64 Pure Vintage is an awesome telecaster.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KeithRichard, Sep 28, 2014.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My 64 neck, and my CS 63 Strat, are both closest to modern C, compared to a U or 57 V. But they're actually way fatter. Very sneaky. Very, very comfortable. Because I'm familiar with modern C, I tend to compare these to that. But if I think about the timeline, how modern C didn't exist yet, then it's easy to see the transition from the fatter necks. It's an oval C, wider, fatter than a modern C. It melts into my hand, and disappears.

As for getting used to different profiles, I play a Martin OM-28V, which is bigger than the U necks. And switch to a thin necked 335 without a thought. You get used to it.

That said, these late 50s, early 60s Fender necks are the ones that fit me like a glove.

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Speaking of reissues, what color liner did you guys get? My G&G came with the red plush, did any of you guys get orange?

3. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

I have the orange plush

4. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Are you talking about the case lining? If so, mine looks gold. Is that the orange you mean?

5. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Yes, the case lining.

6. TeleTex82

Yep, there are 3 colors as fars I know, Orange, Red, and Gold/Yellow.

7. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Ah ok, nice to know. The pics of mine are here. Would you say it's also the gold? Not a great pic as the light was poor, but you get the idea.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

A person can tolerate various neck profiles but if a profile is uncomfortable to a player it is a nuisance. I despise big shoulders and large necks. Having the opportunity to try out many variations helps a player determine preference. I know what I prefer! Artists do too. The ask Fender to replicate their favorite necks.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. DboyBlues

DboyBlues NEW MEMBER!

Thanks Davo17! I joined when I recieved my Baja. Bought the baja to cure the itch while I waited for an online store to receive the next batch of Av64's.

KeithRichard haha sounds good I'm really looking forward to it!

10. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

I'd be VERY interested in your thoughts on the tone between your baja (50's version, right?) and the 64.

11. moosie

Excellent excuse (er, reason) to buy another Tele! Another one I like a lot is "it's Tuesday" LOL.

12. moosie

Davo, sorry, I didn't realize you were addressing me, 'cause I don't have the PV52 being talked about here. My Wildwood 10 '52 NOS sounds completely different than the '64. Here's Greg Koch playing mine:

His comment at the beginning about "tight" bass is spot on. I wish it had more bass. I have to adjust amp/pedal EQ for this guitar. It came with Broadcaster/Twisted pickups (so that's what you hear in the vid), which I liked, but I wanted to try the Stuart Blackguards, and the Stuarts are in there now. Both sets are good, and early 50s sounding. The Stuarts may be smoother, while the B/T have more character.

I swapped the brass saddles for Marc Rutters' steel alloy compensated Broadcaster set. Brightened things up, and they're very lively sounding compared to stock brass. I'd do that again every time.

So, even with tight bass, the '52 is thick and snarly, a tad on the dark side (if a Tele can ever be said to be dark).

The '64 is uber-bright, but not harsh. Deep, clear, bell-like. It's THE sound in my head when I think 'Telecaster'.

You really need both (at least). :)

13. telecastertommy

telecastertommy TDPRI Member

I like all the reissue telecasters.
    I like the 58 best then the 52. The 64 looks great and comes in the coolest colors.
    But i can't get too excited about the sound.
    The 58 sounds fantastic. But truth be told since i put a set of black guards in my 2011 pre belly cut american standard, its sounds and plays as good as any...
    I prefer the vintage hardware but the modern is very easy to work with.
    If they come out with a vintage tele with a bigsby i would soon get one especially if its surf green or shell pink...

14. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

I'm really digging the tone of the 58. I think it's the twangiest of the 3. The D neck is comfortable too.

15. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I'm on the verge of buying one.. I have my doubts about the neck but don't really know why.. I pretty much adapt to whatever I'm holding in my hands..

16. moosie

Nice! Are the two 64s different colors? One more opaque than the other, or creamier? Or just the light?

What's the yellow whiteguard? PV52 with changed guard?

17. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Great comparison, thanks.

18. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

How are y'all feeling about the pups on these?

19. moosie

I haven't tried the '52s, but I'm thinking of stockpiling the 58s and 64s. Esp the 64s. Just in case :lol:

EDIT: wanted to add that I'm usually very ready to swap pickups, try some 'boutique' winders, etc. I have zero interest in taking the 58s and 64s out of these guitars. Fender got it right.

20. TeleTex82

They are all great but a little bit different. The ones on the 52's I have played are a little darker, creamier and woodier, the 58's I played are twangier and brighter, with a touch more treble. Both super clear and articulate, both tele tone through and through. Cant go wrong with either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.