1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

65 Deluxe Reverb Amp: Cannabis Rex vs Jensen C12K

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Oakville Dave, May 2, 2021.

Most versatile speaker for gigging; Cannabis Rex or Jensen C12K?

1. Cannabis Rex

27.8%
  2. Jensen C12K

72.2%
  1. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Hello Amp Gurus,

I have the opportunity to choose between two used Deluxe Reverb amps; a standard 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue with the Jensen C12K speaker, and the limited edition Tweed version with the Cannabis Rex speaker. Because of the lockdown in my region, I won't have the opportunity to play either of them! I am buying from a reputable store so returning won't be an issue. I'll be playing a Tele - of course - a Gretsch, and a Schecter Stargazer 12.

I play in 2 very different bands; an 8 piece with 3 horns that plays classic rock, funk, soul, R&B, etc., and a country rock band - 6 piece with steel guitar. The Tweed version is $100 more.

So, I want to keep the sparkle and shimmer for both bands, and I'm worried from the reviews I've watched that the Cannabis Rex is going to be too little of that - very much more of a EVH "Brown Sound". Can the CR give me the sparkle and shimmer that I require?

I've heard that the C12K is not nearly as efficient as the Rex, which could be an issue on stage.
    So which speaker is the most versatile?

BTW, I REALLY love the look of the Tweed Limited Edition. Even though it's $100 more, I could always swap out the Cannabis Rex if it doesn't work for me. The upside of the Tweed is it's a demo so it has a full warranty, but the used standard won't.

Come on, Amp Gurus, which one is best?

DRRI Tweed.jpeg DRRI Black.jpeg

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Not voting because I have the stock c12k, but haven't tried the CR. I kinda like it, but I'm also curious.

Btw, Allesandro gets a lot of love. Had the 10 in my Princeton and it really is fantastic.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you want your amp to sound like a Deluxe Reverb the stock Jensen is perfect.

The C Rex makes the amp ponderous and stiff and dull. Even after I had pummeled mine for months it was ... papery. Sucked all the life and dynamics out of the circuit.

4. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I put the CR in my '79 SFDR to tame the brittle highs. It still has plenty of sparkle.

Telecastoff1 and Oakville Dave like this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If one runs a lot of dirt into their drri, do you still feel the c12k is a good choice?

Clean, the amp is perfect, wouldn't change a thing! That's why I bought it!

With dirt, I'm not sure if it's the speaker or the bright cap, but it's a little fizzy... Just a little, as most fender amps don't have a fizz problem IME, which is why I'm a fender amp guy.

The normal channel does alleviate some of the dirt fizz, but it has a different character, and no reverb :(

I'll probably clip the bright cap before i yank that sweet Jensen speaker.

Oakville Dave likes this.
  6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I have both speakers.
    You can’t go wrong with either amp imo.

7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Deluxe Reverbs are funny. They have that annoying bright cap which you can clip, or you can "tame" it with a hemp cone speaker. Or you can embrace it when playing below 5 on the volume dial by cranking the bass to 10 and lowering the treble to 4 or 5.

Personally I'd opt for the regular Jensen DRRI if only for the lower price and the non-tweed look. A BF amp shouldn't have tweed.

I feel like a hemp cone speaker in a DR is treating a symptom, but not the disease, which is the bright cap in that Vibrato channel.

Oakville Dave and MilwMark like this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hard to say. I’ve never had that issue. Nor have any of the various bandmates who used DRs or PRs.

Maybe it’s because we don’t “slam the front end” or we generally turn them up to 4-6.

I was a habitual speaker swapper in DRs until I spent time next to a bandmate’s stock reissue and realized I never actually heard any of the “problems” the Internet told me I should. I just heard bright, chimey, dymanic, and with ODs, dare I say - thick.

I tried the Alessandro. Nice speaker. Worlds better than the C Rex IMO. Not as good as the stock Jensen live.

9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

C Rex to de-Fender a Fender.

If u like the C Rex, u shud never have bought a Fender in the first place.

10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

You can easily put reverb/tremolo in the normal channel. This will also put the channels in phase so they can be used at the same time. Note the blue wire, and clipped resistor on the right. That is all it takes.

fritz mod.JPG

11. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Thanks to everyone, you’ve confirmed my own suspicions. Yes, I definitely want the classic DR sound so the stock Jensen it is.

Axegrinder77 and AlbertaGriff like this.
  12. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

With those big bands I would probably go with the Jensen C12K. It is a big clean sound. The Rex could get lost in the mix some as it's more warm etc.
    -The C12K is a pretty loud speaker IME. At any rate 1/2 notch on the volume dial will make up for any difference anyway.
    -The CRex I had.... my impression is it wasn't as loud a speaker. I know it's rated efficient but didn't sound that way to me. Maybe it's the "getting lost in the mix" thing.
    -The other thing is you may lose the sparkle you mention with the Rex.
    -BUT one advantage of the CRex is it would be more sellable so you can get the speaker you really want! (Emi GA SC64!)

14. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Skip the jensen. It ain't like the old ones. I say a GB128. Those who know, know.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I once put a CRex in a Blues Jr. and thought it was a great match. But now I have a DRRI and think the Jensen is a perfect match. My ears do not hear an overly bright amp in the DRRI, nor do I hear anything that needs to be tamed. Sounds good as-is.

MilwMark and Oakville Dave like this.
  16. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I tried a C Rex in my DRRI and hated it. I had to turn the bass almost all the way off to get any clarity. It lived in my Blues Jr for a while, where it didn't sound very different from the stock speaker. That was perplexing, given how much of a difference it had made in the DRRI.

However, I absolutely love it in my original no-logo 1964 BFDR, which had an old English Vintage 30 in it for years (the original CTS speaker was shot). With the Vintage 30, I'd often run it with the bass on 8; the C Rex usually calls for a setting around 5-6, depending on volume. I typically have the treble on 3.5-4.25 with the bright cap clipped, old Sylvania JAN power tubes biased at about 65%, and a mix of new and old pre-amp and PI tubes. There's definitely no lack of treble!

I think the stock Jensen is probably better for players who run the amp on the hotter side, in terms of both bias and volume, at least if the objective is early breakup. I like it clean with plenty of low end, since I play lots of surf, old-school country, and jazzy, atmospheric stuff with a bit of a Tom Verlaine/Marc Ribot vibe.

17. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I grew up on old Fender Twins, Dual Showman and Showman amps since the early 60's, playing squeaky clean Country with lots of low end thump and sparkly highs....the stuff Fenders had always been known for. So, for years I avoided small amps like the plague, despising their thin, tinny, brittle sound, with no low end to speak of. Definitely not my sound, no matter how I played those little amps.
    Recently, however...I came upon a good trade for a DRRI and thought I'd try one again and see if I could adapt. The original owner had installed a Weber Blue Dog Alnico 50 in the amp, and included the original Jensen with the trade. The Weber, to me, sounded like muffled garbage with a blanket pulled over it. So, I removed it and installed the original Jensen. The Jensen was just the opposite of the Weber....sounding like sandpaper, thin and tinny. I couldn't urge any nice clean low end out of it. So, I grabbed a C-Rex I had stored away and put it in this amp. The difference was like night and day. The fullness was suddenly here with all of the low end and sparkle I had come accustomed to in all my years of playing thru big Fender amps. I'm really glad I tried the C-rex in this amp, because I was getting ready to blow this one off as yet another worthless little amp. This is the Fender sound I'm familiar with. Clean and punchy....with balls to the walls sound and clarity.
    I believe it all boils down to one's playing style, music choice and expectations. There is no right or wrong, only one's preference and what their expectations are.

INFANT likes this.
  18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I kind of like the C. Rex. I use it in some of my amps. It is a personal taste thing. If you want your Fender to sound like a Fender go with the stock speaker.
    My Traynor YCV40WR came with a Vintage 30 .... I hated the way it sounded, So I dropped a C Rex in and now I like it. The Fender I would keep stock.
    The thing to remember is that just because you like a particular speaker doesn't mean that you will like the way it sounds in every amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.