64 Pure Vintage is an awesome telecaster.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KeithRichard, Sep 28, 2014.

1. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

It seems like the neck sizes are various? The one I played was surprisingly fat. I had only played 66, teles and never a 64. I was surprised how beefy it was.

Were the original RI from 2012 fatter or are they all the same? I am reading conflicting things.

2. DirtyDanTele

DirtyDanTele Tele-Meister

I've played the 64 quite a bit, very nice tele. I really liked the pups so I bought some to put in my 60's Classic. Mine were wound different than what the specs show but they sound great.

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I've wanted a 64 ever since I started listening to Michael Bloomfield. Neck profile seems a bit thinner than I would like. Anyone with a 52 care to compare?

4. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

3 sets of twins wow, I love it. I agree with you Fred about the 52 ' s being a great guitar but something happens to me the moment I pick the 64 up and plug her in, I don't want to stop playing. The feel, the tone, the looks, all just consume me. There are times when I'll just grab a cup of coffee and just look in awe at the 64 in its stand. No telecaster has ever mesmerized me like the 64 does. I'm even thinking of getting the 64 in all its other finishes. I just hope that it just remains a thought though.

5. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

how are the pure vintage 64 pickups they sell separately compare to the ones that came in this run of tele's?
    chris.

6. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

According to the Fender website the '52 is a "U" neck, the '58 a "D" neck and the '64 a "C" neck. What is not mentioned is the overall thickness at 1st and 12th frets.

All other things being equal, the difference is the taper from the skunk strip to the edges. The more wood or "shoulder" the fatter the neck.

To confuse matters other venders like Warmoth use terms like "Fatback", "Boatneck", etc.

Attached Files:

7. TeleTex82

Confusing is right. I played a Nash T63 that had a perfect neck but from what I've heard those are fatter than 64's. I like the Baja/52 necks, never knowingly played anything with a 56, although that looks like the profile of the Nash I played come to think about it.

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

iv tried a hard V before and it was horrible. wonder what the thinking behind that neck shape was.

i can see how the U could be uncomfortable. id like to try the medium V, and i bet the SRV neck is nice and chunky. so hard to make a judgment call on pictures so many details in a neck shape that can make it or break it, it would seem.

i do see how the shoulder after the rose wood would effect how comfortable the neck is.
    chris.

9. jonny munksville

jonny munksville Tele-Meister

My AV'64 has what I would consider to be a 'chunky' neck. It starts out fairly slim around the nut, and gets fatter towards the 12th fret. It's super comfy, and would be my choice of neck shape over any other I've tried. I'd love to try a D shape '58 though.

I'm still getting my head round the 64 - it is so twangy and vintage sounding, which is not what I'm used to. I played it at band practise the other night and found myself reaching for my USA strat, preferring its solid tone in the room. When I got home however, I listened to a recording of the session, and the 64 just sounds magic - so nuanced!

Those who have more than one - how do they differ?

10. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

all the PVs are pretty sweet

11. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Do you mean more than one of the same model?

12. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Very nice. How would you describe the tonal difference between the 58 and the 64?

13. TeleTex82

I havent played a '64 but played both a '52 and a '58. To me the 58 was more twangy and snappy than the 52. The first thing that popped in my head was the Grand Ol Opry when I played it. Pups had a bit more bite and treble to them than the 52. I suspect the 64 would be a little bit warmer with more of a modern sound, voiced towards rock and blues based only on when the originals were manufactured and what I have heard from real '64s.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  14. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Good to hear, would you say the 64 sounds closer to the 52 or the 58?

15. TeleTex82

To me it sound almost like a hybrid of the two, but you can decide for yourself:

16. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

they all sound so good. i think i would get along just fine with a set of 64 tele pickups. they go for about a 100.00 Im not sure if they are the same as these. or if they have custom shop. id be happy with the ones for a 100.00 if they sound close. dig the 64, thats the axe id go for.

chris.

17. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Thats a good demo Ive heard but sometimes its better for me to get others opinions.

Im actually more curious because the new 60's baja comes with the 58's pups and I cant help but wonder if the 64's (which gets glowing reviews everywhere) would have been a better option.

That said, I am fairly familiar with 50's fenders, but less so the 60's models/sounds. I always considered 60's teles to be brighter and glassier and 50's to be a bit meatier and more raw.

18. TeleTex82

They are great guitars. Just no frills, no nonsense, honestly good guitars. I will say the only thing about the 58 is I found the neck profile not too skinny, but too flat compared to the 52. It made it a little harder (for me) to dig into bends. I wouldn't mind getting one of ech, or like FredDairy, a couple of all of them. :p

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wanted all three. Got the '58 first. Still wanted the others, but thought I'd probably like the '64 the least. Never did get the '52. This is a Wildwood CS '52 that will just have to do for now. I love them all, but the '64 is the one I'd choose over all the others. Surprised me how stupid awesome it is. Just perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I know I just posted these, but not as a single PV-ish family photo.

20. TeleTex82

That looks absolutely killer in red!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.