60+ years of music existance - all at once

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Yes, music has existed before 60 years but I'll limit my thoughts to stuff I see discussed here the most as far as popular music. Beatles and Jimi existed and were gone before I joined this planet. Lately, I have become a fan of the Grateful Dead. So all eras of every band is instantly available to me. I speak of the Dead, I know that folks waited for the next tour or can opine on a particular era (the Pig Pen era, Donna and Keith, the 1980's MIDI and Brent, etc.). All of this is available as a fan in a big youtube playlist that I can just jump around.

For other bands it's similar. Assuming I was a big Beatles fan, I could jump from 1964 British invasion to Sgt Pepper's with a second's click. No waiting for the next able and rushing out to buy it. No debates that "they sold out with XYZ album" (applies to any band).

I certainly can remember pivotal periods in my life, when Metallica's black album came out, or Guns and Roses epic Use Your Illusion twin albums, or would Axl even perform or ever release Chinese Democracy. But that was 30 years ago. I recall some of the drama at the time, but it's a fading memory and the music is left.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it's an interesting time. I don't know what the popular rock music of today is. I know the hip hop but none of the artists (my kids listen to it and it all has the same lawn sprinkler sound effect - which must be what chorus was to the 1980s).

I don't know if this a "thankful" thread or a "jeez I'm old" thread. But I wanted to get it out there.

Happy Friday.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Happy Friday to you too man! The takeaway I get from your thread is how we used to have to wait, and wait, and wait for someones music to come out and then rush to go get it before it sold out. Also, the countless hours I personally spent picking up the stylus and moving it back to the track of XYZ, so I could learn that guitar lick... or RW on ye old tape deck. I was so thankful when they finally started adding counters to the players! LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol: Today it's all a click away. Anything you want to hear, any time, any place. Yes it's nice but at the same time I tend to get nostolgic and turn on the table, slap on a 45 or 33, or even a 78, on it and jam ;) There's something to be said for the old days, too IMO :cool:

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Happy Friday to you too man! The takeaway I get from your thread is how we used to have to wait, and wait, and wait for someones music to come out and then rush to go get it before it sold out. Also, the countless hours I personally spent picking up the stylus and moving it back to the track of XYZ, so I could learn that guitar lick... or RW on ye old tape deck. I was so thankful when they finally started adding counters to the players! LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol: Today it's all a click away. Anything you want to hear, any time, any place. Yes it's nice but at the same time I tend to get nostolgic and turn on the table, slap on a 45 or 33, or even a 78, on it and jam ;) There's something to be said for the old days, too IMO :cool:

That's what the counters are for? I never knew!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
That's what the counters are for? I never knew!

;););) Saved me a heep o time. I could now write down the number (had a pad of paper for this very purpose right next to the player) and could simply go right back to the start of the lick! It was wonderful :cool:

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I used to wait until after a new band's impact has diminished before buying an album / CD. That made it hard to find them sometimes. I searched for Peter Gabriel's second CD for years before I found it. The record store by me could only get one or two per quarter, and there were lots of people who swarmed to scoop them up. I got lucky that day. This was all before Amazon and on-line shopping.

Things are different now. Good, bad, indifferent. Just different.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
;););) Saved me a heep o time. I could now write down the number (had a pad of paper for this very purpose right next to the player) and could simply go right back to the start of the lick! It was wonderful :cool:
My older brother used to make mix tapes, and he was particular about writing down the number for each track. When he stepped out of the room, or looked the other way, I would hold the counter reset button partway in, so that it stopped counting until I let go.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I did something similar about 5 or 6 years ago when I decided I would own / have every song I ever liked on my phone starting with the day I was born. No matter what might pop in my head I would have it available. Be happy you're younger. I now have over 5000 songs on my I Phone. Sometimes I think I'm done and then I hear a song on the radio that I've not added yet and the number goes up. My reference points / eras start with Elvis Presley with Scotty Moore on his multiple Gibson hollow bodies, Chet Atkins along with his studio work with the Everly Brothers, etc. and Ricky Nelson with James Burton on his Telecaster. Lots of great players from that point up to the next .... The British Invasion bands and guitarists. Jimi Hendrix pops up in the U.S.A. around the same time. From this point until the arrival of EVH Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Country, Southern Rock and Prog pretty much owns it. Then, much like Hendrix did 8 to 10 years earlier Eddie Van Halen shows up and another era opens up. Harder Rock and guitar virtuosos leading into Vintage, Hair and whatever other forms of Metal follow. At the end of the '80s / early '90s when others started into the Grunge stuff I found and lived on Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, and especially Tommy Emmanuel, (my personal guitar god), etc. When the 2000s showed up I was getting into country virtuosos with an occasional late great one from Eric or Paul. New to me players like Brad Paisley and Keith Urban became big time. For me .... nothing really great has come along since then. Different groups that defy genre like Blackmore's Night, (hate me if you want to ... I love them), and a few others have kept me going. Carlos Santanas albums with newer artists, (starting with Smooth), have also kept me going and introduced me to some of the youngsters out there. The last five albums I thought were super excellent were Tommy Emmanuel's "Only" in 2000, Paul Gilbert's "Burning Organ" in 2002, Brad Paisley's "Play" in 2008, Eric Johnson's original version of "Up Close" in 2010 and Tommy Emmanuel's "It's Never To Late" in 2015. The last 5 to 7 years haven't really produced anything that really grabbed me. Some songs, here and there, are pretty cool but no album format's have come along. 5000+ songs. Thank goodness they're slowing down.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My favorite part of high school was the anticipation of a new album coming out. One of my bunch of friends would inevitably get it, before they would sell out and then we would all convene at his house and listen to the album all the way through. Each guy had their favorite groups, so between us all we covered all of rock late 60s early 70s. We were all facing the draft, so this was the best diversion. One guy had an afternoon paper route, so we would all help him get it done faster, so that we could enjoy the whole album.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Try Dicks picks for your collection
Other music I am all over the board
I do remember when who's next came out we
Went to my buddy's house who had jbl speaker's