65 Bassman into 1x12 Combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Red Planet, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Anyone give this a try. I picked up a 65 Bassman the other day for a song and goona stick it into a Blonde / Wheat 1X12 Combo Cab.

Gonna try a Jensen Neo in it to see what those sound like with it.

May try some Eminences with it as well. Wizar, Screaming Eagle, and a few others to find the one that javes with this Combination.

This thing was heavely modded and Jeff Andrews is bringing it back to Specs. Gonna make the Bass Channel a Normal Channel with a Mid Boost instead of Bright Switch.

Just Curious how many others have tried this and what the results were? I wont know on mine till I getr it all together.

2. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

that will make a great combo

I play my 65 bassman head thru a 1x12 cab

3. mr_hankey

mr_hankey Tele-Meister

I ordered two Eminence Red White & Blues a little while ago for my '64 Bassman. I haven't had the chance to try them yet, though. I'm sticking to the head+2x12 setup.

4. reverberocket2

reverberocket2 Tele-Holic

I've been using a 1x12 cab loaded with an Eminence Tonker with my BF Showman. It sounds very good - fat, tight bass, clean. Check the specs and sound samples at the Eminence website.

I finally scored a 1x15 cab for the Showman (going to load it with a Jen Neo 15-150) so I'm letting the Tonker go, PM if you are interested.

5. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

re

I think it's a great idea. I'd like to hear when of those in a 2x10 combo.

6. PhatTele

PhatTele Tele-Holic

I use a BF Bassman head hooked up to an open back 2x10 cab for our surf band. It works great.

7. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Local shop has a 50 watt BF bassman in an aftermarket 1x15 combo cab. Looks great, but if I ever splurge on a BF, I'm gonna want 'verb. 'Tan' tolex looks sweet, though. Cab has a Jensen Mod 15 in it, maybe I'll give it a spin next time I'm there just for kicks.

I guess the most telling thing is that I KNOW one of the guys that works there is an absolute 15" speaker nut, but it's still there...

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Thanx for all the info guys. I tried several speakers and liked the Wizard the best so far.

What I was thinking is getting a matching 1x12 Cab later to be able to make a 2x12 set if I need a bigger sound using an 8 ohm speaker in each for a 4 ohm total when using both.

I havent gotten the Combo Cab yet I just played it through a Closed Back 1x12 Cab with the back off to get an idea. The Combo Cab is oredered and the builder is local. It should be ready any day. Cant wait to get it all together.

9. ray

ray Tele-Meister

So all of you that run a single speaker cab are using 8 ohm speakers? My Silver Face Bassman wants to see a 4 ohm speaker load. Just wondering if this is OK.
    Ray

10. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Got a '70 Bassman head built into a 2x10 cabinet, stocked with Celestion Vintage 30's. Could not be any happier!

11. firebill

firebill TDPRI Member

bassman hed through 1x12

I having my '67 AB165 refurbed to essentially AA864. My amp tech tells me unless I'm pushing the amp flat out or real hard all the time, playing through an 8 ohm 112 won't be a problem.

I plan on using a 112 with Emi Wizard or Tonker for smaller/lighter venues and a 212 with I-don't-know-what-yet for the heavier stuff.

Suggestions on what speakers to load into the 212 would be most appreciated. Country, jazz, rock.

I really want to check out what the Bassman sounds like through a good 115...I'm figuring humongous.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

FWIW and IMHO, the AB165 is better suited for guitar than is the '64 circuit. The channels have equal numbers of gain stages. The Normal channel is hotter in the AB165 than in the '64, and you can chain the channels together for the added tonal complexity. This is what Hendrix did with those 4-hole Marshalls that have such a bassy second channel.
    So, imho, try an AB165 stock before reverting to '64 specs. I always change the bias section back to '64, but I don't believe in revoicing or changing the gain stage arrangement to the '64. The AB165 and later 2X6L6 Bassman amps have more gain than earlier Bassman heads, and the voicing works for hot guitar very well.

13. firebill

firebill TDPRI Member

Wally, I hear ya, and thanks....your input here is big-time on my list of questions/issues for my tech. Yeah, like many, I used to chain the channels on my JMP 50, worked real good. Thanks.

14. firebill

firebill TDPRI Member

And also I read some recent threads, and it seems I have more to talk with Mr. Tech about any "conversion." Maybe a simple cleanup will do just fine. Rock on.

15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Here's a clip of a slow blues backing track with my '66 Allen/master volume modded Bassman head. I used the bass channel Plexi setting. For the recording, I've got the head running through a Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary speaker in my Sewell's open back cab. I used my '96 50's RI Strat loaded with Fender Vintage Noiseless P/U's and had it set in the 4th position for the recording. I was going for a very light overdrive tone,but this thing can get some really heavy modded Marshall Plexi tones when pushed hard. Here's the link.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=633883&songID=5722926

[​IMG]

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Cool.:cool:

Just for the record it was a 67 not a 65 like I stated. Though it was heavily modded so it didnt matter. My Tech is Jeff Andrews and I dont know zactly what he did but it be good. I believe he said he took the Power Amp Section to AA864 but did something to the both Channels so they both go through V2 but the Bass Channel now has a Mid Boost and isnt a Bass Channel anymore but still has more Bass. I'm jumpering the Channels and tayloring each to get the most Clean Headroom out of it and then slaming it with my Turbo Tube Screamer for the goods.

I'm still waiting on my Cab to come. I'm currently planning on using a Wizard with it and may get a 1x12 Extension Cab with another Wizard later on. Though it sounds fine runing it at 8 ohms now.

Oddly enuff the Power Supply Tranny was replaced with a non Fender but its definately 60's Vintage by looking at it. Its much bigger with a few extra taps the origional wouldnt have. It has no numbers or name on it but it has the correct voltages so I'm gonna leave it as is.

So far I'm really loving this Amp and cant wait to get it into its cab. Smooth Blonde with Wheat Grill. :lol:

17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I guess you want it to look like this Bassman head. Huh?

[​IMG]

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Sweet! That be it except in a Combo Cab. Id like to find another for a good deal. A 6G6 would be extra special.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

OK I played it for a while last night. It sounds fine with the Wizard Cleand but is a little Harsh Dirty. I played it through my 2x12 with Greenbacks and it didnt sound as good Clean but sounded amasing Dirty.

Hmmmmmmm.

I found a large older Eminence that Cameout of a Fender rated at 100 watts I may try that plus some others.

Any suggestions?

20. fungusyoung

fungusyoung Tele-Afflicted

I just recorded earlier today with my Les Paul Jr. through a SF '68 Bassman & Avatar 2x12 cab (with 8 ohm Celestion G12L-35's). It sounded amazing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.