63 Vibroverb RI - Mods?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Feb 15, 2017.

1. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Not to derail, but I did the same thing in mine. The P10Rs sounded good till you got past 3, then not so much. Tried Emi 1028Ks and liked them much more.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have used a mix of C10r and P10r for years now and been really happy.

I'm also mixing a pair of P10rs with Emi 1028ks in my Bassman. The Emis sweetened things up a bit and tightened up the bass in that amp as well.

dannyh likes this.
  3. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

I have a CVR which had been Moyer modded to go back to the VV spec. The two emi alnico blueframes in it do everything I want - sweet to stinging country licks. The emi alnico 10s 1028s, as recommende by Wally and Axis 29 are great - I took a 12" out of my Princeton and installed one in it, its there to stay.

Axis29 likes this.
  4. talpa

talpa TDPRI Member

was doing a google search of good amps for a Mullard CV4024 PI tube and came upon this thread. we bought 2 consecutive SN# VVRIs from now-defunct Musicmakers in San Antonio in early '90 as store was going oob..paid $500/per (think that was cheap; not sure tho'). both are AB0005X range. other buyer/friend dissapeared long time ago..still have mine.

few yrs. later (important part) Fender released a FSB to warm up the factory cold/sterile tubes/plates issue. this has to be done imo - completely wakes up the box. added Weber 10F150s too.

Vibroverb RI Bias Mod:

[*]Remove the knobs and nuts on the "SPEED" and "INTENSITY" controls.
    [*]Remove the small circuit board that has the "SPEED" and "INTENSITY" controls.
    [*]Locate and remove R58 (1K, 1/2W, 5%)
    [*]Replace with a 3.9K, 1/2W, 5% resistor

think some folks used a bigger resistor to increase the plate voltage - mine has the FSB rec. 3.9K; did this mod around 1998; great amp since mod/speakers..maybe the best reissue they ever did. trem/verb is killer as u guys know. play on

Luthier Vandros and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.