60-cycle hum

Winky

Tele-Holic
I love my Tele, but it did need some extra shielding to reduce the levels of hum and static. I have it down to acceptable levels, but it's still definitely a (minor) issue. I accepted that some hum was inevitable. 😬

Until I got my FGN. This thing is utterly silent in terms of buzz and hum, whether I'm touching the strings or not. Whether I have it split or hum-bucking. No hum. Nothing. :cool:

So it is possible to completely eliminate it. Now I'm on a mission. Mega-shielding is coming up. And some research regarding best earthing strategies.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Whats an FGN?
Tele's seem to require good shielding more than most. Go figure. It must be the unique bridge pup. I've not found complete coverage of cavities to be needed, a good wide stripe is enough. However, the pickguard must be shielded and that must touch the cavity shield to complete the cage. All of it grounded to the electronics.

Winky

Tele-Holic
Whats an FGN?
Tele's seem to require good shielding more than most. Go figure. It must be the unique bridge pup. I've not found complete coverage of cavities to be needed, a good wide stripe is enough. However, the pickguard must be shielded and that must touch the cavity shield to complete the cage. All of it grounded to the electronics.
Thanks. FGN is a Japanese manufacturer (Fujigen). You don't see a lot under their brand in North America, but they make a lot of guitars for other brands like Ibanez. The guitar I just picked up was made in 2011 but is actually brand new (NOS). Mine is black version of this one. The top has a deep maple quilt that's only really noticeable under certain lights. It's a truly superb guitar.

1653151719484.png
1653151735843.png
1653151879194.png

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Thanks. FGN is a Japanese manufacturer (Fujigen). You don't see a lot under their brand in North America, but they make a lot of guitars for other brands like Ibanez. The guitar I just picked up was made in 2011 but is actually brand new (NOS). Mine is black version of this one. The top has a deep maple quilt that's only really noticeable under certain lights. It's a truly superb guitar.

View attachment 985724 View attachment 985725 View attachment 985726
That is sweet. Fujigen builds some nice stuff for sure.