60's fuzz question: Shin-ei fy-2, Maestro Fz-1, etc..

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by soma89, May 11, 2009.

1. soma89

soma89 TDPRI Member

Hey,
    Recently I've become obsessed with old fuzzboxes and different fuzz sounds from old recordings. I'm looking for a dirty fuzz tone..I already have a bsm tonebender (fuzzface + tonebender) and though I like it a lot, I think I want to go for something a little dirtier. I'm thinking a sound like on "Spirit in the sky" "Revolution" or The Fat Albert Theme Song.

I am looking at the Shin-ei FY-2 & Maestro FZ1 but I really don't know which one to go for. I'm also kinda scared that the Maestro FZ1 will just sound exactly like my tonebender clone. Does anyone have any experiences with these fuzzes? How good can they do the 60's thing?

Thanks a lot

2. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

Check youtube and ebay for the Buzztone (jordan Bosstone copy) and the Ashbass Fuzzbrite ( Mosrite Fuzzrite copy). Very messed up, splatty, fast decay fuzz. Classic!
    I want either one but I am wondering how much I would use it. Even though they are fairly cheap.

3. twangpunk

twangpunk Tele-Meister

Fuzz is a finicky fiend indeed...try before you buy if possible. It's amazing how much the amp/guitar combo affects the fuzz-tones!

I've got the Fuzzbrite and love it but it seems to work best played through an amp with a lot of clean headroom. This is probably obvious to most but I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes...

Lot's of "Fuzz Talk" 'round here lately so search the site for more.

4. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

I think Norman Greenbaum used a Jordan Boss Tone for "Spirit In The Sky" which is basically what the Voodoo Labs "Superfuzz" is a copy of. The distorted guitar you hear on "Revolution" was achieved by overloading 2 mic pre amps on the recording console, no fuzz box was used.

If you want the Davie Allen & The Arrows 60's fuzz than look at the Ashbass FuzzBrite since that is a clone of the Mosrite FuzzRite which was used by Davie Allen and Nokie Edwards of the Ventures.

For the Shin-ei clone look no further than the Watson Classic Electronics Super Fuzz http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1099&CategoryID=10

Then there is the Yardbox which I think is a Tonebender clone but with a little more flexibilty. I have played old Vox Tone Benders and the funny thing about them is that no two sound alike.

The Barber Electronics Trifecta is pretty versatile.
    http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=727&CategoryID=10

Or you can try the Keeley Fuzz Head
    http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=41&CategoryID=10

5. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

Oh great! I could barely resist the temptation of another fuzz pedal!
    Now I feel like I NEED a Watson Superfuzz and my guitar playing and my life will suffer horribly without it! Thanks vjf1968!

6. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

you could do yourself a BYOC Leeds Fuzz... or make your own clone:twisted:

7. vjf1968

Is the "Leeds Fuzz" and the Watson "SuperFuzz" the same thing?

8. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

The Shin-Ei FY-2 is not the same fuzz as the Superfuzz [completely different circuit]. The original Superfuzz [Univox] is WAY more useable and cooler sounding then the FY-2. It's the fuzz that Townshend used in his "SG days" [Live at Leeds, etc....] The FY-2 is a pretty interesting fuzz but sounds so odd that it's not very useable for different situations [it's good for an "effect" ].
    The "Leeds" fuzz is a version of the Univox Superfuzz [not sure which version, though.]
    I haven't played through a Watson but I'm guessing it's a clone of the Univox Superfuzz.
    The Yardbox is not the same as a Tonebender MK II ....actually sounds pretty pale in comparison.
    The Maestro FZ-1 doesn't sound like a Tonebender. It doesn't have as much gain or "fuzz". Compare "Satisfaction" [Maestro] with The Yardbirds with Page [Tonebender].
    Brian.

9. vjf1968

Funny you should mention the Tonebender MKII. A while ago I played through three of them and they were noticable differences between them. The best of the 3 was out of my price range at the time. I like the Yardbox though not a clone it does come pretty close. Works for me.

The Wattson Super Fuzz has an expander switch (that's what they call it) to switch bewtween the Shin-Ei and Univox sounds.

Of course you can always hunt down a Roger Mayer "Page One" which is a clone/re-issue of the pedal that he made for Jimmy Page and Big Jim Sullivan back in the 60's, they have been discontinued.

10. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--
    Hhmmm....... so the Watson isn't an exact clone of the Superfuzz.
    Yeah, everybody was jumping on the "Tonebender" bandwagon for awhile [ I had a bunch of guys pumping me for info on how to get "Page's Sound" and "What Tonebender circuit did he use" ....blah blah blah]. Every one of them sounds different anyway! The Mayer pedal isn't even what Page used, either !
    Brian.

11. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

Hope this isn't too much of a derail...

Brian is correcto.

To my knowledge Leeds Fuzz is based on the model that Townsend used (hence the name) which i think is the 1509 or 1609 circuit??? something like that... it is different to the Shin-Ei circuit.

The Shin-Ei also came out re badged as Jax and a heap of others which escape me atm.

While i was looking for a clone of the Superfuzz, the Watson always got thrown up as a very good replica. Then the Leeds came out.

I built a Leeds and while i haven't A-B it with a Watson (let alone a real super), i have put it against an MJM China (another good replica Superfuzz, apparently) and it's pretty much identical. One side of the switch had a slightly different tone, very slight.

Unfortunately i haven't played a real one nor do i know anyone that has.

Could it be said that most fuzzes of the time had their own little quirks re: component variations?

12. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Can fuzz get any dirtier than this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMyjezKxA4k

That's Ivy's Gretsch -> 70's Univox Superfuzz -> BF Pro Reverb w/15" speaker.

The best Superfuzz clones I've heard are the Black Cat Superfuzz (hard to find) and the Wattson Super Fuzz.

I don't think you can get close to this with any Tonebender or Fuzzrite clone.

13. Columbus

Columbus Tele-Meister

Thumbs up on the Cramps Vid.
    If that's the sound you're looking for, the Wattson will do it perfectly.
    I didn't like the Ashbass Fuzzbrite but the Wattson is great. Just my opinion, others like the Fuzzbrite a lot.

14. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--
    Yeah, for over-the-top fuzz [with a little bit of octave] the Superfuzz is it! They sound great with American amps, too [ which the English pedals like TB and FF don't].
    I made a Kay Fuzz clone years ago [basically a "one sound" version of a Superfuzz] and it's all I ever need for trash/garage/horror movie/ type fuzz.
    Brian.

15. soma89

soma89 TDPRI Member

I'd like a Jordon Bosstone or a MAestro Fz-1 ....but I play a tele..

I dont think the Jordon Bosstones would go into the input jack of a tele since it kinda caves in. Also, the Maestro fz-1 has an "L" shape cable input made for going into the guitar and I don't think that works with telecasters.

If anybody has any experiences using these pedals with teles, i'd really like to hear em.

16. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--
    I've made those into a floor unit [like a regular stompbox]. That way any cord will work.
    Brian.

17. vjf1968

Like I said before. The Voodoo Labs "Superfuzz" is based on the Jordon Boss Tone.

18. missfortune

missfortune Tele-Meister

My new favorite 60s style fuzz: Bigfoot FX Spaghetti Western fuzz.

From honk to octave to buzz and everything in between.

[​IMG]

http://www.bigfootfx.com/

Check the clips.

19. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Univox Superfuzz clone that is the nastiest fuzz ever ( in a good way ). It gets so dirty that hearing individual notes is hard sometimes. A more refined fuzz ( and much more versatile ) is the Keeley Fuzzhead.

20. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

creepy fingers will make any vintage fuzz for u

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.