62 Custom...Tame the Treble

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by rhino, Sep 17, 2021.

1. rhino

rhino TDPRI Member

I've got a '62 Custom (no, not a "real" one) and I need to "tame the treble." It's got Duncan Antiquity pickups with a standard Volume/Tone control setup. I figure the first step is to replace the threaded bridge "pieces" (yes, from a real '62!) with brass. What other options are available?

2. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Turn the tone knob counter clockwise

3. rhino

rhino TDPRI Member

Yep...I do that...looking to move my baseline.

4. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

yPhil and rhino like this.
  5. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

If you got 500k ohm pots try 250ks

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Let's start with... What is a 62 Custom? An AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster? Or, what?

mojek and rhino like this.
  7. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have no problem with my AV62RI Tele with original pups. The bridge pup is actually the first Tele bridge pup I’ve grown to love. I do of course fiddle with the tone knob but it’s not what I’d call shrill wide open.

Maybe try an AV62 pup?

moosie, rhino, VWAmTele and 1 other person like this.
  8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

so what's the whole story. Your saddles will make a very subtle slight difference. I'd look at amp/speaker stuff like that first probably if it was me.

rhino likes this.
  9. KATT

KATT Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Could be one of these perhaps?
    Screenshot_20210918_091002.jpg

Fretting out and rhino like this.
  10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Your amp and guitar have tone controls.
    Use them.
    They will definitely be more effective than a saddle change.

rhino likes this.
  11. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

The OP has already indicated that he's not stubborn about running the guitar wide open. To change the "baseline," there aren't that many options. Raising the bridge pickup slightly or lowering it a lot will cut some treble; lowering the neck pickup will do the same. Adding a little more relief can make a subtle difference, too. Shimming the neck so that the saddles are closer to the body can soften the attack slightly. Nickel round-core strings can make a huge difference. Cutting the volume slightly can yield a different flavor of treble attenuation from what you get out of the tone knob, and can be really sweet with so-called 50s wiring.

Brass saddles will move the resonant peak down a bit, but the super-high overtones (5.6-11K or so) will likely still be there.

Other than that, right hand technique and choice of pick are about all that's left without swapping components. I find that a heavy pick with rounded edges works well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    rhino likes this.
  12. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Depends what “tame the treble” means. I have a MIJ 62, and all i worry about is that the tone is sometimes a little thin on single lines on the B and E strings.

Pedals and amp settings can help. I’ve used clean boost, compression and/or graphic eq to good effect.

Finding the same notes further up the neck, on a lower string, can be a cheap workaround.

I keep thinking about going up from 9s to 10s or 11s, but would struggle with bends on the heavier gauge strings.

rhino likes this.
  13. rhino

rhino TDPRI Member

Thank you for that...I'll give it a read!

I'll take a look at what's in it...thank you.

It's not Fender but made to look like one. Specs are:

Ash Vintage tele finished in black nitrocellulose lacquer.
    Fender Vintage Bridge with threaded steel saddles
    Fender Custom Shop Broadcaster Bridge pickup (seems I was wrong on the bridge PU)
    Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele neck pickup (again, WRONG!)
    Maple tele neck with rosewood fingerboard
    Bone nut
    10-46 strings

It's a road dog and I love the way it sounds...I just want to tame the top end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I may look into that...Thank you.

I normally only play one amp at a gig and a couple of guitars and it sounds good with others. My preference would be to tame this guitar as opposed to fiddle with the amp between songs.

Nope, see above. Crazy of me to post a telecaster question on TDPRI! :p

Please see above...

Thank you for your input! I'll play around with pickup height and see what that does. I rarely run the volume on the guitar WFO and already use the "corner" of a 351 pick ala SRV. I'm off to experiment!

Thank you all

14. rhino

rhino TDPRI Member

I recently added a Boss GE-7 to my pedalboard. I suppose I could accomplish the top-end roll-off with it and must step on it with I pick up this guitar. Hmmm...

[​IMG]

15. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

That pickguard looks perfect, btw. It seems to have some very subtle aging, but without the completely inauthentic yellowing that "aged" pickguards usually have.

And good choice w/the Turbo Tuner. Absolutely the finest tuner ever made, including all varieties of Conn and Peterson strobe tuners!

rhino likes this.
  16. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

It sounds counter intuitive but raising my bridge pickup fatted up the sound to my ears. I will also say if you don't have to roll back more than 50% of your tone I would leave it as is because that's perfect. In a band setting its sometimes better to use your tone control to increase your brightness rather than increase the total volume of your setup if you need to cut through or hear yourself. I find that fat bedroom sounds don't tend to work playing live because your stepping on the bass and drums.

fenderchamp and rhino like this.
  17. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Yup. I have used a GE7 and found a little adjustment goes a long way.

rhino likes this.
  18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

you may have a neck and body that add up to a bright guitar. It may not be the pickup(s).

You've got the Baja 50s Telecaster pickup set in yours and that Broadcaster bridge pickup isn't known for being overly bright, at least it isn't in my ash Baja. Like others, I'd recommend the Fender AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster set, the bridge pickup having twang with a smooth top end, but I don't see how that would be an improvement if the Broadcaster bridge pickup sounds bright.

rhino likes this.
  19. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've got the Baja set in a tele too, back from when they first came out and there was not 50s Baja, just a Baja, and while the bridge pickup isn't what I'd call "fat" it's not by any means out of the typical tele norm. The guitar is a pine body/maple neck. I'd raise up the bridge pickup first too, as has been suggested, more gain, more compression, less treble. what guitar are you using that you are setting up your rig to and calling your "normal" sound?

rhino likes this.
  20. rhino

rhino TDPRI Member

I agree...and new pickups might be the answer...or continue to ride the tone pot.

I like variety and if I had to pick I'd choose my Nocaster...but I don't expect the 62 to sound like the Nocaster...I'm thinking Don Rich so the answer here is likely futzing with the bridge pickup position carefully assuming closer to the strings = less treble and riding the tone pot. Don't get me wrong...I love the way the guitar sounds...and it may just be the way it is. I'm OK with using the tone...'cus that's why it's there!

During any given gig I choose between: 62, Nocaster, and a Huber Krautster II. No shortage of choices...just trying vet my idea of trimming a bit of top-end off the 62.

Rock on!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.