65 Deluxe Reverb vs 68 Vibrolux

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ash Telecaster, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Supposing you could get either a 65 DRRI or one of the 68 silver face Custom Vibrolux Reverbs, same exact price. Which would you take and why?

Interested in your personal opinions. Not meeting a specific need, just an amp junkie.

If you have any thoughts on design or build quality I would like to hear about that too.

Thank you

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Neither. I'd get a SF DR or VR of any vintage, good speaker and service and enjoy the best bargain in Fender that'll hold value (except the very big amps which are great but hard to resell).

3. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

If you can, I believe this is the best option. I understand that sometimes this isn't possible or preferable.

Unfortunately, Fender's current amps (reissues) are made of cheap PC boards that will never be easily serviced. Nothing against PCBs, but these particular ones are bad. Get a cheaper Fender (Blues Junior, Pro Junior) or buy something of better workmanship.

If you shell out an extra two or three hundred (don't mean to upsell you), Allen Amps are great. US made, handwired, bulletproof, etc. They sound just as good or better and are easily serviced. Ultimately, they'll save you money by lasting a lifetime, rather than a few years.

There's something appealing to me about the Fender name, but their products aren't holding up to the name. A shame, really. I got over the brand snobbery hurdle and am glad I did. I now have a much better product (Allen Amps Hot Fudge). Do what you feel, but this is the conclusion my own experience has brought me to. YMMV.

Ricky D. and Ash Telecaster like this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Neither..the 68 CDR///the 2 channels work awesome jumpered...hit 5 on that amp and it comes alive..they got smart and put celestion V Type speaker in to help with the mids

ifallalot and Ash Telecaster like this.
  5. Ash Telecaster

Interesting idea. Its the custom channel that makes the 68's interesting. I wonder if there is a quality difference between the 68 and the 65?

bftfender likes this.
  6. Ash Telecaster

looks like the old silverfaces are holding their prices but might be worth it for a hand wired amp. Ill look into the Allens, thanks for the tip!

7. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

First of all, what price?

You can get Custom Vibrolux for $700 and DRRI all day at Reverb for $800. The Vibrolux is a bit more versatile, the Deluxe more of the Fender full sound.

8. Ash Telecaster

The 68 Vibrolux's on Reverb fall into the 950-1000 price range when you factor in the shipping. Thats more than the deal I stumbled across. I appreciate the tip though.

9. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

They're the same physical size more or less, and it really depends on whether you want that big bottle, cleaner sound or that spikier 6V6 sound.

I second the 68 CDR recommendation.

bftfender and Ash Telecaster like this.
  10. OldPup

OldPup TDPRI Member

Say modern PCB Princeton is at the upper limit of what you can afford, so you have one. If something with the PCB goes wrong down the road, is it possible to buy an amp kit, remove the PCB, and put together a hand-wired version in the same chassis, cabinet, etc.?

Greg_L likes this.
  11. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Seriously. What is the obsession with vintage SF and BF amps? Why does every Q about modern Fender amps inevitably stray into the vintage ones within 3.7 posts?

News flash - the BF reissues are great. Sound great. Roadworthy. Reliable. Yep, I said it. Oh, and easy to repair for any competent tech.

The ‘68s are cool amps too. MOSTLY they sound like their corresponding BF reissue cousin. I attribute most of the differences to the speaker choices rather than the few component tweaks.

As always. What is your application? What problem are you trying to solve. If it’s boredom and gear list, then who cares? Pick one randomly.

sonus, InkStained, LuthRavin and 5 others like this.
  12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

6l6 tubes all day long.

I had a '65 DRRI for a few years and like dit well enough. But, I found it got too loud for the small bedroom I was practicing in at the time. I did a coulpe of outdoor gigs, with poor sound, and the DRRI couldn't keep up.... I ended up transitioning to a 2x10 Vibroverb Reissue and never really looked back. I found the bigger Fender amps to have better low volume tone. I also like the glassier 6l6 tone as well.

I don't think we really need to even go into the bias vary trem vs. opto-wiggler thingy trem, do we? I'll just say, bias vary is much more to my liking any day of the week.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  13. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

If PCB's had existed in 1965, then Leo Fender would have used them.
    Yes, they do take the PCB's out and handwork some amps.
    And then they sell the boards on eBay, it's sp cheap you could buy a spare and put it in a drawer.
    https://www.ebay.com/i/273667743246?chn=ps

InkStained and Ash Telecaster like this.
  14. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

This bugs the hell out of me, too. Address the question at hand, or move on.

It must get tiring lugging that soapbox around all the time. I guess in order to justify doing so one has to climb atop it every once in awhile. :rolleyes:

Scott

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! That $3000 booteek hand-wired one-at-a-time tech is better than $800 consumer grade mass-produced electronics! Shocked! How can this be?! How did this happen in America?!

Anyway... I own and gig both the DRRI and the '68 Custom Vibrolux.
    I prefer the DRRI, but that's just me. I like the DRRI 6V6 breakup better than the Vibro's 6L6s. 2 x10 vs 1 x 12 is a toss-up. They are about the same size and weight. The bias Vibrato on the Vibro is better, but the louder you play, it tends to go away when the going gets loud, 'cause the tremolo depends on the output tubes, not a separate circuit. It's kind of cool to hear it come back as the note fades.
    Here's a fun fact: on the DRRI and the '68 Custom Vibrolux, the output transformers are exactly the same size. Any more headroom or cleanliness with the Vibro is due to the 30-watt 6L6 vs the 14-watt 6V6. The Vibrolux is not half a Twin by any stretch. More like a 2 x 10 Deluxe Reverb modded for 6L6s.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yes

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That should be doable. The typical BF or SF PR chassis is 18 1/4" wide so it's only 1/8" narrower than the PRRI 18 3/8" chassis. ...unless my accumulated chassis width file is totally rong about this.

18. Ash Telecaster

Great info! Thanks!

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

You don't service them, you replace them. Typical motherboards run under $100. Most amps have no more than two. It may be easier to replace a board by unplugging and plugging up cables, than troubleshooting a PTP, and dealing with solder.

20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

I think i got a 1974 Silverface Super Reverb 4x10 Today, If it checks out tomorrow gona bring it home. Stepping out for me, I have been really trying to get a fender. Doing some very dif stuff for us on this CD & got a strat set up pretty nice. The tweed deluxe head i have. just don't do well with it. I had a 68 CDR & regret trading that one. It was such a great lil amp.didn't expect all the goodness to come out of it. Jumpered channels as good as any i have played. My tech can put it to original specs if needed or mod to suit.Could it be that part of fenders mojo is in the combo setup in a way?

LuthRavin and Ash Telecaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.