6-saddle, non-ashtray bridge for GFS XGP body

catcherblock

TDPRI Member
hello dads and non-dads. i'm considering building a partcaster because it seems like something to do. i've decided i'd get one of the guitarfetish "premium" XGP bodies because they are hella cheap and i like the colors they offer. the product description says, "The body is predrilled- with six top holes that line up perfectly with all vintage-correct tele bridges, and 6 rear ferrules holes that fit perfectly with our vintage spec 9mm ferrules with a 10mm shoulder." i don't know what a "shoulder" means in this context.

anyone with experience with these bodies know of a decent 6-saddle, non-ashtray bridge that will make for the right scale length? i found a youtube video of this kinda buff dude who said he ordered the GFS "modern" bridge but it messed up the scale length of the XGP body so he got a fender standard mexican bridge which worked. seems like a pretty appealing option since they're only like 30 bucks. i will probably go pretty cheap on most of the parts except for the neck, pickups, and bridge so if anyone has any suggestions on good bridges, i'd love to hear them.

thanks

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
hello dads and non-dads. i'm considering building a partcaster because it seems like something to do. i've decided i'd get one of the guitarfetish "premium" XGP bodies because they are hella cheap and i like the colors they offer. the product description says, "The body is predrilled- with six top holes that line up perfectly with all vintage-correct tele bridges, and 6 rear ferrules holes that fit perfectly with our vintage spec 9mm ferrules with a 10mm shoulder." i don't know what a "shoulder" means in this context.

anyone with experience with these bodies know of a decent 6-saddle, non-ashtray bridge that will make for the right scale length? i found a youtube video of this kinda buff dude who said he ordered the GFS "modern" bridge but it messed up the scale length of the XGP body so he got a fender standard mexican bridge which worked. seems like a pretty appealing option since they're only like 30 bucks. i will probably go pretty cheap on most of the parts except for the neck, pickups, and bridge so if anyone has any suggestions on good bridges, i'd love to hear them.

thanks
Gotoh and Kluson both have bridges that should fit string through holes spaced for a vintage Tele bridge.

TeleBridges.jpg

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
Here's a couple of threads on my experience with XGP. TLDR version is: be willing/prepared to do some corrective woodworking.

I went with 6 saddle Gotoh which says it will fit vintage but with the string thru holes as is, the Gotoh's saddle screw didn't travel far enough to make the 25.5" scale length. The vintage bridge has a longer screw to more than compensate for this.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/burgundy-mist-inspired-build-complete.1061586/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/xgp-t...pull-the-trigger.1053085/page-3#post-10237579

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, the MIM Standard bridgeplate that had 4 screw holes and STB holes farther down on it (towards the bottom strap button) will fit the vintage pattern holes, and can often be found used relatively inexpensively. Here’s a new one on eBay, and you might find one used on a guitar forum’s classifieds.

catcherblock

TDPRI Member
thanks for all the info everyone

insane but i managed to grab a barely used american professional ii neck for a good price and will probably go ahead with this project. i'm going with the fender standard mexican bridge and some fender deluxe drive pickups i already have.

if anyone has recommendations for cheap wiring harnesses, hardware kits, etc., i'd love to hear them.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, no worries, the Gotoh bridge or Kluson should fit just fine. Of all those GFS bodies, the XGPs are USA specs and the ones that I have used have been good. The bridge is a minimal investment, but it is an essential part of the guitar. I wouldn't go too cheap on that.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I've had 3 XGP bodies and every one needed work...bridge/neck alignment, pickup routs, string ferrules that interfered with each other because the holes were misaligned...they're "OK for the money", and some of them look good but don't be too shocked if you get what you pay for.

catcherblock

TDPRI Member
I've had 3 XGP bodies and every one needed work...bridge/neck alignment, pickup routs, string ferrules that interfered with each other because the holes were misaligned...they're "OK for the money", and some of them look good but don't be too shocked if you get what you pay for.
lol yeah, the package came a couple days ago and the holes for the neck are off by like millimeters. trying to figure out what i'm going to do

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I'm about positive no American ever lays eyes on these things...straight from China to some warehouse to you. And when you return it, if he disagrees with your complaint he'll hit you with a "restocking fee".