63 Vibroverb RI - Mods?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Feb 15, 2017.

1. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Not to derail, but I did the same thing in mine. The P10Rs sounded good till you got past 3, then not so much. Tried Emi 1028Ks and liked them much more.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have used a mix of C10r and P10r for years now and been really happy.

I'm also mixing a pair of P10rs with Emi 1028ks in my Bassman. The Emis sweetened things up a bit and tightened up the bass in that amp as well.

dannyh likes this.
  3. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

I have a CVR which had been Moyer modded to go back to the VV spec. The two emi alnico blueframes in it do everything I want - sweet to stinging country licks. The emi alnico 10s 1028s, as recommende by Wally and Axis 29 are great - I took a 12" out of my Princeton and installed one in it, its there to stay.

Axis29 likes this.
  4. talpa

talpa TDPRI Member

was doing a google search of good amps for a Mullard CV4024 PI tube and came upon this thread. we bought 2 consecutive SN# VVRIs from now-defunct Musicmakers in San Antonio in early '90 as store was going oob..paid $500/per (think that was cheap; not sure tho'). both are AB0005X range. other buyer/friend dissapeared long time ago..still have mine.

few yrs. later (important part) Fender released a FSB to warm up the factory cold/sterile tubes/plates issue. this has to be done imo - completely wakes up the box. added Weber 10F150s too.

Vibroverb RI Bias Mod:

[*]Remove the knobs and nuts on the "SPEED" and "INTENSITY" controls.
    [*]Remove the small circuit board that has the "SPEED" and "INTENSITY" controls.
    [*]Locate and remove R58 (1K, 1/2W, 5%)
    [*]Replace with a 3.9K, 1/2W, 5% resistor

think some folks used a bigger resistor to increase the plate voltage - mine has the FSB rec. 3.9K; did this mod around 1998; great amp since mod/speakers..maybe the best reissue they ever did. trem/verb is killer as u guys know. play on

Luthier Vandros and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.