64 Pure Vintage is an awesome telecaster.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KeithRichard, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Those are stunning, I want all 3. How would you compare the tone of the 52 to the 64?

2. DboyBlues

DboyBlues NEW MEMBER!

I have one on the way... This thread is making me wish it was Friday already! So stoked!

3. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

You are a lucky boy. Welcome to the forum, btw!

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks even better in person. The Candy Apple just POPs. Hard to capture the depth. It's cool, you can tell the finish is thinner than a piece of paper, but it looks really deep.

I like the '64 so much, I'm tempted to get the other colors.

5. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Wait until you get your hands on this magnificent guitar..you won't want to put it down. I think everyone should have the opportunity to own and play a 64.

6. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

The finish on my 52 seems tone a little thicker than some I've seen but it sounds amazing.

7. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

The 52 was my favorite tele until I got my hands on a 64. These avri ' s are hands down fender ' s best line outside of custom shop teles.

8. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

I ruled them out mostly because of the vintage neck features (usually prefer larger frets and flatter boards). It wasn't until March this year when I tried one at a fender display at a guitar show that I realised what awesome guitars they were. I basically decided I would own one at that point. It just took me 6 more months to find the money!

9. TeleTex82

Agreed. I might add a four way switch in the future because I know that fourth position is going to sound amazing. I want to get my hands on 64 and try it out but there are none to be found locally.

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

There is such a thing as research development. I'm sure Fender would have listened to musicians feedback, I know they did as Don Randall took early Broadcasters/Telecasters around for musicians to play, some even failed to play after awhile. Leo Fender was very much into improvement, hence the Stratocaster.
    My point is that some players like certain necks, fatter, as to those who like thinner necks. Fender should offer a choice, the modern C suits me, others like a fat 1" U shape, whatever you want. JMHO I am yet to be convinced that a fatter neck = better sound. Most people I build for want a "modern" C neck. Reflecting my point about research development. My second point is that Fender could offer more options- obviously the Modern C sells more worldwide, otherwise their engineers would alter things. JMHO. Just for the record I think 60's necks are the best-very close the Fender modern C.

11. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I've probably got bigger hands than most on this forum and I have no trouble switching from the '64 to the new '52 which is even bigger than the old '52.

Neck profile issues are all in your head.

12. TeleTex82

I think this is true to a point, depending on the style you play and the size of the neck. If you play a lot of blues/rock, for example, with a lot of bends I think a deeper neck profile helps give you more leverage and results in less strain/fatigue. At least it does for me, compared to shallower necks. I also find chording really effortless and a joy on the 52. Switching between the PV's/AVRI's is probably not too big of a jump, but jumping from the RI's to say an American Deluxe is probably a harder switch to make.

13. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

I agree with neck size being more in the mind for most people, not all. Some people have ailments that prevent them from using other size necks but alot of people sell themselves short by not having the desire to conform to other sizes. I taught myself to adapt to the guitar's neck size which has payed off great dividends because any guitar I want, I'll get, and I don't have to worry about it fitting me because I'll make it fit. I don't play a c neck the same way I would a u neck or I'll be sloppy. Learning to adapt and push yourself out of your comfort zone is the only way otherwise you'll be stuck with playing only one size neck.

14. TeleTex82

Agree, I dont let neck sizes scare me away from giving a good guitar a chance but I also think people have preferences for a reason. Do you find you have a preference in what neck sizes you tend to look at, or no?

15. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

AFAIK They are actual replacement pups for them.. I have 2 sets that need to be swapped in.. 1 going in my Classic 60's, haven't decided which guitar gets the other set.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Numbers are deceiving.. The 64 feels bigger than the numbers at the 1 fret imply. It's tapered quite a bit, at the 12 fret it's as full if not larger than anything else I own..

17. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

I have no preference whatsoever. As long as the guitar looks good and sounds good, I will play it. I have yet to play a guitar where I thought I cant play this or won't play this because it doesn't feel good in my hands. It's all about playing it until it begins to fit perfectly. I don't play a fat neck in the same manner as I would a pencil neck or I'd miss alot of notes. It's all in the mindset.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  18. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

64 Pure Vintage? Hate it. Mine's just too awesome for me.

19. TeleTex82

Feel free to send it over :D

20. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

@jonny munksville The '58 "D" is perfecto if you dig on maple! It's got just enough beef to it--lets you play with your thumb over the top in a rock style, and still something to hold on to if you drop your thumb down the back of the neck to a slightly more classical position...Mucho Comfortable!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.