63 Concert vs 59 Bassman

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by CWP0126, Jul 13, 2019.

1. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

This guy Johan makes some pretty cool amp shootout videos. This one is between a 63 Concert and 59 Bassman. You can hear the difference between the two, but they both sound awesome to me.

Edit: You have to watch the microphone placement to know which amp they are playing through.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    swany likes this.
  2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

It wasn't obvious as to which amp was being used in your demo, but IMHO, the '63 Concert sounds mid-y and muddy, while the '59 Bassman sounds brighter and cleaner.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    CWP0126 likes this.
  3. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

That’s not my demo, it just popped up on my YouTube suggested videos today so I thought I would share it with the forum.

I wish he would’ve put captions up as to which amp he was playing through at the moment. You have to watch the microphone placement when he switches between amps.

I thought they both sounded good, just different. He says the Concert has replacement speakers while the Bassman has its original Jensens. I would have liked to hear the Concert plugged in to the same speakers as the Bassman to get a better comparison between the two.

I agree the Concert has a lot more mids compared to the Bassman.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

So which is which?
    Looks like we're comparing a Strat to a Les Paul really.
    Both sound pretty dang good though.

drf64, bftfender and CWP0126 like this.
  5. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

You have to watch where the microphone is. The amp that is being played through at the time is the one that is mic’d.

They play the Les Paul and the Strat through both amps with similar riffs. Back to back.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Strat won, but maybe that's just me.

CWP0126 likes this.
  7. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

I agree, that Strat sounds killer, especially through the Bassman. But I like the sound of the Les Paul through the Concert and the Bassman also.

8. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

There’s something up with that Bassman too. It looks like there’s a gap between the top of the amp and the grille.

It must have been put into later cabinet?

9. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I think I need a brown Concert to go with my 1962 Pro and Vibrolux.
    Thanks john

62Brownie, bftfender and CWP0126 like this.
  10. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I preferred the Basman but that's because I'm not a fan of how BF amps break up. Maybe it's because Leo designed them so they wouldn't? In any case give me a tweed for those raunchy riffs.

CWP0126 likes this.
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would like to hear the amps running through the same speakers. I also would have preferred one player on one guitar demo’ing the same licks through the two amps in a less confusing manner. That said, the Concert’s leans toward that BF mid-scoop thing....which it naturally should given the tone stack in that 6G12A Concert, which but for the tapped treble pot is identical to the AB76 Super Reverb. My prototype BF Pro has the same tapped treble pots in it. That yields something a bit different from a normal BF tone circuit, but it does not give a midrange tweed sound. Given the same player one the same guitar, I had no trouble differentiating between the amps.....the Bassman has that big tweed thing that drove Jim Marshall to clone it.

Mike Eskimo and CWP0126 like this.
  12. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I like the Concert more. It has that hint of fuzz on the breakup that I love; the kind of sound I usually associate with tiny tweeds

powerwagonjohn and CWP0126 like this.
  13. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

That’s interesting @Wally. I thought I was hearing more mids through the Concert; I’ll have to go back and watch it again and maybe with headphones instead of the iPad speaker. I agree I would have liked to hear them using the same set of speakers too.

That’s the thing, I wonder how they really sounded being in the room with them. I bet it was glorious!

What is the story on tapped treble pots? I haven’t heard of that before.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A missed opportunity as a shootout.

Agree with others : same speakers or - why even do it ?

Saw a bunch of vintage Bassman vs RI Bassman clips years ago and all had the same problem - not the same speakers.

CWP0126 likes this.
  15. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I listened to it with Apple earphones and I too heard less mids on the Concert. Another thing I observed...that was the smoothest sounding 5e6a tweed Bassman I've heard. Usually they're more raunchier sounding.

CWP0126 likes this.
  16. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Both beautiful.

From firsthand experience, I think those Blackface Concerts (and Bandmasters for that matter) are ideal for more contemporary pedal and amp setups.

The firmer bottom m(of the solid state Rectifiers maybe?) and slightly tighter feel are actually very welcome. A well maintained Concert is just an epic sound clean, crunch or filthy.

Thankfully they are dirt cheap and don't have the pricey legend premium other vintage amps have.

CWP0126 likes this.
  17. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wally's certainly right, a clear part of what you hear is the reissue Jensens in the Concert vs. re-coned real ones in the Bassman. Hmmm, who made '90s reissue Jensens?

But you also hear the key tone differences between tweed and later Fenders. (This isn’t a BF, really, but Wally points out it’s close circuit wise.)

If you watch a lot of Johan's shootouts, it’s usually easy to tell which amp they’re playing. That suffers a little here because they’re in a music store. The flashing lights, yow! But as noted, just look at the mic stand.

And the store tells you the deal. They test real-world vintage amps, the kind you might find in a shop. So they face real-world limitations, a big one being speakers. But for this reason they always take care to say which speakers each amp has. And they do much better with mic'ing, levels, and a straight signal than many YouTube vids.

I admit the 2 guys / 2 guitars can be a bit much, but the upside is two totally different styles *and* signals. I love gregsguitars, but after a while all the amps sound great but also sound a lot like Greg, and so a bit the same.

They aren’t perfect, and I don’t watch them that often, but they can still give you insights you’d never get otherwise. An example, speaker differences included.

hotrodkid likes this.
  18. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I have a brownface Concert that's been one of my favorite amps since I got it about ten years ago, and just last year I built a 5F6-A Bassman clone, which has also become a favorite. But I can only assume that they went to some pains in that video to dial in the same general tone on the amps, because they sounded fairly similar in a lot of respects, but I would say mine are two very different amps. The tweed Bassman is a tweed Bassman, and does what tweed Bassmans (Bassmen?) do, whereas the Concert in my experience, has a lot more headroom and can get a rich warm mostly-clean tone that the Bassman can only dream of. Having seen this video, I'm going to have to see if I can play with the tone controls to get it to sound more like the Bassman, but what I like best about it is that other tone. That, coupled with that swirling brownface tremolo, is what makes that amp special.

For what it's worth, my Concert also has replacement speakers---Eminence Ragin' Cajuns, which I'm sure are very different from whatever came in it. The Bassman has new ceramic Jensens. So that may contribute to some of the difference, but I don't think all the difference in character can be attributed to the speakers.

19. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yes..i agree,,looking for 1 more fender myself..Johan makes the best videos

20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

the beauty is tho..make the amps your tone..with your speaker preference !! slant the amp how you want & from time to time change it...then have your tech really hook it up to your needs...they are all great..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.