60s Vintera Tele vs 60s Baja

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by holgaguy, Jun 26, 2019.

1. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been debating whether it’s worth paying the extra $ for a Vintera (love the sea foam color) or just grabbing a 60s Baja while they are still available.

The only difference (besides color) seems to be the bridge pickup - 58 on the Baja vs some “Custom Shop” on the Vintera. Does that seem correct?

Then again, for a little more $ I could step up to a Performer. :)

2. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

It'll be the "modified" version you're looking at if comparing to the Baja (the non modified would be closer to classic series - vintage radius, frets, no S1 etc.).

I just tried a Modifed 50's Vintera and the back of the neck is satin - the 50s Baja was all gloss. I think this may be true of the 60s too.

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't found a Vintera 60s Modified to try yet (just the vintage-spec 50s Tele and 60s Strat models) but I do know that every 60s Baja Tele I tried had the gloss-finished neck.

4. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

My Baja 60s has the gloss finish.

The Vintera 60s Modified has the Hot 60s Pickups. The Baja 60s has the PV52 in the neck and the PV58 in the Bridge.

So the difference would be pickups and the satin neck. Not sure if the neck shape is exactly the same.

5. fuzzadict

fuzzadict TDPRI Member

According to my local retailer, the baja's have a "thick C" neck profile, instead of the "modern C" of a Vintera? No idea how knowledgeable my local retailer is though.

I'm probably alone in this, but I'm partial to rosewood fretboards these days (or pau ferro or whatever) AND a more traditional fretboard radius...Which, dispite all the different models, leaves me with no affordable options besides the Squier CV Custom or the not-quite-that-affordable Fender Classic '60s :/

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Owner and fan of a Baja 60s here. Haven’t yet held a Vintera modified 60s. Just a few impressions by looking at the spec sheet:
    - as you noted, color choices are different so there’s that;
    - on the Vintera mod 60s sheet I read “modern C”. A Baja 60s has a “60s C” which is for all intents and purposes identical to the neck shape of old Classic 60s guitars. If you never had one in hand: it’s what I’d call a mid-size “C”, noticeably larger than the “modern C”, but also noticeably smaller than the so-called “U” neck on old AVRI 52s … I know this well because I’ve had my Baja 60s at the same time as an American Standard (since gone) and as a 2011 AV52 (current). As I like chunky necks, the transition to “modern C” is a downgrade IMO, but YMMV
    - the pickups on the Vintera mod 60s are "Vintage-Style '60s Single-Coil Hot Tele®”. No mention at all of the Custom Shop (… that’s the Vintera Modified 50s, the successor to the 50s Baja). The old Baja 60s sports an American Vintage 52 in the neck and an American Vintage 58 in the Bridge. As I stated elsewhere, it’s an amazing pickup combination, hard to beat even for teles that have much more pedigree. I have yet to try a Vintera 60s mod, so I don’t know how the new ones sound, but if like me you like vintage tones on your tele I suspect it’s another downgrade.
    - for the rest (radius, frets, level of workmanship, wiring, hardware…) I assume it to be the very same guitar, but of course this is a mere assumption. In this regard: my Baja required some small mods to be at its best: badly cut nut replaced, scratchy pickguard replaced… no big deal, and I guess it could happen both on a Baja and on a Vintera.

My 2 cents: if you spot a Baja 60s in your vicinity, and you like the color, give ‘er a spin.

@fuzzadict : if you want full vintage spec, a rosewood board, and a traditional 3-barrel bridge (no bigsby) the Vintera series has nothing for you … you’d better look for a used or NOS 60s Classic from before they made the switch to Pau Ferro. Finding one for cheap should not be difficult even in Europe: reverb.com (no affiliation) is your friend, and even Thomann may still have some.

7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

The 60s Baja pickups are great. I wouldn't buy the Vintera modified until I'd A/B'd them...….

8. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.