60hz Hum w/ Fender Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by judd3121, Jan 23, 2019.

1. judd3121

judd3121 TDPRI Member

strat a various - this is all amazing advice, thank you. I think I was using the wrong cable, heading back to Guitar Center now to test out a different cable and check out the amp on their power source. If I'm still having issues, I'll definitely try out your chopstick advice next.

I'll report back shortly! Thanks everyone, this is an awesome community.

2. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

please do not use a pencil though! Wooden chopstick, plastic non conductive etc....

3. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

Hi, I have the same amp. You do realize that you have both the master and the volume cranked all the way up, essentially overdriving the amp to the max? Was that your intention? That will always be noisy, there is no way around it. If you're looking for clean tones, drop the Volume (near input jack) to about 3-4 and use Master to control output. If you want crunch, keep Volume around 6-7 and again use the Master for loudness. If you want the dirtiest/nastiest sound, crank both up, as you did :)

4. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

I believe I put a NOS GE12ax7 in the V1 another branded nos tubes in the other 2 pre amp tube spots.

5. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

I believe I put a NOS GE12ax7 in the V1 other branded nos tubes in the other 2 pre amp tube spots.

6. judd3121

judd3121 TDPRI Member

john_t - yup that was my intention to show the hum at its worst, though my tele with the same guitar cable at a studio on the same blues junior amp produced nowhere near the same level of hum. Even when the master and volume are at lower levels, the hum is loud enough that it's competing with my recording a bit.

Also to note, I took this back to Guitar Center today and swapped for a new one...same issue. And I tested a blues junior in store and theirs was quite hummy. But here's the kicker...they had a blues deluxe right next to it that was as relatively silent as I've been looking for.

strat a various - thanks for all the help! I tried moving the ribbon cables around as you said but unfortunately did not have any luck. Maybe I didn't find the right arrangement, but nothing I did seemed to have an effect. I'd love to keep tinkering, but I'm out of ideas.

NMore - thanks for the info. I'm a little peeved at Guitar Center that I may have to buy replacement tubes for something brand new, but good to know it solved your issue and may solve mine.

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

What is the cable you bought?

I had some of the same issues when I started out and the Livewire cables GC pushes were a factor.. some of them failed within a week or two and once the solder joints inside started failing they produced lots of noise.

Guitars are actually kind of sensitive to cable issues.. there is plenty of snake oil but it's not quite the same thing as audiophile type stuff.. unlike HDMI cables there actually is a quality level below which guitar cables really suck.

8. judd3121

judd3121 TDPRI Member

beninma - so I bought a 10' Mogami cable in the hopes it was my cable, but alas, the humming is just as strong. And that same cable used on the blues deluxe in the store produced almost zero 60hz hum even with the master and volume on full blast.

9. Bob Sushko

Bob Sushko TDPRI Member

Take the amp and gtr somewhere else and plug it in, I'm thinking it is your house wiring . . .

10. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Two questions: does the amp hum with no cable plugged into the inputs? Have you tried a humbucker equipped guitar with your amp?

Everyone is rushing to try to fix the amp, when that noise could very easily be external and is being picked up by the single coils in the Telecaster, and we haven't ruled that out yet. @robrob asked a similar question, and no one ever got back to him on it. Coincidentally, mains noise being radiated into the room is 60Hz.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11. judd3121

judd3121 TDPRI Member

@Bob Sushko - so I'm certainly starting to agree with you here. I took it to a Fender repair shop and the dude there plugged in his Strat and we couldn't get anywhere near the level of hum.

@clintj - so when nothing is plugged into the amp, it's virtually silent. Forgive my ignorance on if these have humbuckers, but the same exact humming issues occurs on my Fender Squire Jazz Bass and my Les Paul. But to mention, I had zero hum when I plugged my tele into a blues deluxe at Guitar Center...while their floor model blues junior had the same level of hum. Feel like I'm going crazy!

A couple stray things to mention:

-I bought a 3-to-2 prong converter to test things and it did not have an affect, which I've come to understand means a HumX would not be effective.
    -I've found that it's possible orient my guitar to greatly reduce the humming sound and this is true for my jazz bass and les paul (video attached).

Does this lead you all to believe the amp is fine and it's my home's electricity?

12. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

If the orientation of the guitar has an effect and the amp is silent without the cable plugged in, you've got an external problem. Second clue is that the same model amp is quiet in a recording studio - studios spend considerable amounts of time and effort to trace down and eliminate hum sources. At least good ones do, anyway. As far as the Les Paul, the pickups generally to a good job rejecting hum but the strings or even your body can still act as an antenna.

You may need to enlist a helper for this, but briefly open breakers for other circuits around your house while you listen to your setup. One or more circuits being turned off may greatly reduce or eliminate your hum. If you find one that does, then it's process of elimination in that room to find the source. That's not to say there might not be an issue with grounding in your music room, but relocating to another room and trying it there can help check that.

And you can toss that 3 to 2 prong adapter. Please don't ever use that with an amp, it disables an important safety feature (the safety ground) in a device with nearly 400V inside and you're holding something directly connected to it (a guitar). If the chassis becomes live, that makes YOU the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.