$600 for MIM Telecaster!?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by halcyon, Oct 3, 2015.

1. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Yea the 399 is tough but... honestly I don't care for the MIM lines till I hit Classic and Classic Player levels. So the gap is already pretty wide especially when I am buying used. A few small upgrades and I'm a happy camper.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^ I bought my untouched '98 (first year) MIM Classic Series '69 Thinline on CL in July for $400.

$800-ish new ? Not worth it. It's not an $800 guitar in any way. It is a fantastic $400 guitar though.

Other than MIJ ones, I wouldn't ever pay over $150 for anything with "Squier" on it...

I'm starting to think a lot of people have neither the time nor the patience to shop for used gear.

3. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

It largely comes down to the used market. Your not going to find a used Classic Series anything in my neighborhood for under 5 bills.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The Vintage Modified Series are in the $279 to $299 range but the Classic Vibe Series has been $379 to $399 for quite awhile. I've not seen them priced lower than since I've shopped and bought them.

Since the Classic Vibes are easily the equivalents of the MIM Standards in any way I can compare them, and actually easier to modify because they're made to MIA specs, I can only think this may actually help their sales.

As I said this may be just a precursor to offering some high dollar rebates on them during the next few months. Fender offers a $100 rebate and the dealers won't discount as much from that as they have in the past or maybe not at all since they rebate itself is even greater than their traditional 15% off sales prices.

5. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Agreed, but I scored two Classic 50's Teles in one week for $350 and $400. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. But it's not the norm, for sure.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

They don't seem to around here that's for sure. Does anyone even look through the classifieds any longer? Seems kinda dead these days.

If you would never pay over $150 for "anything" with a Squier label I'm guessing you don't buy many Squiers period then. Or at least not anything much above an Affinity model unless it's a very desperate seller.

And to address another pricing comment about them. The CV Series may be priced at $379 and $399 MAP but I don't know of many who've paid that for them new. The $320 to $340 range during sales is probably closer to being accurate for most of them.

I understand that some simply don't like them period. Whether it's their source of manufacture or something else I can't say but I know that as far as raw value goes they're some of the best guitars and basses Fender offers.

7. claes

claes Tele-Holic

The prices are even more ridiculous in europe. A Fender Mex 60 Classic Telecaster is 829 euros at thomann. I think I payd 550 five years ago. A classic vibe is 429 euros. The *** 62 bound im intrested in is 1090 euros. That I never pay. It's just a plank, Everybody has the same cnc machines now. Il go chinese/partcasters from here...

8. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I regularly see listings of $500 for used MIMs now around here which is double what it was a few years ago. I tried to tell you guys to keep it a secret just how good they could be but oh no, you just had to spill the beans.

9. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

10. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't seen any increases on the sites I normally shop at and Fender.com doesn't have increases.. Was it just the MIM Standard that increased or have MIAs increased too?

Seems odd that Fender would raise prices in light of what's been happening with Gibson and Fender Custom shop prices.

11. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

The MIM Standards have been $499 for several years, so I'm not one bit surprised by the price hike. I would imagine that Fender has rising costs just like any other company. Can they sell as many at the new price? Maybe, maybe not. Still, funny how people are screaming about $599 MIMs when many makes of MIKs regularly fetch higher prices.

12. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Here in Canada prices are climbing even more. Price increase + falling exchange rate = out of reach for most players.

I saw a new DRRI yesterday for $1200 plus tax (almost $1400!).

I don't know much but I know value. Thankfully, I am happy with the gear that I have.

13. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

There is a new limited edition DRRI that's a few hundred more than the standard reissue and it isn't obvious what's different at first glance, that might be the amp you're talking about.

14. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

You're in Detroit. It sounds like different universe than many other major cities. If I look at Boston CL any decent deals are scooped up within a few days, if not same day. If I look at the surrounding smaller cities I can find some better deals but I typically have to be patient and then the first person to show up with cash in hand. The local economy dictates the market big time, and Boston is booming.

15. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

It looks like the MP line and the lowest priced MIMs have all gone up.

Standards are now MAP $599. Nashvilles are now MAP $699. MPs are now MAP $499. Looks like similar price bumps across all other Fender guitars as well.

16. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

^this exactly^ I never thought I'd see the day when a Squier (great guitars by the way I've got four) was too expensive. My mate over in the states told me He'd just bought the Squier CV 60th anniversary Aztec gold strat, for $299, normally $399:eek: one of those was always on my want list but they reduced them here by £16 & they're still £399/$605.72:eek:
    http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-60th-anniversary-classic-vibe-50s-stratocaster-aztec-gold

17. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

I see little or no difference in the quality of the MIM's and Americans. When prices go up in the new market used prices will follow.

18. boney

boney Tele-Meister

Gun's and ammo, now guitar's. what are they going to price now, air?

19. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I'm in Baltimore, so, yeah... No good deals ever show up on our local Craigslist, so I never have to worry about losing out on them. Most stuff is priced at the top of the used spectrum and just sits. I try to put a moderate price on my stuff, but it still takes about a month to move anything. I miss having a good local Craigslist. DC is nearby, but half the posts are from northern VA, which is farther than I usually want to travel.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had 3 SQ's ('83-'84) and all of them were very nice.

I tried two CV basses at Elderly right when they first came out and was blown away by how great they were.

I then tried 11 (11 !) CV Tele's at Huber and Breese - the most of the same model I'd ever seen anywhere (said they sold great right when they came out but then the store over-ordered).

10 of them were ridiculously heavy w/ skinny necks. The last one was a nice weight - with a skinny neck.

Detroit's booming now. Anyone who wants a job has a job.

But, the CL here is a little sleepier than some other cities - especially on high-end gear (stuff that is worth many multiples of an Am Std Tele).

A buddy of mine has a '56 ES-175 that he got for a steal. He could actually sell it on the Nashville, NYC, or LA CL.

Here ? No way.

Still, I check CL 15-20 times a day and have cash with me. I bought a lot of stuff on it by being lucky but also by being very persistent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.