6 saddle to 3 saddle on a player series tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bebenavole, Nov 14, 2019.

1. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

Hi
    I been thinking about changing the stock player series bridge for a compensated 3 barrel one. Wilkinson WTB bridge comes to mind. Are they a direct swap? Any experiences with other trad style bridges?
    Thanx
    a.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

upload_2019-11-14_16-58-52.jpeg $ 14 each, from Darren Riley.
    Pair with the slightly slanted brass saddles (also from Fender) at $ 20 per set; also from Darren.

I found the Wilkinson by Sung Il assemblies look cheap and are cheap and when you get into the shipping costs, you may as well just get something nice. The price is a wash.

[​IMG]

tamer_of_banthas and Treehouse like this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

There was a recent thread on this topic:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/vintage-style-bridge-for-player-series-lefty.985489/

Oddly, the thread starter said a Wilkinson bridge wouldn't fit his Player Series. If that's true, a Fender plate won't fit, either.

And sorry, Boris, I gotta disagree with this:
    I think, with its jagged edges and uneven bottom surface that has to be straightened or sanded to become flat, the Fender plate is the "cheap" one.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Can't say if it's a "direct swap" or not, but I've used several of the Wilkinson vintage-style bridges with compensated saddles, and I find the quality and appearance to be fantastic. I even used a "left handed" bridge on my latest right handed build, for the opposite pickup "slant".

5. boris bubbanov

Have you ever sanded one of these Wilkinson Sung Il plates flat?

Because if you haven't, please don't. All heck breaks loose - everything corrodes like crazy.

For whatever reason, I can butcher these Fender plates in all sorts of ways, but they stay stable. My sweat isn't bad I suppose. I don't need to worry about corrosion and that means everything to me.

+

I've asked the O.P. on that other thread to send us some images. Something is haywire. There's no reason any MIM with that signature 4 mount hole placement should be off template.

6. LutherBurger

See, that's what I'm saying. I've bought two of the Wilkinsons, and I haven't needed to straighten or flatten them. Straight out of the package they sat perfectly flat on a granite table, but the one Fender plate I purchased (never again) rocked like a hobby horse. Plus, I had to file down the rough edges on the top. The Wilkinson plates don't have those.
    I'm with you, but I haven't seen any information about the new Player series bridges except for the bent-steel saddle debacle. Either he did something wrong, or the new bridge plates have different specs from the old Standard plates.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

I had no trouble with my Wilkinson by Sung Il I put on my MIM Standard. At first I was skeptical because I thought a original bridge would fit best. Well, I don't know about the original plate but the Wilkinson was a slam on, adjust saddles and done! No sanding or bending needed.
    Perfect fit. I was considering a german made ABM bridge, wich was pretty expensive but since I had already a very good experience with one on my Strat that would have been my save option.

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM...eplacement/ABM-3455:::256_92_190_191_192.html

But the Wilkinson was sooo dirt "cheap" I thought I'll give it a shot first. No regrets, only that I bought a nickel finished one instead of chrome.

For those curious about the Strat bridge:

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM-GUITAR-PARTS/Tremolos/Vintage-Replacements/ABM-5050-M::247.html

I don't remember if it was exactly this one, I ordered it from Thomann and all I remember is that the description said: direct replacement for MIM and "fat" stainless steel block wich was what I was after.

8. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

yeah, saw thet post. thats why im asking. There should be no difference in stringhole and screwhole placement.

9. boris bubbanov

I thought you were gonna tell me you've bought 20 of them.

It could be the one I bought was highly defective. Because yeah, the chrome plating on the front was bubbled when I got the package.

Or it could be your two were from a real nice batch.

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

Why would you sand flat the bottom of a bridge plate? It attaches with screws into wood--which is not flat--and it also compresses a bit. And the plate flexes anyway when the screws are snugged down. Sanding a stamped bridge plate is like polishing a cannonball before loading it into the barrel.

I do agree about the quality though; the Sung Il (Wilkinson) bridges are made far better than the Fender branded plates. The Wilky plate is thicker, the metal edges are properly finished after stamping, and the plating is worlds better. The Fender unit is stamped and thinly plated. The metal in the corners of the flange is especially ragged. C'mon, Fender! A little QC?

11. LutherBurger

To eliminate a gap under the front of the bridge that allows the plate to vibrate in the air and make the pickup squeal.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. LutherBurger

I think that's unlikely. The two purchases were four years apart, so I assumed (uh-oh) that high quality was the rule rather than the exception.

13. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

the compensation on the wilk saddles seem too extreme,no?

14. LutherBurger

I chuckled at this earlier and moved on, but what the heck...

I was a Field Artillery officer for a long time, so you chose the right audience for it.

Although cannonballs were rendered obsolete long ago, can you guess what happens when a nick, burr, or similar imperfection is discovered in a modern projectile's brass rotating band?

Yep, you already did. :)

15. LutherBurger

In my experience, the compensation is excellent with .010-.046 strings, and very, very close with .011-.049 strings.

16. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger TDPRI Member

Just installed a Wilkinson by Sung Il compensated vintage 3-saddle to replace a modern 6-saddle and no issues with the Wilkinson at all. Intonated very well, much more twangy.

17. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

what about 9's?

18. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

I have a feeling that the current bridge on the player series just muffles the sound, no?

19. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  20. bebenavole

bebenavole Tele-Meister

have you noticed any change in the character/tone of the guitar?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.