'63 VVRI Ground Switch Removal help:

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by brokenbones, Nov 4, 2016.

1. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

I'm wanting to remove the "non-functional" ground switch to install a bias pot. The switch has 3 speaker wire connectors running to the PCB board. On the PCB there are traces leading to other components. Is it okay to just remove the wires and leave the leads that are soldered into the PCB? Would that cause ground hum?
    63VVGS2.jpg 63VV3.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

3. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

4. Wally

Correct. The schematic shows a functional switch. That shows what connections must be maintained in order to bypass that switch. Transferring that information to the PCB tells one what should be done.
    As I often am, I am back to the old 'here's a fish' versus 'here's how to fish' thing.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  5. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

Deleted

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  6. Wally

MY apologies....that revised schematic does NOT show the original drawing. I have always found these things to be 'understandable' when they are sitting in front of me. I think anyone who is going off into such a situation should be able to examine, consider and decide what needs to be done there. Like I said.....get a fish for free without any work/learning or learn to fish...Confucious said it a long time ago.

Here is the original and unbutchered schematic....fwiw....

7. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

Does the ground switch have a center position ? (from the silverface years onwards mostly a ground with center position was used)

If so, why bother about it ? Put it in center position (takes it out of the circuit) and forget!

8. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That switch does not look non-functional to me. I'd leave it be.

9. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

I decided to put the entire project on hold for now. PCB work is not something i'm comfortable with just yet. Until I find something definitive on the switch i'm not going to touch it.

10. Wally

Fender did not use that switch on the Custom Vibrolux Reverb, which uses the same PCB and chassis as does that '63 VVRI. It is a polarity switch. It can be removed. One need only understand how to 'bypass' it. That entails seeing the incoming ACleads contact points and the contact points for the two PT primary wires. If one is not confident in figuring that out, it is best left alone.
    The CVR has that chassis hole underneath the back panel, and it makes for a convenient spot in which to place an adjustment pot for the bias circuit.
    I also apologize for not giving the link to that unaltered schematic that is available online. I'll post that in a while.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.