600+ CDs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Apr 15, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

But, they are damaged a little more every time they get played, with more wear in the grooves every time.

3. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

About 200 CD, 150 vinyls and 50 cassettes. I still enjoy putting in a CD and reading all the booklets and stuff. Not possible with MP3s. Just sayin

4. Jipes

Jipes Tele-Meister

More than 1000 CDs for my collection and 400 LP vinyl. I also have more than 200CD from the artists that I broadcast in my Blues Radio show. I have them on big shelves two raws of CD on top of each other separated by a wood shelf but the space is now really limited so I almost stopped buying CD's. I must say that I'm not a fan of digital files even if I also collect them for my Radio Show (oldies blues)

Texicaster and bottlenecker like this.
  5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

CDs are already digitized. What some of you are doing is moving to a physically smaller, but less stable storage format, and in most cases, down sampling the quality.

To avoid having a space consuming, physical shrine to music in your home, that is accessed without a screen?
    Get more room for a TV and some framed words of inspiration on the wall. Maybe a digital TV bicycle that doesn't move.

Not for me.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Question?

Does what you are referring to in your first paragraph, apply to my recent experience?

I dig the Grateful Dead and many of the commercially available Concerts are 3 disc sets.

So last year I was raving to our bass player about a show I had, and lent him the set.

A week later, he gave me back my discs, but also put the entire show on ONE CD! ( which is great, in the car)
    But there are little, quick 'static sounding' noises each time a track changes, and overall sound quality may be down a notch...Thanks!

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I don't know what format they're in, but maybe it's a data disc? If you squeeze 3 CDs onto 1 you're probably losing something, unless maybe it's FLAC files.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Digitize and Donate: Do one or the other, not both. Transferring the medium you bought originally to someone else means you no longer own it and takes the right to have the format-shifted (digitized) copy with it. Keeping copies for yourself violates copyright law in almost every country and deprives working musicians of sales.

Storage: I bought a case like this one and packed 500 or so into it. Each sleeve has the disc in the front side and the booklet and liner in the back with the liner sticking up so you can see what would have been the spine:

cds.jpg

The cuts the case's capacity by half, but it means each sleeve is an individual unit and you don't have to reorganize anything when you have a disc to insert between to artists that are already back to back.

Disposing of Jewel Boxes: Some libraries can use jewel boxes to replace broken ones. I have a friend whose church still burns CDs and he takes every jewel box I can supply. They're made of rigid polystyrene, which is recyclable in some places as #6. There's a data disposal company near me that takes them, too.

bendercaster and teleman1 like this.
  9. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

I’m a sissy. I only have +100 CDs of the Beatles. My religion prohibits online services; I need to have a physical media.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have no idea what the format is
    ( just know my car CD player plays it)
    And since were are talking about live Grateful Dead, there is already imperfection in the music anyway!

But I'd be lying if I said I don't like having 25 Dead songs on one disc.

( the same guy made me a similar disc, multiple Concerts, 41 tracks on 1 disc!)

P Thought likes this.
  11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I still buy CDs. They sound great & at a heavily discounted price, why not??? Have boxes of records, also.

teleman1 likes this.
  12. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I think the attic is not a good place for them. Cause they just won't play just won't play.

P Thought and bendercaster like this.
  13. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

1,400+ here. Need to divest myself of all but the rare ones. Not looking forward to it.

duzie likes this.
  14. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

I'm showing this to my wife.

"See this dear? I'm not the only one"

bendercaster likes this.
  15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

I need to get rid of mine. With Amazon Prime Music, I never listen to CDs anymore.

16. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

By using CD wallets, you can fit many hundreds of discs in a very small space. My iTunes account had more than 17500 songs last time I checked, and 95% of those are downloaded from discs that I own. I don't really know how many CDs I have, but for sure it's more than 2000. I keep a couple of hundred in the jewel cases in CD racks, but the rest are in wallets with their cases in storage.

17. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We have 500 that will probably go when we get a more modern car stereo!

18. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

For a few years, I comuted an hour each way to work, which meant I listened to 2-3 albums every day. After I got tired of what I already had, I started stopping at record stores along the way and picking a few new ones every week. That's when my collection really exploded. But all the big stores that sold CDs have closed over the last two years, I don't have that commute anymore, and the new car I got this summer doesn't have a CD player. When I sorted them a few weeks ago I pulled out a lot of my favorites and put them on a usb drive that plugs into my car. I'm not ready to part with them--it took most of my adult life to find them (and these are just the CDs that survived various culls over the years, when record stores were still around that would buy used CDs.). And I did put about 40 in a small box that sits on a shelf for listening to on the Stereo if the mood strikes.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have 4 or 5 of the smaller wallets. I think half that size. I took all my cd's out. If anyone wants them let me know. Just shipping.

I have a Sony Carousel CD machine. It's 400 cd storage and a player also. It would be great if anyone wants it for storing. About the size of an FM receiver. I'll sell it cheap.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You will lug them to your new place, where they will sit and gather dust until you die. Then your kids or whoever goes through your stuff will set them out on the curb where you should have now. No need to thank me, just throw 'em away.

The reason I know all of this is because I have 9.6 Gazillion DVDs. We bought matching pieces to store them in, and carefully organized them. I should have just kept "A Christmas Story" and threw the rest of them away. A Christmas story is just about the only DVD I ever watch, because I don't like DVDs because they don't have a commercial in them where I can hurry off to the bathroom and pee!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.