63 Concert vs 59 Bassman

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by CWP0126, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

When I was 17, I moved from my small town of Richland, Washington to Portland for my senior year in high school. I had already had some solid gigging experience in rock and jazz, and had acquired some good gear, including a 1954 Strat and a 63 Concert Amp. Within a month of hitting town, I was in a regularly working rock band, a small ensemble jazz group, a high school jazz band, and a university jazz band. It helped that I could play chords, improvise, and sight read. A month after that, I bought a 1969 LP Goldtop, then weeks later bought a 1953 Goldtop for $100.

Because I was gigging, rehearsing, and teaching all day, I had to travel around town with my Concert Amp and one of the guitars in my 1962 Olds. I don't like driving in cities that much now, but then, I was fearless. All I needed was a map or a set of written directions. I would park as close as I could get to the place, then carry the amp and guitar from the car in one trip. Stairs? No problem. Three flights of stairs, OK, problem. But I was OK after shaking out my arms and catching my breath. I was 17 and on my f***ing way. Stand back!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

17 year old Larry, 63 concert in one hand, 53 LP gold top in the other. Someone please make a movie of this man's life!

Larry F and Sean Mac like this.
  4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Leo didn't want tweeds to break up either.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Slipped up with the 5E3 then. That's about all they do.

Just sold mine. Too limiting.

6. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I do think he was once bitten twice shy. Can't deny he tried even harder the second time around to eliminate that evil distortion. But it is funny how overdrive was such a bad thing!

7. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Good question here. Leo did like clean. But he made the Deluxe from 1948 on, and the 5e3 iteration from 1955 to 1960. They clearly didn’t think it was a failure, and they didn’t 'fix' its lack of headroom or its other supposed faults during that 12-year span.

Sure, rock guys eventually adopted it because of its OD, but there were clearly lots of people who could play it clean. *Clean by '50s standards,* anyway. And let’s face it, Larry Carlton on a 5e3 isn’t at all Neil nuclear.

Many folks never figure out that the 'volume dial' on a Deluxe only goes from about 2 to 4. After that it’s an OD dial. And the tone dial adds gain. And the opposite channel way up is a 'polite' dial. And so on.

Our friend @Wally has often talked about shaping a 5e3. Touch and pick attack and the guitar volume knob and....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

62Brownie likes this.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

from what I could hear, I liked the LP through the Concert, strat through the Bassman. but if I was standing in the room, I might think different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.