65 Deluxe Reverb Head pro and contra

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LiteAsh, Dec 1, 2016.

1. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

I'm watching this amp on Thomann website, but never had a chance to play it. Not cheap but in the same time not very expensive. I allways like head and cab setup. Now I play Blues Junior. (Baja tele an Epi LP). I like BJ sounds. Most of time playing on apartment volume levels but also sporadicaly play a bit louder jam sessions, maybe a small gigs in future. I know this amp will be generaly louder then BJ. Can you compare this amps for me please? Cleans and headroom? What to think about Marshall 2525H Mini Jubilee head vs 65DR head vs Basbreaker Head? I can start to play on BJ loudspeaker, but probably go on 2x12 cab.

What you think?

Any answer or advice is very welcom

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The DR has a different approach to things...mainly in the preamp. That Blues Jr. and the Marshall have their roots in the 5F6A tweed Bassman world, and they develop gain in the preamp much differently than does the DR.

3. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

Thanks!

4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

A simple way to describe the difference would be to think of a 65 Deluxe as a low-ish 22-watt version of the classic Fender clean/ warm blackface sound. They break up a gig volume, but are getting into pretty high volume at that point.

The Blues Junior or a smaller Marshall, although different in tone, are more in the early breakup/ rock out at manageable volume territory. Blues Juniors use the same EL84 power tubes found in Voxes and lower powered Marshalls -- so they are actually more bright and gainy (roughly speaking, "British-sounding") than more conventional Fender amps like the Deluxe.

5. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

Thanks! Very usefull explanation. (And very nice blog)

flyswatter likes this.
  6. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

You're welcome. Good luck. BTW: In your travels if you come across a Vox AC10C, give it a try also. Released in 2015, the AC10 is another modern take on the 2X EL84 configuration. I used to own a Blues Jr. but prefer the AC10-- although both amps have their advantages and may appeal differently.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.