65 deluxe ri help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Crazy neddie, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

I know there are plenty of threads on DRRI's and speakers. I just picked one up and I can see why. It isn't a really great sounding speaker. I got this amp used and I really don't know how old it is, it looks to have the original tubes in it. It has that Jensen speaker in it which seems to be flubby on the bottom, harsh on the top end and not much happening in the midrange. I think it sounds ugly as it breaks up, just my opinion. I can only assume this one is pretty broken in. If I replace this speaker I definitely want something less efficient, at least not louder. I also replaced the stock groove tubes (rebranded Electro Harmonix) with some Tung Sol reissues and the reverb driver tube with a JAN phillips NOS tube and that made the reverb much better. The preamp tubes are stock and I haven't had a chance to try anything else in there yet.

2. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I have a RI Jensen C12N in my SFDR and I think that it sounds great.

3. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I just bought a used DRRI. It was sent to Vintage Sound and converted to point to point wiring. It also has a Tone Tubby 40/40 hemp come speaker. Prob not what you're looking for but I'll be making a video review tomorrow when I get it.
    If you're looking for something inefficient I'd look into WGS stuff, really great stuff and affordable too.
    Here's s thread from TGP that will help:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1410131

4. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I have an old JBL 12" speaker in my DRRI and I wouldn't change it for anything......JH in Va.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Gold does a drri good!

6. Crazy neddie

I'm certainly considering a gold, except I hate to gamble on a $300 speaker and then still not be in love with the amp. I have tone Tubbies in my Super reverb and they are a great speaker. I also like what I hear about the weber DT12 and some of the WGS offerings. It's also possible this speaker has never really been broken in too.

7. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Not sure which speaker your amp has some early ones came with different speakers. Mine (2012) has the C12K and I think it sounds great. Several possibilities, speaker was pushed too hard for too long, a common issue with some players, preamp tubes are weak, volume and tone control settings, maybe your taste in music and what you like to hear and how hard you like to push an amp. I usually don't push my amp past 4, 5 is about all I can stand volume wise and really don't want much speaker or tube break up. If played much louder than that my drummer would shoot me (LOL).

Are you sure these are the stock 6V6's. Usually Fender put in Fender branded tubes, some times they were JJ's, and maybe GT branded too, not sure they ever put in EH branded tubes in them. Sounds like this amp has been pushed kind of hard in the past. I'd replace the preamp tubes especially V2 and the PI, but usually I replace all the tubes. Another thought, has this amp ever been rebiased? It could need adjustment. I don't trust many people who do this on their own, usually they set it too hot. You never know what someone else did to it.

8. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

The 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb has a Celestion G12V-70, which has a pretty tight bottom and really nice mid breakup. You could stop by your local Fender dealer and try one on the Vintage channel to get a feel for how it sounds in the 65 RI. Save you a couple hundred over the gold as well. Very much like it in my 68. YMMV.

9. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

^^^^^
    +1
    The V-type sounds great in my '68 CDR. At $99, I'm seriously considering getting another for my '75 SFDR.

10. Crazy neddie

Hey guys I biased the amp at about 22 MV using a bias probe. Not sure where the best setting is with these Tung Sols. I do not like the sound of an amp biased too hot, gets too congested sounding to me. But I don't like them too cold either.

11. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

There is no exact setting I think 22mA seems about right, I think I set my DRRI to about 21mA. It sounds fine and I'm using the Fender branded JJ's that it came with.

12. Crazy neddie

I had a twin reverb once that I discovered sounded incredible biased on the cold side, but really turned to ****e at moderate & hotter bias settings. Which shocked me as I expected the complete opposite.

13. Crazy neddie

Hey guys I ended up biasing this about 25 ma, sounds really good there. I looked at those old tubes again, and they were branded Fender, Electro Harmonix, and Groove Tubes. Yes 3 stamps on each tube! The amp sings quite nicely now and the breakup is much less ratty. However I think the speaker doesn't sound very good on the top end, just a tad harsh. Also a little cone cry here and there when I play lead up around the 12th fret. I put an old NOS Phillips 12AT7 in the reverb driver and that made it a touch better. I think a 12aU7 would work best in the reverb position. Anyway the amp sounds pretty darn good as is so I think it would be improved upon with a very good speaker.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Well you've got Tone tubbies 40/40, red alnico or San Rafael, Emi Copperheads, 1058's, lil buddies and Cajuns. Webers, WGS, Jupiter's, Alltone 1040.

My choice would be 40/40 just because it my fav speaker, but then that's just my opinion man. :D

You've already got TT low watt in your super if I remember right. 40/40 is dif world, fuller, richer, no flub or overly brite grit anywhere. San Rafael falls right in between, closer to low watt though.

You've got some soul searching to do as to wether you want a versatile workhorse (40/40) or a more vintage sounding recreation (Jupiter or 1058). Alltone will split the divide very nicely between American vintage and Brit blues/early rock tone.

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Put a Sylvania 5751 or 12ay7 in v1 if you want a smoother more buttery tone. You'll be surprised what even a RCA 12ax7a will do for taking that gritty edge off top end. But as with all thing preamp tubes that's fine tuning, speakers the money spot.

16. Crazy neddie

Yeah I liked a 5751 in a twin that I had, really sounded less hard to me. That was a JJ though. I do have some tubes I can try in the preamp tubes, I really think this amp has the factory fender groove tubes in it. I have no idea how old it is either, it does have a Jensen RI speaker in it.
    And yes the tone tubby low watt alnicos are great in the super, but truth be told my particular set of reconed CTS really sounded great and I sometimes miss them. I still have them so some day I may put them back in.

But I'm thinking what about a wGS Alnico? I was contemplating a gold in this amp but I bet WGS makes a pretty nice Alnico. I don't know much about them though. I also would consider the weber DT12 and I bet I would like that. I generally like a speaker with a mellower top end.

17. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Go with the Tone Tubby 40/40. There's a 0% chance you'll regret it and you'll probably end up putting them in all your amps!

I've got one in my hand wired DRRI and it makes it sound better than any vintage DR I've played. The biggest difference I noticed was with the bass response. It sounds huge and will never ever flab out.
    Some people say that hemp-coned speakers kill your top end. Not my experience at all with the 40/40. IMO it tames the super high, harshest part of the frequency while enhancing the good upper ranger (especially with Teles!).
    For example, I recently had a vintage Deluxe Reverb with the stock speaker. With my Tele I couldn't turn the bass over like 5 at gig volumes or it would flab out (I never actually took it to a gig because I was waiting for a damage claim to get resolved with FedEx but I played it loud at home a lot). Also, I couldn't turn the treble up past 5 unless I rolled the tone knob on my guitar waaaay back.
    With the TT speaker I can literally crank the vol, treb and bass and just have fun with my guitar's vol and tone knobs! My stock setting with my single coil Tele is something like: Treb- 8, Bass- 7, Volume- around 5 depending on how/if I'm using my brake lite attenuator, and Reverb on 3.5. At this setting its not even close to shrill but it's still nice and bright/punchy and when I hit an open Low E string or even fret a low note on the Low E string it sounds soooooo good. Really thumpy and full sounding but not over the top.
    Sorry for bragging on the speaker so much but it really is amazing. BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with Tone Tubby. Just a proud owner.
    The best part is you can find them on eBay for like $130-$150 shipped.

18. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

sounds like the spkr isn't broken in. if you asking for less efficiency, break it in.
    mine came with P12Q. i needed more...i got a Weber 12F150B, that's louder too.
    so, if you want less, go the other way, i'd say.
    i think since you wrote that you like it rebiased...break your current spk in really really good... then see. you'll need to crank it for while to do that, i guess.
    like maybe two weeks..,depending on your schedule.

19. Crazy neddie

Thanks for all the advice here guys. I suspected it may not be broken in even though this amp could be pretty old. It has that brittle papery tone of a new speaker. I have been cranking the amp pretty good, I really appreciate how I can get this amp up to 4-5 on the dial so easily compared to my Super and Bassman. I definitely do not care for the bright cap on the amp and at some point that will have to be clipped. I don't play with the amp down that low too often but I noticed it is pretty bright. Anyone know where on the volume knob the bright cap becomes disengaged completely?

20. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Can you describe this "cone cry" for me, please? I think that might be what's goin' on with mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.