63 vs 69 telecaster which do you think sounds best ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Jamesoliver1992, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Jamesoliver1992

Jamesoliver1992 TDPRI Member

Telecaster shoot out video

hemmings, milocj, Greggorios and 6 others like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! Hot picking, there, James! I like the 69 better for the bridge tone. I don't really like either neck tone. The '63 is too dark and fuzzy and lacking clarity and the '69 is too bright and almost stratty. I like something rather in between, very warm but with a nice clarity to it...something like a Cavalier Fat Lion King or a Bootstrap Palo Duro.

Excellent comparison demo and great playing. I subbed your channel and will be checking out your band too. Wish I was playing as well as you at 28. I'm in my forties and still trying to get there.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

'69 has 1M pots?

fernieite likes this.
  4. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

Both sounded stellar to me. I thought the '69 was just a little better than the '63 on both settings, but they both sounded great.

CCK1 likes this.
  5. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

I liked the 63 best. The 1 meg pots (?) In the 69 make it a bit too treblely, imo.

Btw, you might he able to get the 2 pickup sound on the 63 by toggling the switch in an in between setting.

6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Very nice demo (and playing)! In general I liked the distortion sounds of the '63 better and clean vice versa. It sounds a bit like the '63 had older strings. Also do you know what neck pickup cover the '69 has? The original plated brass?

7. landofahhs

landofahhs TDPRI Member

Before I say anything, let me just say I share no love of any sound comparisons done on youtube or anywhere a human ear is the end judge of the sound being played through multiple amplifiers and reproduced by yet other speaker systems. I thought this argument was settled back in the 70's with amplifier and receiver specifications being done by qualified laboratories. He, he. Having said that...

I grew up on the LA and Orange county line and began playing in bands before I was 12. Fender guitars were part of my culture and Fender employees were everywhere in my area of Southern California. Back then, among the musicians I played with, it was considered common knowledge that Fender guitars produced during their corporate change period had a mix of pre-CBS and post CBS components. This supposedly lasted well into the early 1970's depending upon the model of guitar being made. I had my '69 worked on once by a retired Fender employee who told me it had pre-CBS components. I cannot confirm or deny any of this component overlap, but it makes sense that Fender would use their inventory up if and whenever possible rather than dumping good parts...and...since Fender employees were known to grab parts without regard for date of production with complete abandon out of parts bins I don't see any reason to doubt it.

About the sound...For any real distinction or test to be made here I would personally require at least two guitars from each year 1963 and 1969. Those guitars should be tested and evaluated first and their sound be compared so a baseline of the variation in the sound for that year's production is determined. I would want to know how well two guitars from the same year matched before doing any broader comparison...otherwise you really don't know if you are testing for a true difference between two distinct years or just hearing the normal variation of the components from different component lots used during that year's electronics production. From just the variation and tolerances of the components used by Fender I would wager that there were many differences in sound in the same model guitars produced in the same year. I cannot imagine Fender was too concerned about the consistency in guitar sound reproduction beyond their basic quality control back in that period, which could not have been too stringent for the market they targeted. Also guitars produced in the same year don't all use the same components from identical manufacturer lots...they can vary considerably between shipments. Just read what people have said in this forum about very minor differences or model changes. Everything from the thickness of pickup wires, magnets or even insulation materials are discussed. You'll quickly understand not only do people's ears vary but their determination of what affects sound is not something easily sorted out. Sound on an acoustic instrument is mostly in it's shape and wood, but on an electric guitar it is in every component of the electronics.

Finally, a valid result should be repeatable...I bet there are other old timers like me saying, "What?" Why not simply plug the tested guitars directly into the video recorders audio line in when attempting to demonstrate each guitars native sound? Why is the amplifier even being used and why are the treble and bass turned on at all? The term KISS has significant meaning here...a test setup should be simple and clean. This doesn't qualify in either case...and as mentioned earlier we have no idea if Fender guitars EVER met a test for similarity of sound in the first place. (Why? Because they didn't have the technology to do it back then.)

Paul

8. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

@Jamesoliver1992 I love your demos but I don't subscribe to YouTube so I'll post my comments here.

I do fear that some are other thinking it but I preferred the '63 as it sounded better to me.

I heard more twang on the bridge, a fatter less brittle sound on the neck pick up and both pick ups responded better to the overdrive pedal as I would expect.

But if you called me up and said I'd won a prize draw for the '69, I'd be delighted.

Question: do both have the original saddles? Non-compensated?

As @Ronkirn says, a lot of stuff was recorded before compensated saddles became a thing and intonation was the micro-science it is now.

As usual Sir. Always great demos and easy to listen to, informative videos. :)

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

there is a fundamental problem with a Demo like this.. hew only samples ONE guitar from each year... to do anything approaching a viable demonstration, he would have to sample a few hundred of each so that if any difference was apparent.. it would be validated by being repeated in a majority of each year.

Sampling ONE guitar is about as thorough as a 7th Grade Science Project.

r

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I don't think that the OP is asking us if 63 guitars are better than 69 or visa versa, just do we prefer the sound of one of his guitars over the other and why.

As for me I prefer the 69, it's red, so must sound better thanthe blonde.

11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

1 meg pots. Possibly different gauss and slightly different winds. Even different strings or age.

12. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Welcome James from a fellow Welshman!

Nice to hear a comparison between two very different era teles. I recently passed on my '63 which was also a wonderful sounding guitar.

Please though, if you're doing YT videos invest some time in your production methods. A properly mic'd guitar amp would really help viewers evaluate the sounds. Your playing skills and your personality absolutely deserve this.

13. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Can I have one scoop of each? I like ‘em both!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.