60% humidity in a case too high?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PsychedelicTrip, Feb 15, 2016.

1. PsychedelicTrip

PsychedelicTrip Tele-Meister

I tested the humidity in my Telecaster case the other day and it was 60%. Too high?

2. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

For a solid-body electric? No. Just keep it out of the rain. ;)

This assumes you're using an accurate hygrometer. Otherwise, it might be 80 or it might be 40.

3. PsychedelicTrip

Telecaster. It's a Humicase brand. Keef Richards is still alive and he used to play in the rain ;)

4. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

This is close to ideal for any guitar actually but if you live in an area with huge temp and humidity changes such as high altitude or desert regions, your average humidity could be fooling you because you get big swings and should be monitored.

5. PsychedelicTrip

I'm trying to but in this room humidity over the past week is all over the place. Nothing scientific but outside the case readings of 27-57 or there abouts.

6. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't be overly concerned with your cased guitars but...Here's a trick learned from, of all things, my tobacconist and it works. I'm a cigar smoker and travel with them. The problem is keeping them humidified on the road. The suggestion from my man was a little gem called a 'water pillow' and it works just fine for cigars. Hmm, methinks. If it works for cigars then...Why not guitars? Each one is good for about a month of humidification so up here in the high desert, when the humidity drops in the summertime, I just toss one in each guitar case once a month and I'm good 'til around the end of September or so. Cheap too...

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

40-60% is about the right range IIRC. I wouldn't worry about it.

8. PsychedelicTrip

I'll have to look into that. First search results had them for $1.35 and said up to 90 days. I'm using the sponge in a baggie method. That's pretty cheap at less than $0.50 per case. I could have bought the sponges at the dollar store and baggies sending the cost down to $0.25. One is currently keeping my acoustic at about 50%. After a while sponges will stink being kept moist. I suppose it could be worse though....forgetting about a half a potato ;).

9. PsychedelicTrip

I got to have an acoustic repair for a bridge that came off and do not know if humidity was the cause. I just figured despite knowing a Telecaster was much more durable it couldn't hurt and might help keep me in the habit for the more fragile guitars.

10. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

On electric guitars I don't think it matters as long as it isn't rusting from high humidity.
    Even if this was an acoustic, 60% is fine. So I personally would not be worried about it in the least.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.