1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

60s Classic Player dilemma

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by georgeb4, Oct 28, 2007.

1. georgeb4

georgeb4 Tele-Meister

I have been waiting for Fender to come out with a pale sonic blue color for quite some time now so I'm interested in their 60s Classic Player. There are a couple features I wish were different though. I'm not sure about the 2-point tremolo and from what I've read the neck is probably thinner than I would like. Another wrinkle to this is that I'm pretty picky about the sound of the body and generally prefer a light weight. Right now I'm leaning towards playing as many as I can get my hands on, picking the right one and swapping out the bridge (and possibly the neck). What I'm wondering is if there would be any issues with switching from a 2-point trem to a standard 6-screw. Seems pretty straightforward... fill the two post holes and drill for 6 screws. Would this result in the bridge being too low? Any other recommendation for how I should go about this?

2. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Why not just build your own guitar if you don't like the features of that particular guitar? I don't really see the upside of the Classic Player anymore because they quit using the Custom Shop pickups that were the main reason for the upcharge. You really have to try one out to see if you like the neck or not.

3. georgeb4

georgeb4 Tele-Meister

Yeah I was thinking about just picking up a body from Stratosphere on eBay and buying the rest of the parts but am concerned that I won't know how that particular body sounds and am not sure if the neck pocket is different to accomodate a (taller?) 2 point bridge... I read the threads about the pickup change. It sounds like they are made from the same materials and wound to the same specs, only in Mexico. Can anyone tell me that they sound any worse because of this?

4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I second what Stuco says, build your own. You can get new Daphne Blue HWY 1 takeoff bodies off EBay for about $150, they are set up for the Vintage 6 screw tremolo.

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I swapped the body from my Vintage Player Strat to a high end Japanese body. Worked out great and all the parts fit right on with no mods.

You can easily buy all the parts and just bolt one together.

6. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I recently purchased a sunburst CP 60's and although necks are a matter of personal taste, I find it quite comfortable. And that's after coming off a R6 Les Paul. I didn't think twice about the 2-point trem. I bought the guitar mainly to use the trem since all of my other guitars are stoptails and I'm amazed at how well this guitar stays in tune. I still haven't figured out what everyones fear is of the 2-points.

I didn't research the guitar prior to purchase so I don't know anything about the pickups being Custom Shop made or designed. I just know they sound great. A lot of character. A little bright for some, perhaps. But that's what I was after since I lean more towards the Knopfler kind of sound as opposed to the SRV meaty thing.

I agree you should try as many as you can. I hit a couple stores and tried as many of this model that I could as well as other higher end models. I do like the sonic blue but this sunburst won out. It's a nice weight. Constructed and finished perfectly. Has a 2-piece body with an offset, almost unnoticable seam.

I don't like to tinker anymore so I wanted to find a guitar that was great as-is. If switching parts or building your own is the sort of thing you like then you may want to go that route to get exactly what you want.

[​IMG]

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In your shoes I'd look for a guitar with a neck and other parts that were acceptable to me, then have that body repainted sonic blue. You could also buy a nice alder or ash Strat body from USACG of precisely the weight you prefer, and they have a fellow (Roxy) they've referred many of their customers to for the finishing work. Check Harmony-Central for the details on that fellow, and check USACG's site for bodies. You are not gonna be happy if the only feature the CP gets right for you is the color.

Bubbanov

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.