'64 Deluxe Reverb Speaker Upgrade With The Celestion Ruby

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Buckaroo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Buckaroo

Buckaroo TDPRI Member

Last year I purchased the (hand wired) Fender '64 Deluxe Reverb Amp and have been increasingly dissatisfied with the stock ceramic magnet Jensen C12Q reissue . It is not a horrible speaker, but our planet offers better choices IMO. I play a lot of original tweed Fenders (mostly late 1950's Bandmasters) and really like the original Jensen alnico magnet speakers that came in those amps.

Here is the amp:

https://www.fender.com/pages/guitar-amplifiers-vintage-pro-tube-64-custom-deluxe-reverb/

Celestion just released a new alnico speaker last month, the Celestion Ruby. Celestion confirmed, by email, that the Ruby is made in the UK factory. Here it is:

https://celestion.com/product/216/Celestion_Ruby/

The Celestion Ruby is rated at 35 Watts and has a sensitivity of 100 dB (a relatively loud speaker). It came today and I must say that I really like it a lot. The highs are thicker, more prominent mids and the bass slightly attenuated compared to the reissue ceramic Jensen that is stock in the amp. To my ears the Celestion speaker sounds very much like a late 1950's Jensen alnico speaker. The Ruby has strong mids, but not quite as forward as the Celestion Alnico Blue. To my ear that makes them a bit more like the 1950's Jensen and not quite so British. The break up, when pushed by the DR, is as good as it gets IMO. Playing a Tele yields a tone very much like Jimmie Vaughan on the first Thunderbirds album "Girls Go Wild".

The Celestion Ruby is staying in this amp. I have not heard a speaker (old or new) in a Deluxe Reverb that I like better than this one.

Hope you benefit from this review of the speaker.

Buck

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Congrats, I currently have an Alessandro GASC64 in my 1965 Deluxe Reverb and I’m pretty happy with it.

Love to hear more details on your speaker, guess that it is more American voiced?

bftfender likes this.
  3. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Still running the stock speaker in my DRRI and pretty happy with it. Trying to look away from this thread!

LuthRavin likes this.
  4. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

You aren't doing a very good job at that..... :p

GuitLoop likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats.
    I have been reviewing the Ruby too. I have Cream and a gold and sold a Blue.
    Sounds like the Ruby is somewhere between the cream and gold
    slanting toward a blue?

6. Buckaroo

Buckaroo TDPRI Member

To my ears, the Ruby sounds just "slighty" less mid range that the gold. As a side note, visually the frame and the cone of the Ruby appear to be identical to the Heritage G12M. I would go so far as to say that the Ruby is a Heritage G12M with an alnico magnet rather than the ceramic magnet. The G12M has "slightly" less mids and "very slightly" more detailed highs than the ruby. The G12M is also slightly less loud than the Ruby. These two speakers have alot in common. To me they sound a bit different than the gold and the blue alnico models.

I would also add the Ruby has more low end response than the G12M, thus the bass response of the Ruby is more in line with an original Jensen ceramic's bass response, like would have come in a pre CBS deluxe reverb.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tks. Update.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Congrats.

I've used The Blue for decades in my VOX amps. I also had a 10" Gold alinco. Great speakers and Celestion alnicos are an essential part of the classic and original VOX sound.

The Ruby alnico would be ideal in the single speaker VOX AC30S1.

Ruby Spread.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.