1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

64 thin skin tele with twisted pickups and broadcaster wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

I just had my Tele wired with the Broadcaster wiring per that Joe Gore article.

I had previously modded the guitar by also putting a Gotoh brass plate and 5 saddle bridge on it. This was done before the wiring switch, so any changes in tone afterward had to come from the new wiring.

Here are my impressions:

Position 1
    to review this is the bridge and neck with a blend pot, no tone pot
    - the effect of the blend pot through its whole range was more subtle than I thought it would be (except when comparing being dialed in for the bridge alone to dialing for the both pickups at the other extreme of the knob range) and yet the whole range of tones from bridge to bridge/neck together, and everything in between, sound noticeably better to me than with the traditional 3 way wiring, like much better dare I say
    - when the bridge only is dialed in, I feel like the bridge tone is better, it has a bit more cut and presence, and it doesn't seem quite as dark as before..it growls a bit more but is more clear and less dark at the same time
    - when the bridge and neck are both dialed in, the tone seems less scooped and has more fullness in a way, then before, but clarity has somehow increased at the same time, with a bit more added sparkle and presence
    - even though there is a lot of subtlety through some of the range of the blend, one can subtly but still noticeably make tweaks to either the bridge or two pickup tones in a cool way that I dig big time, and that aren't available with the trad. 3 position wiring of course
    - I really really like this position with the blend pot dialed back half way from the bridge, and even a tad more, for rhythm and arpeggio stuff, and it is great for lead too, and then with a quick tweak of the pinkie I turn it to full on bridge for a killer bridge lead tone..in a way it is good that the changes in the middle range aren't so drastic because it is not difficult to then roll back to your prior tone, or something close thereto..I should also add that I have my bridge pickup set up so that it is a little louder then the neck position

Position 2
    neck pickup, no tone pot
    - I was worried about this position becoming too bright or thin, but this hasn't been the case at all; the neck position just seems to have more clarity and a little more sparkle and presence in a really good way, just a gorgeous 3d neck pickup tone

Position 3
    neck pickup with a cap to make it very dark sounding (can change this darkness based on the value one chooses)
    - most are probably going to hate this setting, so much maybe that they reject the whole wiring scheme!
    - you can use a lower value cap however so that you get a neck position with just enough high end rolled off so that you use it as the warmer, more jazzy or bluesy, neck sounding position
    - I can see having use for this setting however for some fat dark heavy fuzz tones...or for some White Stripes pseudo bass lines possibly
    - volume seems to drop off a bit too much for me however when I use this setting, and I think that removing the 15k resistor and jumping that spot is supposed to bring the volume back up...but I like the other positions' tone so much that I'm afraid to change anything that may screw them up by removing that resistor, although I suspect that this is pure electronic ignorance on my part and the other tones won't change at all

Potential problems
    - if you already have a very bright guitar/pickup set this combo may prove to be too bright maybe??? I don't know..maybe that is why this wiring seems to work great with the hotter and darker bridge pickups...conversely maybe that is why I thought my 10K Bridge twisted tele pickup sounded too dark for my tastes when the guitar had the traditional 3 way position wiring

Does anyone know how I can increase the volume of position 3 without screwing up the rest of the wiring?

[​IMG]

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I left off the resistor (jumpered) and used only a .010uf cap for pos 3. Positions 1 and 2 sound like you described. I should add I have a SD Broadcaster in the bridge and an SD '59 humbucker in the neck, reversed like Micawber. Also used a no-load pot for the blend. Did you also use a no-load? That would account for the changes you found in the bridge-only position. I'm guessing you have this pic already but just in case:

Broadcaster_joenotes-791x1024.jpg
    Cheers,
    Rex

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Like Rex, I've got a humbucker neck pickup so the blended tone is different than with two single coils. It's a 5-string open g guitar.

I'm on position 1 most of the time, but position 2 is good for nasty blues.

I like the available tones so much that I'd like to my small herd with a six string standard tune, same pickup/wiring.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Nocaster / blend wiring on my 52 Hot Rod and had no use for the dark tone, so I clipped the cap connection and now the neck position (minibucker) is straight to the volume pot and sounds wonderful.

5. dkmw

How is that different from position 2?

metale likes this.
  6. rze99

Absolutely none... in theory.. Probably my imagination but to my ears it sounds just a tiny bit purer than position to 2. Im a sure an illusion.

I wanted to to bypass dark because I would habitually switch to that position for the neck pickup, I wanted it to do what I habitually expect. And I like the mini humbucker with no tone pot.

dkmw likes this.
  7. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

You can keep that position 3 and put something useful on position 2, like Eldred cocked wah or something.

8. dkmw

Makes sense. I've unintentionally hit pos 3 a few times myself.

Having recently put together an esquire with the cocked wah imitation as position 3, I wonder if it would be possible on a two pickup guitar? Or does that only work on single coils?

I don't know wiring specifics, but the cocked wah thing on a neck humbucker intrigues me...

9. rze99

I could do, but to honest I don't like the cocked tones wired in at all. I can just use my Wah pedal and get a range.

I think the blend is cool and I want to keep that.

10. RocknRollShakeUp

Yes I believe my tech used a no load pot, I think it was the Emerson Pro no load blender pot off of stew Mac. Thank you for posting that diagram, that's the one my tech used I think!

Even though I haven't soldered in a decade, when I get a chance I am going to attempt the probably laughably easy, for some of you :D, job of removing the resistor and jumping it! Err....what kind of wire do you use to jumper that position?

Also how dark does the neck pickup get in position 3 with the .010 uF cap?

Thanks!

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

With the .010 cap, Pos 3 is kind of "Tumblin' Dice" ish (First lick off Exile, not the subsequent licks).
    You can use about anything for the jumper. Snip a quarter inch of a small diameter paper clip and you'd be good to go, if you don't have something fancier. Hint, do the snipping after you already soldered one end in place and you'll have more to hang on to. For proper wire, it can be solid core or stranded, and nothing very fat is needed. 20-24 gauge is fine.
    Good luck,
    Rex

12. RocknRollShakeUp

Got it and thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.