'62 Tele Bridge Pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by lance71, Jan 3, 2021.

1. lance71

lance71 TDPRI Member

I was surprised this came with a bridge! I saw a listing on eBay and just thought it came with it separately. Didn't realize it was a Fender packaged combo.

My Vintera Tele has Twisted Tele pickups. Really like them. Especially the neck pickup, but wanted to try something different in the bridge. According to posts on here the Muddy Waters MIM Tele has a modified '62 in the bridge. I love that pickups set. I figure a '62 might be a good base to start with and seems to get good reviews overall. See how it fits with Twisted Tele Neck.

IMG_1780.jpeg IMG_1781.jpeg

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Those do get love and good reviews here. Let us know what you think.

lance71 likes this.
  3. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

It's not very often you get surprises like that on eBay ;)
    I just bought a '62 bridge pup on eBay (but alone !) for my MIM Joe Strummer Tele. I'll let you know how happy I am after it's installed (and received... International shipping takes forever nowadays...)

zippofan and lance71 like this.
  4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

that bridge and 62 pickup has been a great deal for years- I really like that 62 bridge pickup but I do prefer compensated brass saddles on that bridge

lance71 likes this.
  5. lance71

lance71 TDPRI Member

I do have some brass saddles I may use, but am going to try these first. Long time ago I had a MIJ Esquire that had these ridged barrels on it. I'll just try them again to see what they sound like.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They're sold as a pickup and as a pickup/bridge assembly and the pricing makes them a good value. It's OEM for the AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster. They must have made a godawful lot of them by mistake, as the guitar came and went in a couple of years, but the pickups have been sold individually for years. They aren't a Fender cataloged item and a available through resellers who buy them in batches.

They're A3 magnets, even though Fender may have called them A2 by mistake for a while. They've got a 'normal' resistance and are a good all-arounder for most music. They twang, but they have a slightly softer high end that doesn't have that absolute snap on top.

I really like the '62 set and have both the neck and bridge pickups in my Squier CV Tele. That guitar is my 'mule' for trying pickups, but I haven't found a reason to pull the '62 set out of it.

lance71 likes this.
  7. lance71

lance71 TDPRI Member

Thank you. That's a lot of good info on them. Makes me feel better about my choice. I'm looking forward to try it out.

archetype likes this.
  8. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I put the ‘62 set in a home built T copy and they aren’t going anywhere. In fact, I have several more expensive pickups that I’m anxious to try, but they’ll have to wait for more builds. The ‘62s are keepers. I bought a second set for a T I’m building for my son.

By the way, those aren’t simply “ridged rod” saddles. They’re threaded steel rods, and that saddle is a perfect sonic match to the pickups. Don’t ask me why. I have brass barrels mated up with a set of Fender Blackguards that seem perfect for those. Maybe the characteristics of the magnets in each set respectively.
    And I don’t think Fender sold the bridge pickup separately from the bridge, so anybody selling only the pickup might have liked that bridge.;)

zippofan and lance71 like this.
  9. archetype

The bridge pickup is Fender part number 0056075049. It's a poly-bagged OEM part.

10. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

@archetype ~
    Without the bridge?

My first error of 2021!:eek:

11. archetype

Cool! One and done. Glad you got that out of the way and don't need to make any more errors in 2021.

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  12. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

I love the ‘62 bridge pickup - it’s one of the best Fender made Tele pickups.

13. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Oooh threaded saddles, I love 'em! My only experiences are with my old Ampeg (avatar guitar) and Glendale Groovy 60's compensated. I wish my Ampeg had a standard sized bridge, I'd be all over that, but it's some weird 70's Japan size.

lance71 likes this.
  14. lance71

lance71 TDPRI Member

I am curious what are the advantages or just what is preferred with threaded saddles over others. My first Tele an esquire had threaded saddles. Since then I just seemed to always have the brass barrels. Looking forward to trying the threaded saddles again.

15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I've occasionally had strings want to move around on me with smooth barrels, they don't go anywhere on threaded saddles!

VWAmTele likes this.
  16. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

I received the '62 and installed it yesterday. So far I like it very much. The J.Strummer original MIM '60's bridge pup is AlNiCo5, low resistance, and has no baseplate : it sounded not bad at all but kinda bright and dry. I was wondering if the the pots were 1meg like the '69 thinline RI... But they are not, they are CTS 250k and the pickup alone was responsible for that. The '62 AVRI is in the same ballpark sonically, but it has AlNiCo2 magnets and a copper baseplate; it sounds bright but never ear piercing. The big difference is when pushed, it has a great compression and it sounds fat with overdrive or distortion. Middle position is great too, this guitar is the most "alive sounding" of all my Teles !

I compared it with another Tele, a '65 partcaster equipped with Analogman Jim Weider Big-T Telecaster neck pickup (made by Lindy Fralin) and a Duncan Donahue bridge pup, which is also AlniCo2 but wound hotter. They are close but the J.Strummer has less output and sounds cleaner while the '65 sounds better for rock. If I had to choose, I'd keep the J.Strummer because it has that great snap and it feels alive the louder you play.

zippofan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.