62 Custom Telecaster font

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Telover, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Telover

Telover Tele-Meister

Folks, does anybody have an idea on what is the 62 Telecaster Custom font? Not the "Fender", the "Custom Telecaster" that looks a little "gothic-esque".

2. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I spent quite a while looking for that font and never found an exact match but "Copperplate Gothic Light" comes pretty close. Here's a photo of the logo I did using that. Good luck.

buckarooster headstock.jpg

3. Telover

Telover Tele-Meister

Thanks alot John

4. Telover

Telover Tele-Meister

I checked that font but it's not even close to that. It's surely not Copperplate gothic light. The "e", just to name one, it's uppercase style even using lowercase. However the font is completely different.
    I found some similar one under "gothic" style, though not close.

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Can you give us an example of what we're looking for?

6. Telover

Telover Tele-Meister

I think what it's written in the first post is clear, the "Custom Telecaster" font.
    [​IMG]

The "copperplate light gothic" is completely out of the way, not even close as you can see below:
    [​IMG]
    I found a kind of medieval font which is closer, but it's not yet the exact one. The font that Fender used at that time, early '60s, is probably quite old so I think it should be connected in some ways with the "serif" style.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

If it was clear I wouldn't have asked.
    [​IMG]
    ...& why so pissy? We all like looking at guitar pics, yes?

jman72 likes this.
  8. Telover

Telover Tele-Meister

Not pissy at all, just explaining. You should have stated "...if it was clear for me" since it's "Not the "Fender", the "Custom Telecaster" that looks a little "gothic-esque""
    Also, well stated 62 Custom, not the 72 Telecaster Custom you posted above.
    Must be a li'l confused, fellow :cool:
    Cheers tho

9. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Tuxedo Poly and John Owen like this.
  10. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Very sorry! You are correct - that one is not even close. I slipped a cog somehow!

The actual font I used was "Candara" but @MatthewK seems to have nailed it with "Sardis" which is the one I wish I had found when I made the logo I posted above.

11. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

MPI Sardis is a relatively new font. It wasn't around in '62. MatthewK has probably nailed it with Lydian which is an old wood type from the 1930s. Another very similar font is Clearly Gothic which is not a perfect match but close.

12. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, dude, but you do come across that way. And when you come on the forum and ask people for their help, in my opinion YOU should be the one that tries to be extra nice (at least that's what I try to do). To say "you should have..." to someone who's trying to help you out when they ask a follow-up question for you is not very nice.

13. Telover

Telover Tele-Meister

Jman, the worst thing about forums is one usually misunderstands which is the attitude of the person who writes something. I clearly wrote I wasn't pissy at all, however a 62 and a 72 Custom are completely different pages. That's why I would have written "it's not clear to me". As simple as that.
    Matthew, John and Tuxedo, right. Sardis is similar but too new. It would possible to mix different letters but it would be a pain in the butt.
    The one I found is "Hamlet or not" but I guess is a new font as well. Quite similar, anyways.
    Of the two above the Lydian is much closer. It would be interesting to know if the guy who has chosen that style used it plain as it was or modified something. If you look at the "l" of teLecaster, the bottom part is somewhat slant cut.
    "Ferry cross the Mersey..." :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.