60th Anniversary Limited Edition Tele

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Forgive the hole in my knowledge here, but I didn't start playing until 2010 so there is a lot that I missed out on prior to that.

I was shopping for a vintage spec telecaster like the '52 AVRI when I stumbled across a 60th Anniversary Limited Edition telecaster (with the diamond on the body) for sale. The specs were right where I wanted them, but I also thought the diamond marking was a decal and immediately cringed wondering why somebody would do such a thing to what otherwise should be a great guitar. Then I read up to realize that it wasn't a decal, but a wood inlay....still not sure if that helped my cringe response or not.

So, now I am curious what the group thinks on the subject. Does that wood inlay ruin the guitar for you or is it something that you like?

The price was good for what is about as mint as a guitar could be and the limited run of 1,000 models should allow it to hold it's value over the years, so with nose pinched, I pulled the trigger. Now I sit here still not sure if I find that wood inlay a deal breaker after the fact or not?

It is also a little disappointing to see that Fender missed a great chance to produce something really unique for their anniversary. I mean this is really just a US built vintage spec telecaster with the only things unique being the numbered neck plate and the wood inlay. Good for sales probably, but not much more.

For those like me who may have never seen these before....I submit the following pic (it is a stock photo and not the one I purchased)

Attachments

• Capture60th tele.JPG
    Capture60th tele.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 168

feldkeen

Tele-Meister
It should of had a S on it for superman. I have 2006 mim strat it just has the diamond on back of head stock. Out of sight.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Nice guitar in just about every way, except for that inlay. Because of it, I would never buy one. This particular model was intended for collectors, not the general player like you and me.
I feel the same way. The original owner purchased it as a collectors item and it remained in storage since new (still the original strings). I was going to walk except we agreed on basically the price for a used American Standard Tele so I made the purchase.

Just still looking at it and wondering if I am really going to keep it or not? It really is a great guitar otherwise....but that emblem...why Fender, why?

koopus

TDPRI Member
I feel the same way. The original owner purchased it as a collectors item and it remained in storage since new (still the original strings). I was going to walk except we agreed on basically the price for a used American Standard Tele so I made the purchase.

Just still looking at it and wondering if I am really going to keep it or not? It really is a great guitar otherwise....but that emblem...why Fender, why?
This really is a toughy, For being such a cool 'utilitarian' instrument this is kind of disappointing. I think most of us here are in unanimous agreement that fender messed up with this model. HOWEVER, if you can close your eyes and fall in love with the sound, and feel of the instrument, that is paramount. You might learn to love it, even if you're not a fan of how it looks.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
This really is a toughy, For being such a cool 'utilitarian' instrument this is kind of disappointing. I think most of us here are in unanimous agreement that fender messed up with this model. HOWEVER, if you can close your eyes and fall in love with the sound, and feel of the instrument, that is paramount. You might learn to love it, even if you're not a fan of how it looks.
It might go down like that....it does play very nice and the sound is what I was hoping for. I don't see the damn emblem when playing so I can forget about it until I finish and put it back away...then roll my eyes again.

I never obsess over the looks of a guitar, but this one I think is going to be tough to ignore. They sure put a lot of effort into doing the inlay, I will give them that much credit, but it just was not well thought out.

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
Shouldn't there be a time limit on whining about something Fender marketed you don't like? I mean 16 years, come on now.

You have a guitar that plays the way you like, sounds the way you like, is a limited run and is an American made Telecaster. You hinted you got a deal on it. You buy it, then complain about the one thing that makes it unique

I'd be taking a bow on a deal like that.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It meant something to the collector that bought it, but not to you. Sticker, as was suggested or an inlay of your choice.

Southpole

Tele-Afflicted
I’d live with it as a curiosity / quirk. At least you’ll always know which Tele is yours! Looks like you get a diamond inside the case lid as well.

I seem to remember that Fender made quite a range of different limited edition Teles for the 60th anniversary. There were 12 models alone in the Telebration series.