I guess I'm just a 6V6 guy....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.