1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

60's/70's Muscle Cars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Saw this one today. Not mine, wish it was!

EEC35473-0ED5-404B-8476-6E4F71A25026_1_105_c.jpeg

Old Deaf Roadie, Nubs, scook and 12 others like this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

That’s a cool car for sure. And it’s from just before muscle cars were killed off by stifling emission controls, battering ram bumpers, and the inflation that lead to cost cutting with its accompanying drop in quality. The peak years were 1970 and 1971. That one looks like a 1969?

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

yes it is

Stanford Guitar and JL_LI like this.
  4. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I wish this was mine!

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My buddy in high school had a 69 SS396 Camaro with 4speed manual. It was White with RS hide away lights and Black Vinyl top. He opened the hood to show me the motor and the fender wells and firewall were Yellow. Then I noticed the remnant of the Black Rally Stripes on the top of the firewall. Couldn't believe someone painted over a BumbleBee Camaro.
    That car would pull the front wheels off the ground on take off and pop them up again hitting second gear. Very fast and the original Chevy 12 bolt rearend took it all.

6. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Had a 68, a 69 and a real 70 1/2 Z-28 Camero. I miss my 70 1/2. Bought that one in 1981 and was hurting for $$$ about 15 years ago (let's not go there) for dirt cheap. I knew what it was when I bought it and and knew what it worth when I sold it...18 grand. Now it would be worth 40 grand. Oh well, I drive a Subaru Impreza now lol.

Zepfan, Telekarster and Greggorios like this.
  7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is the one I drooled over as a teen, 1971 Chevelle SS 454 Convertable. A retired guy in the neighborhood had a brand new one fully loaded, L6 package, Muncie comp tranny and Hurst shifter. Most of the time he drove it from his driveway into town, about a mile away to do errands and then back home again. I don't think he ever got out of 2nd gear but it did sound beautiful.:cool:

[​IMG]

elihu, Nubs, GibbyTwin and 3 others like this.
  8. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I once saw Jay Leno race his AC cobra against a old lady driving a Tesla. Jay got smoked.

RomanS, elihu, Torren61 and 2 others like this.
  9. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

My dad had a '71 (sleek Charger body). He sold it around 2007 and I never got to drive it on the road :cry::cry::cry:.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I could never afford a muscle or pony car but as a kid in '60's and '70's I loved the look and the sound!

So last year I started collecting a few die-cast models, so, I can pretend:
    20201225_161132.jpg 20200831_115835.jpg

* they almost look real, parked on beach sand, and not just on a towel.

Greggorios, Wally, Jakedog and 3 others like this.
  11. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

And a synthesizer can play anything a Tele can play and never needs to be tuned... ;)

12. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I was with my buddy when he bought his 69 in original condition (of course) in 1980s, 60K miles on it I think, for 2500 bucks... no clue whatever happened to that car. All I know is he modded the crap out of it to make into a 1/4 mile speed demon, which it was, and later sold it for less than he paid for it about 1990. Bet he's kickin' himself now! Then again... so am I ;) Wish I had my 56 Merc, 57 Olds, and 63 Buick Convt. back... geesh.

hdvades likes this.
  13. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I have many early memories of various cars and vehicle related experiences seared into my brain.
    A few:

Sometime around 1966 a neighbor dad took delivery of a new FuryIII sedan with some kind of special ordered performance variant (383 I think) and on that day took his son and I for a little ride...
    I distinctly remember cruising along at what had to be at least 60 mph and he mashed the throttle, and the tires just smoked. Even as a youngun, that stuck. Blame it on crappy tires. :confused:

In 1968 my grandfather bought a new Corvette. Run of the mill 350 auto.
    It wasnt that fast, but one of my uncles took me for some rides of terror. Have I mentioned lately that I come from a long line of squirrels?
    I remember being struck by the hideous fit and finish of that car. Even new. Just not impressive.

In 69 an older teenage neighbor had a '67 Chevelle, hopped up 396 solid cam four speed 4:11 gears. typical stuff for the time.
    Got many ride in that, including one drag racing my uncle in the above Corvette. No contest from a stop or low speed start.
    Another neighbor had a black '66 Impala with a hi-po 327, but it was more a polished up looker. No contest.

In '70, that Chevelle owners friend bought a brand new 454 Chevelle. Red with Black stripes. Cowl induction.
    I will never forget the sound of the secondaries opening on that Rochester and seeing the little cowl induction flap opening up.
    I remember that car as big, comfortable and badass.

There were many examples of cars that would be treasured now, but were rather mundane then. And remember that at that time a couple years old and they were considered nearing the end of life. One of my buddies in the mid '70s had a '69 Camaro convertable. SS with the RS trim (it was common to order them that way) white with black stripes. Pretty nice car. No big deal at the time really, but oh how we wish we had them now... :cool:

Stubee and getbent like this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I was aware of the fit and finish growing up with a family business that served a GM plant and regional car carrier hub. Also, 1 - 4 times a year we were contracted to destroy vehicles that had damage or beyond a cost threshold where they'd sell the cars. As a little kid I'd have the fit and finish differences pointed out. Relatives in Chicago area also in scrap business did some similar work and I recall an uncle and great uncle who reminded me of Seinfeld characters arguing about Ford, Lincoln, Buick vs other GMs. Then one of them was into Volvos and German cars. That "traitor" was right. Big old Benz cars were pretty solid.

Last night was super funny for this topic. After a MTB ride I was audience for some gear heads were chasing around with some older fixed up V8s, a lowered 2WD pickup, a last ever type Impala and a dude in a seemingly "tuned" VW with DGT transmission. A straight side street that turned into a curvy rural road. None of them could shake the little 4 cyl sedan that was also super quick because of that dual clutch automatic.

This old stuff is kind of fun remembering how I was into it as a kid and thought a local SS 396 and some other cars were cool but for actual ownership or use maybe a 1960s wooden Chris Craft with a 327 would be more fun.

In my 60s I'm probably at the end of my body's performance so maybe I'll get back into cars or motorcycles as a hobby when my body can't do expert MTB trails and skiing.

Greggorios likes this.
  15. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Roadrunner......

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

My first real car was a '70 El Camino SS396. It was pretty well with out by the time I got it, but it still looked the part.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Not a muscle car, but ran across this beauty a couple weeks ago in my neighborhood.
    20210313_151510.jpg

RodeoTex, Greggorios, Nubs and 6 others like this.
  18. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Mine was exactly like this one, except I had different rims.

BEBE2A50-B96C-4DD2-A508-E31E9FD1C160.jpeg

96A95105-6427-4D27-8185-680DF6E940BB.jpeg

88735A19-1380-425F-A968-7B6D3153D140.jpeg
    124A6621-89AB-42C4-BE78-D4D769B053DA.jpeg

Mad Kiwi, rze99, Greggorios and 8 others like this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Look at the bright side, guys! Today’s youth largely don’t give a damn about these things. There are exceptions, but for the most part it’s just “grandpa’s old crap” as far as they’re concerned. Unsafe, gas guzzling garbage that glorifies an unenlightened age of shameful excess and no regard for the future, or the people who would inherit the mess.

All we Gen X guys have to do is outlive enough of the boomers that will leave these things behind, and we’ll be able to afford them again like we could in high school. Mark my words. It’s coming.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Beautiful!!

My younger friend has a ‘69 RS/SS Camaro...fancy one. Electric windows, fold down rear seat to enlarge the trunk. He had owned that one since he was 16 or so. Original paint.
    He also is the original owner of 1976 Trans Am with the 455, iirc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.