6-String Bass Kahler Whammy?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Pawnshopper, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

Have any of you 5- or 6-string bass players used a Kahler bass tremolo? I want to know if Kahler's 5- and 6-string tremolos work as advertised and if any major problems (bridge breakage, string breakage) occur.

I own a fretted 6-string bass and may purchase a fretless 6-string. After I do or do not purchase the fretless, I will buy a Kahler bass tremolo and install it in the spring or early summer. Best-laid plans, and all that. :)

2. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

I'm actually no help on this, as I don't play 5 or 6 string, but I find your question fascinating from a target audience standpoint.

There are less bass players than guitarists.

Less 5 and 6 string players than 4 string.

Less tremolo on basses.

Even on talk bass forum, which is self selecting for the first couple categories, but even there you might have problems finding 5-6 string tremolo players to get an opinion. I'll be fascinated to see if anyone has experience.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

No experience. But I think you should do it to see if I want to. lol

4. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a Carvin V440 with a 4 string Kahler tremolo. I've had it since maybe '95 and have had no issues.

5. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

Agreed. And in my mind's eye, I don't see Tele players hanging out with 6-string bass players who are dive-bombing all night. :lol: But TDPRI has good members with good answers, so I have posted here before browsing lesser sites.

I quickly browsed a website for bass tremolo users, but the posts dealt with 4-stringers. I didn't see any major complaints about Kahler's 4-string tremolos. I trust Kahler to build quality products, but a 5-and 6- string basses are a different beast from a standard 4-stringer.

6. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

I'm hoping to hear the same thing about 5- or 6-string Kahlers. :)

7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I only found this clip

I've been a fan of Kahler bridges for a long time, I've used them both on my guitars and basses but the bass bridges were the fixed kind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.