64 AVRI Tele: is this my guitar?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vedt, Sep 5, 2016.

1. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

So I've been in the market for a good Tele ($2K or less) for a few months now. I've played almost every one I could get my hands on. And considering all the factors - feel, sound, looks - the 64 AVRI Tele seems to be the best fit.

Can I not go wrong with this guitar? Are some hit or miss? I might be buying online...

I will admit that I'm partial to Fender. I like the classic brand. So I haven't really looked at Nash, Danocasters, Suhr, etc.

2. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

Funny thing, I came to ask a similar question.
    I have '52 avri the newer pure vintage one and I absolutely love it. I went with the 52 first because it's a 52 you know I had to have a blackguard tele, I had wanted one for a while. Based on my 52 I couldn't imagine the 64 being "bad"
    I have had it about a year and am looking to maybe to snag the '64 as well.
    It is odd there doesn't seem to be a lot of videos about them, John 6 (who I love that guy can really, really play some country licks) said the 64 had the best neck of the three 52, 58 and 64 but there just isn't a ton about them out there that I can find at least.

3. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Hi !

All the AVRI I got under my fingers up to this point are really great guitars, IMHO you can't go wrong

Cheers

4. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I have the 64 and I love it. It's my first tele so I have nothing to compare it to, but I felt it was superior to the others I played. Especially love the pickups and the bridge. It feels great and it sound bright and alive. Much more so than the modern setups. I attribute most of that to the pickups but I don't know much. If you have the money I don't think you would regret it.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

My 64 is the best Tele I have ever played. Unlike others I didn't hit it off with the 52, but the 64 just fits like a beautiful well worn glove.

6. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey TDPRI Member

You can't go wrong with the 64. It's a great guitar... Wait, let me rephrase that: it's an excellent guitar. And if that is the guitar that speaks to you - get it. Bought mine online from a reputable seller, and it came in mint condition.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The AV 64 is widely lauded and praised on TDPRI. I have owned two and both were outstanding.
    It is my personal opinion that this is one of the finest production Fenders ever made. That's right. It's top notch in every way.
    I sold both but not because they weren't great. I also have two custom shop Tele's and needed to trim my collection. Honestly it was a tough call between choosing between my 63 NOS CS and the AV 64.
    Put another way, if I had to make a decision today and pay $1750 for the AV 64 or the $3200 I paid for my CS 63, I would pocket the extra money and buy the AV 64. The CS is a better instrument but it's the law of diminishing returns.
    Many may warn about the AV series fragile finish. I didn't have an issue with the finish.
    It's a great guitar and a great series. Fender got it right.

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

I love my CR Avri 64, plugged direct into my Princeton 68 it's all I'll ever need.... Having said that I've got 5 other electrics :)

9. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I'm lucky, I have both the '52 and '64. Both are, as others have said, excellent instruments but they are different in sound and feel. I prefer the '64 as I am a big fan of Steve Cropper and the '64 goes some way to copying his sound and is a bit "harder" sounding than the '52.
    I think they are absolutely beautiful and would be very, very surprised if you regretted buying one. Just have it set up well when it arrives.

SpaceMonkey likes this.
  10. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

The '64 AV Tele is one of the best guitars Fender makes right now, IMO. If you like the AV series but, as someone else said above, you "didn't bond" with the '52 blackguard model, this might be the guitar for you.

The best things about them: the neck, the pickups, the whole being greater than a sum of its parts.

The details will please anybody looking for a vintage-style very playable Tele. The neck is one of those early 60s C-shape necks that Fender used to do. They are chunkier than a "modern C" neck and there is more taper at the top of the neck (1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions). The neck is just so classic and familiar, like a broken-in baseball glove. And if you like Mike Bloomfield (the man who brought rock leads to folk and blues music), you'll love this guitar because it's essentially the guitar he played, and the reason he liked them becomes obvious.

The "grey bobbin" pickups are not pups you will feel the need or desire to replace (at least not if you're sane). Really amazing sounds and a lively Tele tone if you play rock, blues, or country. This guitar is so great for any style of music, though.

Aesthetically, the white blonde model (the only finish that comes on an ash body) is such a good-looking Telecaster. The rosewood slab fretboard looks so righteous on a white-blonde, white-pickguard '60s Tele.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  11. TeleCustom

TeleCustom TDPRI Member

I have two 62 AVRI and I love them both. I'm not big on rosewood fretboards, but I gladly accept these. I haven't seen a 64 at the guitar show in Nashville since they came out. Every one that buys one must consider them lifelong keepers as I do all my reissues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.