'65 BF Twin Reverb - pulled V1 tube, killed amp

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Tone Fiend, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^^^^

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

What he said. There's no way that pulling that tube caused this. There are lots of ways that the process of pulling that tube caused something else to wiggle loose that caused you to lose power.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...I think everyone appreciates the wonder of a Twin in full operational mode - but I'd be more worried that the fist pump is a little too early. Without having actually figured out what happened, it may only be a matter of time before it either happens again, or worse yet, triggers some other damage.

my grandfather, a doctor, used to say that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It took me too many times of expensive lessons to finally understand what that meant.

but I'm probably preachin' to the choir here...

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nothing was fixed. Whatever happened will surely show up again, sooner or later.

5. Wally

Agreed....tech time is.

6. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

Rectifier tube ok?

7. Wally

There is no rectifier tube in a Twin Reverb. AS noted by Fred Mertz, the problem is likely in the AC power supply....switch?? Connection??? AC power cord??

One might wonder as to how long it has been since this 1965 Fender TR has been serviced by a tech??? I am one....and I am wondering that right now.

8. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

4 years, he said in an earlier post.

9. Tone Fiend

Tone Fiend TDPRI Member

For the record, the 65 TR is still working perfectly. I also regularly use my 51 Gibson GA-20 & 62 blonde Bassman. 65 TR is the BOSS. I run it with the Bassman cab. I have no desire to purchase any other amps, ever. (The 65 was purchased in 65 by my grandfather.. I'm EXTREMELY proud of it).

I hope everyone here is doing well. Best forum on the internets!

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi T. Since it is so special to you, my suggestion would be to take it to a tech before that happens again – perhaps even onstage :S.

You do have good spares at home to keep you happily plugged in while your big boy is away for the fitness check :D

Tone Fiend likes this.
  11. Tone Fiend

Tone Fiend TDPRI Member

Thank you, sir. I know you're providing excellent advice in having my TR gone over by a pro. I'd really like to do that, but money is an issue at the moment. I think I'll start digging back in & check it out myself. That'll be a great learning experience for me. Now to figure out where to start ;)

RadioFM74 likes this.
  12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I respect that 100%. But my very last suggestion would be: ask in advance how much they’d want to check your power supply. It might be very little, and very well spent. RadioFM out :D

And: (1) congrats on your wonderful collection (I want an old Gibson dammit, for those Barney Kessel tones!), (2) I wish you lots of enjoyment and music with your big twin!

Tone Fiend likes this.
  13. Tone Fiend

Tone Fiend TDPRI Member

Thank you very much. I'll try to find a good tech here in Memphis. Surely there's no shortage in the area..
    The Gibson... man... I wanted a tweed deluxe but as you know their prices are a little prohibitive. The Gibson absolutely NAILS that tone & for "only" $600. I can't recommend it highly enough. Get one!!

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.