1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$6 neck!!!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by toadman, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

That neck looks great for such a low price. Looks kind of flamey. Nice. Was the headstock already shaped right, or did you do that?

2. shoretyus

shoretyus Tele-Holic

No I had to take " Fender " off

It 's a little flamey yes
    [​IMG]

3. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Serious?

4. shoretyus

shoretyus Tele-Holic

There was Fender laser printed on the headstock

5. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Yes, I bought two of them, one maple with maple fretboard, the other vintage(amber stain) with rosewood fb. LOVE THEM!. straight, almost perfectly finished frets (nothing a small hammer didn't cure) - the ONLY issue was that the tuner holes were a little tight, had to drill 'em out a teeny bit. New Graphtec nuts (to replace the 'Free' ones) and all is beautiful.

Get some now! GF's stock can fluctuate. But their delivery time - 3 days to Canada - was unprecedented, my second order from them ( lots o' parts) came in 4 days.

Good luck

Peter

===============

Everybody lies. But it doesn’t matter since nobody listens.

6. BlueJim

BlueJim Tele-Holic

I bought a cheap Chinese neck to be a replacement for a Squier Affinity. It arrived with the nut falling out and a small glob of something on the fingerboard between the nut and the first fret. It looked like someone with glue on their finger picked it up. I wrote the company twice about the problem (they didn't seem to understand what I was saying); eventually they sent a new neck, but it had an extra fret so it wasn't usable as a substitute. I gave up requesting a replacement (although I do have two necks now).

I gently sanded off the glob. The frets were leveled but not crowned - lots of flat-topped frets. I smoothed them out a bit. It was a little too wide for the body pocket so I sanded it to fit. I attached the neck, put on the Affinity tuners, new strings, truss rod adjustment (it definitely has one), intonated. It functions, but I don't like either the neck profile or the sound. Sustain has gone from acceptably Tele-twang to a kind of muted nothing. I might have a problem with the nut, but I'm not very motivated to fix it given the neck profile.

Be aware that a cheap neck will likely require a lot of work and that something unexpected like the glue spot may be impossible to explain to your "customer service" contact. I think this is a better option for someone who works on guitars a lot and is prepared to correct any little problems that come along.

Both of the necks they sent had "Fender" printed on the headstock. I didn't ask for that (or want it).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.