64 Pure Vintage is an awesome telecaster.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KeithRichard, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

FRODRICK!!!!!

Just looked at my 2012 Classic 60s, no humping going on there, its smooth as butter..

2. Spizzenergi

Spizzenergi TDPRI Member

It is

3. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Sounds like you might have found a dog, maybe that's why you got such a great deal? I think you should return it for another one personally. I've played a dozen or more of these guitars, in various shops, and I'm yet to come across a poor example. That's not to say there aren't any out there, clearly you seem to have found one. Get it replaced.

4. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

Definitely got a lemon there. Take it back and get another. They are fantastic guitars from finish to tone. The 64 has one of the twangiest bridge pickups out there.

5. mars67

mars67 TDPRI Member

I thought it over last night and I am going to send it back and swap it out for another. I think I just got a bad one. I have played some other American Vintage examples (a couple different '52's) and I know how good this series can be. That is the reason I was so shocked and disappointed. I will say, the neck on the '64 is REALLY nice. I was led to believe it might be a little on the thin side but it's not (for me). The '52's I tried seemed huge!

I think the pickup issue was the fact I had the amp at really low volume (wife was working from home yesterday). I opened the amp up this morning and sure enough, pure Tele twang! Yep, gonna take another shot at it. Calling the retailer now.

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I find that often many of the setup issues you mention fix themselves in a couple days as the guitar settles in after being shipped and exposed to weather extremes. That doesn't explain the finish problem or the bridge pickup. Are you sure this wasn't a returned item. There have been a few separate post regarding a specific vendor who previously had a stellar reputation but has recently shipped several guitars that have obviously not gone through the advertised 55 point inspection.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, return it and get another, because the 5" finish flaw is from the factory, and impossible to fix.

I mean no disrespect with the rest of this post...

Most if not all of the other issues are setup related. Every new guitar needs a setup once it reaches it's final destination. It doesn't matter how much the guitar cost. Maybe a Master Built is the exception. A totally unplayable setup may be the factory's QC fault, but it's definitely the dealer's fault for not finding it. That's supposed to be the difference between shopping purely on price, and paying MAP from a dealer that puts the guitar on the bench before shipping. I notice you chose price. I usually do, too. You didn't pay the dealer to notice.

It's a judgment call to decide on the likelihood of the setup resolving issues, because you don't want to waste resources, and make changes to a guitar that's going back.

I know I've been unrealistic at times regarding overall fit and finish. Once I notice one legitimate issue, objectivity is lost.

Even though it "shouldn't be that way", I'd hesitate to go through the hassle of returning (packing, shipping, risking damage, waiting for a refund) for something unrelated to actual build quality.

I think every new Fender I've purchased has had a loose switch tip. I solve it by coating the shaft with superglue -- and letting it thoroughly dry!. Now the shaft is a bit thicker, and not as slick. If too fat now, hit it with sandpaper.

I encourage you to get a new '64. They're really special. One thing to be aware of, though. If you're used to the bulletproof urethane finishes of Standards and MIMs, you may be shocked to find all the PV models have super thin, fragile lacquer finishes.

I take very good care of my guitars. They never leave my house, live in their cases, I'm careful when changing strings, etc. Regardless, my PVs have a few slight dings. Once I very lightly slipped and bounced a phillips screwdriver tip off the finish. Urethane would shrug that off with a laugh. My other lacquer guitars would do the same. My '64 developed a tiny, pinpoint bruise under the finish.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Fender didn't make the finish thin to save money. It's supposed to be era-correct, and it seems to allow the wood to breathe and vibrate. And I'm sure over time these finishes will check beautifully.

8. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Well said! Try at least one more '64 before giving them up.

9. mars67

mars67 TDPRI Member

I spoke to the retailer earlier today and returning it for another is not going to be a problem. BUT, I will have to wait until sometime in November because they are backordered. Again. I know a few folks suggested this might have been a returned item but it was not. This was brand spanking new from Fender, factory sealed and stapled. It had been on backorder for nearly a month. The retailer I am dealing with has always done right by me and I have no complaints.

I realize that all guitars need a setup after they arrive at the house. I am always prepared to tweak it some, change strings, adjust pickups etc... This '64 was just a mess. It seems like they just slapped the bridge on, threw on some strings, loosened the truss all the way and sent it out. No setup at all. Saddles were not even roughly adjusted to the neck radius. Intonation completely off on every string. I measured the action at the 12th fret and it was 9/64! Of course, all of that is easily remedied. The REAL problem is the rather large finish flaw on the back. I realize these finishes are very thin and will get nicked, chipped, dented and worn. It's cool, I want that to happen over time. I just want to be the one who does it. Something happened while it was still tacky to cause a big defect like this.

The pickup issue turned out to be me being in a bad mood about all the other issues and looking for one more thing. And the fact I was playing at lower volumes yesterday. Today that bridge pickup sounded great at normal playing volume. Classic Tele sound all the way.

No big deal. I am just going to return it and get another '64.

10. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

The 64 is the best telecaster I have ever played. Not only does this thing look and feel good, it has tone that just lets you know that this is the real deal. This is what a telecaster should sound like. The bridge twang is superb. I play this guitar every day. My 52 & 58 are excellent teles but this 64 kicks their A$$ everytime. This is my number 1 guitar and I doubt I will ever find another tele to take its place. If you're thinking of buying an AVRI, buy the 64 before any of the others. You will not be disappointed.

11. G333

G333 TDPRI Member

Just want to thank all of you for the gas you created to the point where I finally pulled the trigger.

Just got the tracking number on this one today. Will give it a NGD report after we spend some time together.

[​IMG]

12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Nice!!! Congrats and HNGD to you! :)

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

cool! Please give a qualitative review of the hump or lack of one.

14. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Sweeeeet! That fiesta red is just killer!
    Now I want one too :)

Tried a '64ri in LPB this summer, what a great guitar!

15. riscado

riscado TDPRI Member

That fiesta red looks great.

I created a new topic because I didn't notice this one, sorry about that.

Has anyone here tried both the ash (blonde) and alder versions, any particular characteristic you'd highlight that is different in response or tone between both models?

16. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing what you think and of course seeing more pics!

17. G333

G333 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone - looks like it doesn't arrive until Tuesday:( I'll be lookin' for the hump!

18. Jasha5490

Jasha5490 TDPRI Member

Hi.
    Like Riscado I am curious about the tone difference between the ash and alder versions.

Anybody had the opportunity to compare them ?

Also, is the ash version usually lighter ? I tried a white one and I was very surprised by how light it was.

19. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

Love that pic of the fiesta red, I had the option of buying one but went for the more common candy apple, on reflection it might have just been the lighting in the shop which made it too shell pink looking for me.

I'm totally in lust with my avri64 nonetheless, this in the week when I've just popped some sd joe bonamassa pups in my LP custom...I just keep playing the tele.

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry, don't have both. I do have an alder 64, and the ash 58. Other differences: pickups, neck profile, rw vs maple, threaded vs smooth saddles. These two guitars sound pretty darn similar.

The CAR 64 weighs 7.07 lbs, and the white blonde 58 weighs 6.78 lbs.

I'll be swapping the bridge on the 58 for a Rutters vintage style stamped steel dual load (string thru & top loader), with a bit of the treble side lip removed so I can pick closer to the bridge. I'm getting Marc's great compensated broadcaster saddles, too, but at first I'm just swapping the bridge to see what top loading does for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.