'60s Dynacord Echocord Super

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by firemedic, Apr 10, 2014.

1. firemedic

firemedic Tele-Meister

I tried this thread on the DIY effects board but got no takers.

I have a buddy who had taken apart a Dynacord Echocord Super, to paint the chassis. I looked this thing up & found that it's a wildly valuable little echo box.

He says it still works. I feel that since it was made in the '60s, it needs a cap job. So it's on the bench & I'm waiting for replacement e'lytics to arrive. I have a couple of misgivings:

1) I don't know the exact model (& it doesn't say on the chassis), which really isn't a big deal, but one likes to know these things.

2) The plug connections are of an old audio type that I don't even know the name of. I suppose I could shoehorn a couple of 1/4" jacks in the 2 instrument-in & 1-out spots, but I don't want to ruin the value of this thing any more than necessary.

3) the original tape is still intact; I prob. ought to change that out but I don't know where to get it.

This is a beautiful example of postwar German craftsmanship. Exquisite point-to-point wiring, I can see why it's so highly prized! It's got 5 Telefunken ECC83s!

Does anyone here have experience with these tape loop boxes? I'd love to hear about your experience. Thanks.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

firemedic, I saw your post over in the EFfects forum. I don't have any experience with that unit, so I deferred to others. But...since you haven't had much response and since I like to 'talk'.....
    Value....if your buddy painted it, its value is questionable, imho. I don't think that some 1/4" jacks are going to devalue it any more than the paint job did. I could be wrong...but it is in the 'players' toolbox now, imho.
    As far as tape??? Have you checked with analogman....google it. He might have a source for tape for that unit....and other parts??? I imagine that he is experienced with that unit.

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

you don't buy tapes for a Dynacord. You buy a reel of tape and cut a piece off to make your own loop. I think it might say somewhere on the unit how long the loop should be. I think mine is 31 cm, but I am not sure.

I went to a thrift store and looked for reel-to-reel tapes. I found several that had been recorded with classical music and carefully labelled. I figured whoever went to all that trouble probably treated his tapes well, and probably never even played them!

4. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

I had a friend with a 8 track home studio in the 80's. We used to cut and splice loops of old mixdown tape for the folks using Echoplex's. If the dynacord is on a cartridge, (as 4 or 8 track was), the reel tape is the same width.

5. firemedic

firemedic Tele-Meister

My buddy hasn't painted the chassis, it looks terrible but the insides were well-protected.
    And the exact tape length (not a cartridge) is posted inside, so at least there's that. I suspected I'd have to buy a whole reel, hopefully it's not too expensive. Either that or the original still works well & there's no problem. That will be the last order of business since the tape can be replaced any time.

I'd rather find some sort of adapter for the jacks, since they are mounted in such a way that I'll have to bend up some guts to make room for 1/4", whether I use switchcraft or marshall style. I'll make that determination later when my options are better known.

I'll also be replacing the 2-conductor power plug with a grounded version.

Thanks for the replies, brainstorming is better with more brains :p

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

YEha...since not too many of us keep 1/4" tape around, I suggested looking to folks who work with these things for that aspect. I have reels and reels of the stuff lying about.....recorded one way...fast forward to load, play slow...store the tape. This way it doesn't stretch out. Old tape recording info..... I still have a tape splicing jig somewhere.
    Good thing he didn't paint it. Got a picture of the inputs??? Sometimes folks have odds and ends lying around. Maybe someone has something that could be used to build an adapter cable??? I had a fellow bring in a lap steel that was built in???MOSCOW! russian cowboys..who would have thought! IT had to have been from the late '50's/early '60's. IT had the strangest input jack I have ever seen....maybe just like the ones you are looking at there.

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

8. firemedic

firemedic Tele-Meister

Well I recapped it, installed a grounded power cord, replaced the rectifier & managed to find some replacement 1/4" tape in case it's needed (thank you Pro Audio Tampa!). The motor works so nice & quietly, and the voltages are nominally correct. So far so good.

At Radio Shack the clerk was sorry she didn't have a DIN plug BUT, she suggested I try a mini-MIDI cable. Hmmmm. I have one laying around here somewhere......

9. firemedic

firemedic Tele-Meister

And yes indeed it does fit. This is my contribution to the world of tech knowledge:

"A mini-HDMI plug is a perfect fit for a DIN receptacle."

Now I need to find 3 washers & 3 nuts to remount the pots, they were not included in the pile of parts.

My mom's staying with us this week but this project will resume this weekend. Stand by for results...

10. firemedic

firemedic Tele-Meister

Whoa nelly, this echo box is insane. The MIDI plugs (not HDMI, oops) made a great pair of adapters and it fired up with minimal issues.

11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Hehe, funny. a midi cable is actually a cable with DIN connectors.
    midi came a long time after the DIN plugs. they needed a 5-core cable and just used what was already available.

nice to hear the Echo box is rockin' you. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.