1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'64 Vox AC30

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by corliss1, Oct 21, 2020.

1. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Fiiiiiiiiiine :D

The front - some serious mojo

1.JPG

Back - also serious mojo

IMG_5345.JPG

So British

IMG_5346.JPG

Someone thought they had a good idea back in the day...

IMG_5347.JPG
    Do...do I see this actually had a service done? That can't be right........(notice extra tube for the tob boost circuit inside the amp there)

IMG_5348.JPG

Numbers

IMG_5349.JPG

Has the correct multi-tap PT:

IMG_5350.JPG

So if you've never ripped apart a Vox before, the first thing you have to do is unscrew the speaker wires from this little terminal board.

IMG_5351.JPG

After that, you'll quickly realize that nothing is holding these amps together. They sit on a piece of plywood that is attached to.............nothing. It sits in rails on each side and just holds the chassis up. Here we can see it starting to slide out.

IMG_5352.JPG

Back with original speakers:

IMG_5353.JPG

2. corliss1

The customer complaint - "Just got it today. Had it shipped. Hums, and isn't very loud."

Well, that doesn't sound like an AC30. We'll make it loud, and teach it some words so it doesn't hum anymore. (not even sorry about that joke)

Speaker close up:

IMG_5354.JPG

First sign this could get interesting - looks like some shipping damage. Remember how I said that plywood isn't attached? What most likely happened is that the plywood slammed into the back panel, and popped this nut insert loose, breaking away some wood in the process. No big deal - we'll epoxy it in later on when I get to that point.

IMG_5355.JPG

Only logo left on it:

IMG_5358.JPG

Guts removed:

IMG_5359.JPG

More evidence of actually being serviced:

IMG_5360.JPG

Let's flip it over and get that plywood off to see the guts. That middle screw is also holding on the top boost board bracket.

IMG_5361.JPG

More servicing. It's not the prettiest solder work, but it's all solid.

IMG_5362.JPG

Man, these resistors look cooked (file this away for later...)

IMG_5363.JPG

More cooked evidence:

IMG_5364.JPG

3. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Too cool, subscribed. :cool:

corliss1 likes this.
  4. corliss1

Alright, so it's serviced pretty recently and doesn't need a cap job. Let's fire it up and see what happens. We'll grab a scrap piece of wire and hook it up to that terminal block so we can connect some speakers:

IMG_5365.JPG

And then we'll plug it in........oh, no we won't. It's still British...

IMG_5366.JPG

Made it more American, then we plug it in, and we get this:

IMG_5367.JPG

That's certainly not ideal. Half the power supply is redplating and that would definitely cause quiet and hum. And certainly could cause those cooked resistors.

So...where do those connections go. Oh, to this broken wire that feeds half the power supply:

IMG_5368.JPG

So here's what happened. The previous service, which also included a replaced tube socket, seemed to shorten that wire. The wire was so tight it was pulling on the board, and broke. I couldn't reuse the old wire since it was so short, and even shorter after breaking, so I replaced the wire. That allowed the amp to actually function, but those super cooked resistors needed to go too. There were also 50% off spec.

Clean that hole:

IMG_5369.JPG

New wire that actually wraps around the hole:

IMG_5370.JPG

Shiny new 1.5K resistors. Reused the original spaghetti except on one that was torn:

IMG_5372.JPG

So cooked:

IMG_5371.JPG

Nice pretty solder now:

IMG_5373.JPG

So that's where we're at. Gonna talk to the customer, probably recommend new tubes since I'm guessing those cooked like that for a while (and you can see the one side is burned more for sure) and then it'll be back to its home!

As usual, these amps sound fantastic. Has all the "chime" and other Vox-y buzzwords attributed to this model. The trem is fun, footswitch is there and works.

JamesAM, Piotr, Jon Snell and 2 others like this.
  5. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Looks similar to my old '64. It was a copper panel with integrated top boost. Always good to see the Wima caps.

corliss1 likes this.
  6. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

@corliss1 nice guts! How much of the vintage value did you destroy by replacing the magic mojo original wire, d'ya s'pose?

corliss1 likes this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Noice. Sweet amp.
    My favorite sound in the world is a Tele or Gretsch running through a splitter into a Twin and an AC.

Wulf and corliss1 like this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

They're little windows! Into a 4th dimension!

corliss1 likes this.
  9. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

Wima still make excellent caps. I don't see them around here, probably because they're all radial format these days, but they're quite popular in other areas of the audio electronics world. Nelson Pass uses them a lot in his builds for example.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.