63 Vibroverb RI - Mods?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Feb 15, 2017.

1. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Has anybody done any mods to this amp? More specifically to the normal channel? I dont use the normal channel at all so it would be cool to get more versatility out of it.

2. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

What do you want from it? It's hard to suggest mods not knowing what you want to achieve.

3. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Other than some tube rolling, and possibly speakers, I'd say leave it alone

elihu likes this.
  4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I think there are much better speaker choices for the VVRI other than the ri oxfords (if that's what it came with and they haven't been replaced already), but otherwise I love those amps as they are. Just MHO.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There was someone who used to post here a lot who said he found a design flaw in that amp based on either the RI schematic or the original schematic. An easy fix...a resistor or cap value or something...but he said it made quite a difference.
    I bought 1 as soon as they hit the floor...1990, I think... I was romanced by the way the notes seemed to jump out of it. But after awhile I missed my tweed Deluxe, but it just wasn't loud enough.
    Then I learned about rectifiers and realized I was missing sag (envelope).
    Actually, it sounded freakin amazing dimed

6. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

If Wally doesn't respond to this thread, send him a PM. He's the go-to guy for mods.

I agree with the folks above. Aside from speakers (I recommend Eminence 1028K alnicos - thanks, Wally) , it sounds great as is. CS

7. caspersvapors

Like perhaps getting reverb on both channels, or getting a more scooped, blackface like tone from the normal channel

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Bite your tongue, 'more blackface tone'. Blasphemy, I tell you, pure blasphemy!

LOL just kidding. I just couldn't resist.

Reverb on both channels is a relatively easy mod, I understand. I just throw a 12ay7 in to get a little lower gain. but, some folks like more gain. Not sure how you would attain that.

But, @Wally has spent a good amount of time with this circuit.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The 6G16 is very similar to the AB763/BF regarding the preamp. There is a tapped treble pot. I have ever lifted that tap to see what happens, but I am thinking that there is a small effect in the midrange.....some mids might be changed. But....the tones are very similar to the BF tones. Outside of that tap, the tone stack looks like the BF guitar amps. I usually like to make the Normal channel more 'tweedy' by modding the tone stack and gain.
    As noted the effects can be applied to the Normal channel easily. The Custom Vibrolux Reverb and the later '68 SF Vibrolux Reverb, which are based on the same PCB, have effects on both channels.

10. caspersvapors

right on, so you have successfully done the tweed mod to the vvri? Does it basically turn the normal channel into the "custom" side of a 68 Custom Vibrolux?

Thanks

11. Wally

NO, I don't do what Fender did. Imho, their mods do not take the channel where it can go; and I go about things a bit differently.

12. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Is the information on your method available so that one could give it to their tech? Or is it your own proprietary method?

13. Wally

imho, if a person is a tech, they will know how to go about changing the tone stack to affect whatever you want the amp to do. IF they do not know that, you need another tech.

14. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Fair enough.

15. Wally

IT involves taking the tone stack values back to the tweed values, increasing the mids and increasing the gain if possible.

6BQ5 likes this.
  16. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

More BF normal channel, reverb on both channels, doesn't that pretty well describe the current '68 CVR? I know it doesn't have the cool brown cosmetics...

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I replaced the stock Oxfart (ahem...) Oxford speakers after they blew, and I put a lower-gain 12AY7 preamp tube in in V1 to make the Normal Channel more friendly to harmonica microphones. Otherwise, this amp doesn't need modifications.

18. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Like Cris S. says..... If you have the original Oxford speakers,.. ditch them for a pair of Eminence 1028k, alnico's. After that, you will probably need nothing else. The Brown Vibroverb is an amazing amp. The speakers, that it came with,... NOT.

19. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

I can't remember the mods i did way back when. I did change the fixed mid cap to get more mids on both channels. I am not a fan of the standard Blackface sound so the Brown is the way to go if not Tweed. The normal channel is quite bassy. Because i use the bright channel most of the time i leave the normal alone. I now use an RCA 5751 in Normal and a 12ax7 in the bright channel.
    Speakers: an old 20w Emi blue frame (alnico) and an Emi GA10-sc64 (ceramic). I urge you to try the latter. It's simply perfect for that amp.Here's a link to my VV with both the Blue frame and the GA10.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/74jj5zix8z7kszm/AAAwrxm0WddLrN4Bxs7qS_yza?dl=0

FiddlinJim likes this.
  20. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Mine came to me used, with a mismatched pair of Oxford and Jensen ceramic 10's. I understood the P.O. just stuck them in there after he pulled his good speakers before selling it to me.
    I swapped in the Jensen P10R's from my CVR. I liked the tone a whole lot better for home use, but after having gigged the amp, I'm thinking of trying different speakers.
    Other than that, I wouldn't change anything myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.