'65 Deluxe Reverb 6L6 Conversion Question

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by prospectbox, Apr 11, 2014.

1. prospectbox

prospectbox TDPRI Member

Hi all... A year ago I had my old '65 Deluxe Reverb serviced/re-capped and the amp tech talked me into a 6L6 conversion, which sounds pretty nice I'll admit.

I've recently read on fenderguru.com that a 6L6 conversion on a DR would change the speaker load to 4Ohm, but I've already put an 8Ohm Cannibus Rex in it. Nothing sounds wrong, but I was just curious if I'm wearing anything out prematurely or missing some tonal aspects or additional volume becuase I'm still using an 8Ohm speaker. Clearly, I'm not a technical guy with regard to amps.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Lucy&DR.jpg

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

It depends on what they did to convert it. 6L6 conversions were popular years ago when there were no good new 6V6's, but that's no longer the case.

3. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Many years ago I did it myself for a while with my '66 BFDR. Never heard of an issue using 6L6's in a DR (except to rebias it), where you had to change to a 4 ohm speaker. Although there may be a difference in output impedance between 6L6's and 6V6's, I think it's less important than output to the speaker and the OT should be able to take the impedance, maybe not a big change in wattage if you boosted the PV much. My understanding is what the OT sees from the tubes isn't the problem, it's what the speaker sees from the OT that can put stress on OT. My concern is the stress on the PT to supply enough power to the tubes. Saying this I think it's better to run your vintage amp as it was intended. If you really want to run a DR with 6L6's get a DRRI and put in a Vibrolux PT and you'll like it.

4. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it has to do with the output impedance on the tube. My new OT has 5k and 8k primaries. The 8k is for the 6V6. If I dropped a 6L6 in there, 8 ohm output would want to see 4 ohms from what I understand. Though, I plan to wire in a 2-way SPDT switch to toggle between the two primary taps on the OT to make switching between 6L6 and 6V6 tubes easier without having to worry about speaker impedance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.