1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

600+ CDs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I just finished unboxing, alphabetizing, and re-boxing over 600 CDs. After 12 years in our house, Mrs_S and I are getting ready to down-size our empty nest. We hardly ever listen to a CD any more, but we don't want to get rid of them. They've been on three different dust-magnet shelves for years, so Mrs_S decided they need to be boxed up. I insisted we use some type of box that would allow them to be stored standing up, so we can read the spines. The only boxes we could find that were the right depth were large USPS Priority mail boxes.

Then Mrs_S set about boxing them up, but just sort of grabbed them off the shelves and put them in the boxes. In the end were kind of alphabetized, but not really, and there were a lot of random CDs scattered everywhere. And she didn't included a small shelf of about 100 CDs I had upstairs in my studio. In short, chaos. There was no way we'd ever be able to find a particular CD if we wanted to.

So, in addition to packing my upstairs stash of CDs, I concluded I had to unbox them all and put 'em back in an order that makes sense. There was a large handful of loose booklets that had to be re-united with their discs and jewel boxes. There was a smaller handful of booklets for which the CD no longer exists; those went in the trash.

It took me two nights. I ended up with 11 boxes with about 56 CDs in each. Now, I just have to label each box with the letters it contains.

What a PITA.

Flip G, Toto'sDad, catdaddy and 5 others like this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Dude! Patience or OCD?
    Bit of both?

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Got it, thank me later. CDs are dumb. You know it. I know it. Mrs. S. knows it. She puts up with dumb CDs because it’s a package deal with Mr. S. It’s cool. Mrs. Floor feels the same way, I know.

Digitize and donate. They are worth $0. Less than $0 really because it costs gas money to donate them.

Digitize! And save the jackets that are meaningful to you in a binder.

Then if you really need to touch media get a cool record player and keep a single shelf of albums out. Any more than that keep in a closet.

ElJay370 and Steve Holt like this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Good move!

Depending upon your collection you'll find MANY are no longer available! I'm in an RV and one of the few things I kept from home was my CD collection. Only ~200-300 but many have been hard to find. I've digitized too but drives fail and get wonky. iTunes and most players are junk and I've had issues with all of them cataloging CDs.

Just recently several more have disappeared...! But I have CDs!

I'm convinced the future with be paid streaming and not all your favorites will be included...No more buying/"owning" music.

Remember those baseball cards when you were a kid.....Give it 50 years but they may be gold!

5. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I just went through the same thing a few weeks ago, with about 700 CDs. IMG_20210327_110332043.jpg Alphabetizing them took for ever. I had them in two huge bins that fit under the bed and transferred them into six smaller bins destined for the attic.
    IMG_20210327_094404842.jpg

Nahtabot and Wyzsard like this.
  6. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 TDPRI Member

Amateurs! I'm looking at over 1000 cd's, 800+ cassettes and just about 2000 records. Oh almost forgot the 100 plus reel to reel tapes. This not counting the 60k plus digital music files. I could literally go several years listening to my collection and never repeat. Moving it is my idea of hell.

7. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I finally digitized everything and only have a hand full of CDs left.

I do buy vinyl though.

Wyzsard likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have 500-600, more?

Listen to a 'revolving 200' in the car ( and some of these at home)

The other 300+ are in boxes at our storage unit.
    Just not dealing with this yet

Wyzsard likes this.
  9. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I have over 800 due to inheriting one of my best friends collection. Thankfully his were boxed and organized well. Mine are scattered lol.

10. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I removed all the cd's & media content from all my cd's into plastic sleeves. All in alphabetical order with the info in the sleeves. Cut storage down by 2/3's. Anyone want to buy jewel cases?

11. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

cd are great absolutely fantastic format

grab a couple Sony CDP-CX455 and shuffle it up!

green_henry and burtonfan like this.
  12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I want hard copies, not digits on a hard drive. I have CDs that are over 30 years old that still play perfectly. Show me an album that can do that.

13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've been meaning to get those zippered wallets for mine, to make them easier to find and reduce the space they take.
    372578466-4031790.jpg

P Thought and Marc Morfei like this.
  14. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Many of these are digitized on my studio laptop at home and on a USB thumb drive in the car. But many hundreds are not, and I don’t have time to rip them all to MP3. Hence, organized long-term storage, not out in plain view, but accessible.

I actually put a few aside to rip before I close up the boxes.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

And no album paraphernalia.

DougM likes this.
  16. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Some of my used records or things that came from an older relative’s collection are over three decades old and still play well.

JohnsonNavinR and northernguitar like this.
  17. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

bottlenecker likes this.
  18. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

I "recently" moved (back in August), 75% of stuff packed is still in boxes. I only have about 200 CDs, but until they're on a shelf, being sorted isn't an issue. Also, I ripped everything to mp3 that wasn't years ago and as any new music came in since.

Although, I currently have over 8,000 mp3s that need their tags properly catalogued. I should get back to doing that at some point.

19. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I digitized all mine, several hundred, and did the same - they all fit in a medium-sized storage tub, in case of the inevitable disk crash. I do have the drive backed up, also.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/produc...-one-side-cd-in-the-otherbr4-mil-polyethylene

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've got about 300 I need to do the same. They are piled in large clear containers in the garage. Some aren't re-distributed yet, not on Spotify but well known acts, so they might be collectable. I'm actually looking fwd to it, and rediscovering/listening to some carefully collected material.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.