'65 DRRI Amp Power Cable Cut - Help?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tonytrout, Feb 11, 2015.

1. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

The wires on the power cable for my '65 DRRI are showing through the cable. They end at the three-pronged plug.

Is it very dangerous to use the amp like this? Should I get another power cable for my amp?

Thanks a bunch, fellas!

Take Care,
    Tony T.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's never a good idea to run an amp with a damaged power cable. Best case scenario, nothing happens. Worst case, you can get a nasty shock or start an electrical fire.

3. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Man you're gonna die! Hardware store or home improvement stores have replacements.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

tonyTrout, are you saying that the black insulation has separated from the hard vinyl plug and is thereby exposing those colored wires at that juncture? OR....are you looking at bared copper conductor wire??
    IN the second case, you definitely need a replacement plug on the end of the cable.
    IN the first case??? Yes...best to replace the plug....but I don't have too much of a problem with a well taped repair job for a temporary repair. Imho, a good tape job there is probably stronger than the original molded plug juncture.......all of these things pull apart there, it seems. Red plug, right??
    It is funny,.....I have a buddy's Pro Sonic head here that has a fantastic replacement three prong end on the cable...the red plug gave way just as you are describing. He wants to replace it with a molded plug cable...to look more correct, right? I told him that imho the hard vinyl plug that is there is far better than the stock arrangement or any new molded plug cable would be. IF you are not familiar with wiring grounded electrical cords, you might want to have a tech do it for you. You just need a good 3-way grounded plug...not a new cable. There is no need for anyone to go inside the chassis and replace the entire cable...with another weak molded plug, right?

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

TT, I would replace it as soon as possible. You may want to check Home Depot for a replacement cord made for power tools, they are usually more heavy-duty. Or, look for a 10 foot heavy-duty 3-prong extension cord. If you are not familiar with soldering, it should be a cheap job for a repair person. A vacuum repair place could do it.

IME, the screw-on replacement plugs don't hold up to the rock and roll world.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Blue Bill, I have never had to replace a 'screw on' 3-prong plug. I have replaced a huge number of molded end cables, though.
    Anytime anyone goes inside a chassis, the job should be charged a bench fee, imho. How long does it take you to pull a chassis, make sure the votlage is drained, R&R a power cable adn put the amp back together?? What is your time worth? While a tech is in there, the bias should be checked just as a standard thing, ime. Cheap???...yeah some people don't value their time...or anyone elses.
    A vacuum repair place to replace the cable??? Not inside a guitar amp chassis, imho. I don't think they are prepared for those dangers....YMMV. When you unplug a vacuum, there is no possibility of voltages lingering in there, right? (;^)

7. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking at.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.