64 Pure Vintage is an awesome telecaster.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KeithRichard, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Totally Bored

Totally Bored TDPRI Member

Played a Lake Blue Poacid one last night and aim totally gassing for it. It has a lttlle chip on the neck near the tuners that don't effect playability and they said $1675 out the door including tax. Seems fair what do you guys think ?

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I think that's a pretty fair price if it's new, might get them to come down a little more. I say go for it if you love it.

3. Totally Bored

Totally Bored TDPRI Member

Thanks

Yeah it felt real good in my hands and it weighed only 7.5 lbs. Gas is a terrible thing

4. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

I really like them, they have that tele twang but the fact they are slightly hotter than the other PV pups means you can get quite a nice ballsy rock tone too. Sounds great with some mild distortion and the tone rolled off a bit to darken it up. It's naturally bright, but the tone control is excellent, its pretty versatile really.

5. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

When I got my 64 I did a comparison with Lollars, Budz, Voodoo, SD's a some others.. was surprised to find that to my ears the 64 sounded the best..

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yup. I feel like some shallow lady, shoe-shopping. I've got all these nice shoes laid out for me to try, and I see a pair that makes me go "OH!". Then realize those are mine, in the mirror. :lol:

Not bad. You can probably get closer to $1600, without a chip, but may need to look around a bit. If the chip doesn't bug you, and you already know how this one feels, what are you waiting for? Maybe tell 'em what I just said, and you'd like a discount for the chip... Good luck.

7. tamader74

tamader74 TDPRI Member

...or in your level of Arthritis (LOL), I used to be of this opinion, but as time has went by, certain old football injuries have made things a bit tough on my hands...which I might add living in Northern Mi. during the Winter months does NOT help at all.

When I went down with a knee injury in '74 (my Senior year), back then knee surgery was about as prehistoric as Dinosaur turds at that time (and my Scholarship went with it I might add), at that time my ring finger size was 14 in the left hand, 15 on my right (OG/MLB), which didn't really present a problem playing guitar,...

...my left finger NOW is a 11, and my right is a 12,...but my wrist IS the biggest problem I have with small/modern 'C' fretboards,...I ache to no end,...but I still play with light touch, so fret size has never been a issue.

I could never understand why my lead player I had in this one Country band simply could NOT deal with vintage fret size's,...until I watched his 'Grip' he had on his guitar, I mean my Man was all but strangling the dickens out of his guitars neck, and he was NOT giving me any BS when he told me he had to take his guitar in for fret work at least every year and a half.

I play Percussion also, and I've NEVER cracked a Cymbal, ever...but have watched several good Drummers do that constantly, and crap 'Time Keeper/wannabe, overly loud' ones do it all the time. I guess what I'm getting to is everybody has a different 'Attack', and what might be good enough for the majority, just won't get it for the few. Tom

8. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Those of you that have multiple pure vintage 64's, are they pretty much identical as far as feel, playability, tone, etc.? I love the 64 model so much I'm thinking of getting them in each color over the years.

9. xtrajerry

That's a little high.. should be able to get a new one in mint condition for that.. the LPB is getting hard to find though so if that guitar is speaking to you it's not a horrible deal.. I bought my blond pre dinged under 7 LBS from one of the big guys for $100 less. I settled on the damaged one because they all seem to get chipped anyway so I didn't see the point of paying up for one that was 100% and I also wanted the lighter weight.

10. xtrajerry

I only have one, a blond but it does feel a little different from the LPB one in the shop. Had planned on picking up the LPB model this weekend but found a stupid deal on a new Oly White 60's Hot Rod.. Don't know how I'm going to feel about the compound radius neck but if I don't like it I should be able to move it without a loss. Have a Fano with 10"-16" neck and it's not really my thing but I don't hate it either..

11. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

All these '64 threads have got me wanting to sell or trade my '58 for a '64. I have it on CL here but no bites. I'd list it here but don't want to deal with shipping and risking getting screwed.

12. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Hold on to your 58. That's a beautiful guitar and probably the twangiest of the 3 models. Maybe get a 64 in the future so you can have both the 58 and 64. I have the 52,58, & 64, but I like that 64 so much I'm thinking one in each color some day.

13. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Yeah, its a 1st46 to boot so I probably should keep it.

14. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

'64 has a brighter twangier bridge pickup than the '58.

15. moosie

So I'm not crazy. Or more likely we're both crazy.

Keep it. They're both great. I could easily see this being a thread called '58 pure vintage is an awesome telecaster'.

After reading and writing on this thread, I played the 64 a couple of nights ago. Ahh, heaven. Then the next night I planned to play it again, but stopped, thought a minute, and picked up the '58. Oh my, it's a wonderful guitar, too.

I knew that, but even when they're sitting in the next room, one becomes a favorite for a while, and the light shines a teeny bit less brightly on all the others. That's why I make it a point to rotate, because I really DO love them all. That includes the '52. I still want to try a PV52...

16. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

I've been playing my 64 so much I had to go and play the 58 to see if you were right Fred, and you're right, the 64 is twangiest.

17. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

And guess which one gets played the most? That's right, the 64. I'm strictly a tele player these days. The les pauls and Strats are gone so I could buy the 52, 58, &64 Pure Vintage Tele's. I wonder if Fender will be adding some other years for their pure vintage line up in 2015?

Attached Files:

18. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I hope they reintroduce the 62 custom RI. I'm a sucker for double bound teles, but they are not to be found on the used marked in my part of the world

19. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Yes, that would be awesome. I never owned a double bound tele and I sure would like one of those. I think from here on out after owning 3 pure vintage teles, I really have no need for fender ' s other models and custom shop is too expensive for my taste. Think I'm only going to invest in PV'S from now on.

20. moosie

Hopefully without devolving this into that, I think that's a fine choice.

I have both, and love both. Not "for the money" either. At any price.

I've yet to play a PV Strat, which is probably a good thing. I hear they're every bit as stellar as the Teles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.